Opinions on what to see when on a time budget

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Bebedo26, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Bebedo26

Bebedo26 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My friends and I will be traveling to Cancun in July. While we are staying at an all-inclusive resort, I do not want to only sample a hotel, however nice. I want to see local life and do things besides sit by a pool.

Could you good folks rate the following items in terms of time it takes to do/see, if it is worth the time investment, and any other tips/pointers available?

1. Chichen Itza
    2. Isla Mujheres
    3. SCUBA with whalesharks
    4. Cenotes (if there's a particular site, please let me know!)
    5. Snorkeling (anywhere, in general)

Gracias in advance!!

2. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would suggest snorkeling for sure. It's easy, it's fun and you will see many things that cannot be seen in your hometown, unless you have a fascinating aquarium....even then, your not "one with nature", but rather looking through a glass window.

It's a VERY-NO IMPACT SPORT that is great for all age groups. Young and old alike...everyone can enjoy themselves.

I would suggest doing a tour with a dive operator rather than going to a snorkel park for the true experiance. Most of the parks are full of dead reefs and way too many humans spashing around for you to be able to truly see how facinating this sport can really be.

With respect to scuba, if you are certified, it's worth it to head down to Cozumel and do your dives with an operator there. It is some of the best diving in the world. If you are NOT certified, it's proly not worth trekking to Cozumel due to the time it takes to get there and then get to the dive shop and then take a beginners course that allows you to dive.....and after all of that, do an actual dive.

C-Itza is a full day tour no matter how you choose to get there. If you are really into ruins, I'd suggest doing an overnighter since the transportation time is 6 hours round trip. Laura's guidemaps of C-Itza are an excellent way to do this trip on your own. It prettymuch idiot proofs everything from a-Z including hotels, stops along the way, which route to take, costs, gas stations, tours,etc.

Isla Mujueres is a nice departure from the norm. I think most people really enjoy this trip as it allows you to get away from Cancun for the day, yet doesn't leave you totally wiped out when you get back. Plus, you get to say that you've been to another part of Mexico.

Cenotes are all over the Yucatan and if you have a naturaly curious side, it's worth it to check one out. Again Laura's mapguides have many of them marked off as well as prices, etc.

It sounds like you are more adventourous than average so I would suggest defiently getting away from the resort and exploring the sites. I would focus more on those things that you can't do back home though. For example, you can rent a jet ski pretty much anyplace near water.....I wouldn't recommend doing it in Cancun if it means you'll not be able to do something that is more unique to Cancun/Rivera Maya.

Michelle

3. Bebedo26

Bebedo26 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good tips

I would like to think of myself as an adventurous type, thanks.

So in your opinion, Cenotes are a definite -- which ones? Any place in particular? Where is a good one to go to that is not overrun by tourists but not too far?

I'm not SCUBA certified, so I am guessing that swimming with whalesharks are probably not in my near future....

Chichen Itza has been called the 8th wonder of the world. That's worth a 6-hour round trip to me if there is more to see than a tall piece of stone that you may not be allowed to touch, climb, or otherwise interact with. Have you been there? I'll check out the guide mentioned...

Thanks in advance again!

4. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wouldn't necessarily say to count out swimming with Whale Sharks. If memory serves me correctly, Laura and her family have done that one and really enjoyed it. You could do a search for her post regarding it and/or send her a PM.

It's just not one that I'd do since I'm certified and would rather do a natural dive than a touristy type swim with animals. Since your not certified.....it's worth it if you can sqeeze it into your plans.

C-Itza is more than just a stone, it's ALOT more than that and if your into ruins, it's one of the most popular and I doubt it will disappoint. If you don't mind the long ride.....go for it! If you don't have a money crunch, aerosaab has a tour where they fly you to C-Itza and back. It allows more time at the site and you avoid the MASSIVE bus crowd and most intense heat of the day.

I haven't been to a cenote that was overrun with tourists yet. But, then again, I tend to do everything on my own and NOT with a tour group. I have my maps at the office and can post some options for you on Monday if no one beats me to it.

If you are trying to maximize what you see, you may want to consider getting a rental car for a couple of days since most things are NOT in Cancun proper and MANY options are down highway 307 towards playa and beyond.

You don't need a car for anything you do in Cancun, but if you plan to explore a bit away from the hotel zone, it's worth looking into as it can save you some time and money in the long run.

Michelle

5. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    The best cenotes are down near Tulum. Dos Ojos and Hidden World and Cenote Azul is closer to Puerto Morelos.

Chichen Itza is a must for people travelling to Cancun. Apparently this month you can fly over it in a hot air baloon - can't wait to do that one myself.

A day trip to Isla Mujeres is always worthwhile- though I like to stay the night as the atmosphere at night after the day trippers have gone home is great.

Snorkelling down in Puerto Morelos is great. Have seen a shark, Rays and a turtle down there just off Petempich.

Have a great time
    Tracey

6. LNDRN

LNDRN Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do check out Hidden Worlds Cenote park. We have done this twice and it is an adventure. Their web site Hiddenworlds.com will give you your choice of several underground cenotes. Rent a car from Cancun and head down past Playa del Carmen. Its not that expensive and Lots of fun.

7. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One of the best things to do in Cancun is just to spend a day enjoying the city itself. Jump on a bus and go all the way into downtown Cancun. Stroll up and down the streets, visit the local markets and stores, watch the kids play in the park and playground, then find an open-air restaurant to have a few cold cervazas and watch the world go by. Go on a Wednesday and take in a bull fight first then stay downtown for the afternoon and early evening.

8. stephenj

stephenj Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bullfights

I concur with vrodgers, but be careful of the bullfight. It was quite a spectacle - it is a good show, lots of color and native material, but the bullfight is an actual bullfight, down to the last moments of life for the bull. The show was well run, and I expected, till the last minuite for the bull to get up and trot off....

Steve

9. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think snorkeling is a good idea and you can do this in a half day for sure. Probably the most unique tour happens to also be a half day excursion. Check out the whale shark swim, and find a company that offers a good cancelation and rescheduling policy. The reputable ones not only offer this if you do not make a sighting, but they also display their license number on their websites. This is important because you have to book this tour in advance to make sure you get a reservation. Swimming with a dolphin is another possibility to consider as well. Check out the CANCUN TOP 100 for all sorts of great tour options and prices.

212eric

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice