Opinions on Discos/Clubs

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Melanie, Oct 24, 2003.

?

Your favourite Cancun club

1. La Boom/Tequila Boom

93.8%
  2. Coco Bongo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dady O

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mambo Cafe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bulldog

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Senor Frogs

6.3%
  7. Fat Tuesday

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to agree with Elizabeth about Sabor Latino.

I uses to love Mambo Cafe (and still do) and would choose going there over aboout just any other place in Cancun.

But, once I went to Sabor Latino, I was hooked. I think I've been there 4 or 5 times now and it is always a great time.

Definitely check it out--you won't be disappointed.

Karan

2. Sparkey

Sparkey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Elizabeth,

Great avitar, Steve better watch his step!

3. Scott&Penny

Scott&Penny Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You forgot Carlos & Charlies and Glazz on the poll :)
    Can't wait to get back in May. A friend of mine just got back and went to Glazz and said its a lil expensive but alot like your in NY or South Beach.

4. Cancunbaby

Cancunbaby Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On this past trip, we only did CocoBongo, La Boom, Carlos & Charlies and Dady Rock/Dady O.

I don't know if it had to do with the time of the year we were in Cancun (October) but La Boom was DEAD. Carlos & Charlies was fun but that was because we met a group there or else the cemetary would have had more life than that place. My favorite dance spot was Dady Rock/Dady O but I loved the shows at Coco Bongo and was able to really get my groove on. So I guess Coco Bongo won my vote!!

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,206 / 14
    thought I'd bump this one to the top - its an often asked question so lets have some more votes and views.

12 is not much good from 572 members!

6. SirMoose

SirMoose Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would have to say that CocoBongo is the cant miss place in Cancun...even though I've been twice now and probally will skip it next trip, it is something you have to see at least once. The other place that noone has mentioned is the foam party at up&down (Oasis hotel). Didn't make it last trip, but the time I did go It was probally one of the best nights.

7. catie

catie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so much depends on personal preference

personal preference is such a big factor in taking advice and reading the boards. for example, despite it being a fave of many and featured on E!entertainment tv, i HATED coco bongo. could not wait to leave. 3 hours later i made by escape. here is my experience, and i stress it is only MY experience and MY opinion so pls don't attack me if you love the club.

i was very excited to go to coco bongo b/c of the feedback and opinions expressed on the boards and all of my research. went on a saturday in early october and i learned very quickly it is all about your own expectations and personal preference when you are researching. (which goes without saying. i guess i forgot that when planning!)

DISCLAIMER:
    again, just trying to present all opinions here on my fave cancun board. i will admit that with more drinks i may have enjoyed coco bongo a bit more but see commentary on open bar below to understand why i did not drink more...

STADIUM STYLE SEATING:
    the way i read the posts lead me to believe that "stadium style seating" meant it was a huge club with lots of room. it even looks huge from the outside. it is not huge on the inside, in fact i would describe it as very small for such a "world famous" club. it has a few levels to choose from and you are crammed in where ever you go. by stadium style i think people mean there are steps leading to a few different levels and a cramped areas to stand. (think middleschool basketball stands with bleachers, and only a few at that) very few tables available (not that you want to sit all night but a table to rest drink or seat to rest bum is appreciated at times). it is very dark and closed in. reminded me of a small, big city club, not the more open feeling of other clubs in cancun.

OPEN BAR:
    $28 and a waste. restricted to one bar, upstairs in a corner, and it is even more cramped up there. can't take more than one drink downstairs- bouncers will make you throw it away if you bring more than one drink to the downstairs area. the drink choices are restricted of course and the alcohol can barely be called that- horrible tasting and believe me, i tried several types to try and get me through the night. if you ignore all of my advice about the club in general, do yourself a favor and just pay the $7 for the real margarita or real drink, and don't get sucked into the bargin bracelet for $28. if you do get the $28 deal, beer and shots are best bet because can't screw up draft beer and at least with shots the awful taste is over more quickly!!

SHOWS:
    people rave about the shows so i built them up in my mind. Don't! you are better off not expecting a lot and being surprised if you like them. they are ok but i did not feel they were "vegas style spectacular" as advertised. and forget seeing the shows if you are at the open bar area upstairs. if you are not tall, unless u are right in front smashed against the railing, you can't even see the shows. the acrobatics in the middle of the club (there are a few of these) are ok but the impersonators were not great. more funny in my opinion. my favorite of the night- spiderman flying around over the crowds. the bright lights and confetti are fun at first but overdone throughout the night-- again, maybe i just needed more alcohol.

MUSIC:
    YMCA, Hot, Hot, Hot and other (overplayed) party favorites. Not the place if you want techno or even great dance music. the madonna and michael jackson medley were pretty cool, thought the m.j. impersonator wasn't (same guy who does freddy mercury and elvis i believe)

overall i am glad i went so i know it is not my type of club. whatever you do, have fun! just thought i would share a different opinion...

8. Mikey

Mikey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    catie- you are right about different people/different expectations. Thanks for being honest.

The one time that I have gone to the club was back in 2000 when I went on a pub crawl. During the night that I went they didn't have the show, so I can't say anything about it.

For the drinks, I drank beer (since that time when I go to clubs I will drink beer and frozen drinks to get the water for hydration and will do shots.

When I did the pub crawl they took us to the upper level, which was fine with me because during the time that we where there at times t-shirts, bandanas, etc was thrown to the crowd. During one of those I was standing a foot or so away from the railing when I saw something land between me and another person, I looked at him then looked down and saw that a bandana had landed so I oicked it up, I still have it.

All in all Coco Bongo is a place I will go to again.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,206 / 14
    Thanks for the input Catie, dont ever worry about being criticised here for your thoughts. It's clear you have been to Coco Bongo and all opinions are valid.

In fact, I agree with you about the open bar (see my first post) it was tucked away at the top of the club and we didnt have the best time when we tried it - I wanted to drink and my wife didnt, but due to the separation and not letting people switch between bars we ended up paying for open bar for Jannet even though she only wanted a couple of cokes.

I quite liked the shows (although I never been to Vegas so I can't comment on the comparison)

What we do now at Coco Bongo is just buy entrance only and then tell the staff we are going to buy some bottles of Aboslut Vodka and want a nice table. Last time they found us a great area to sit - in fact they kicked some people out of the seats which I felt a little guilty about, delivered the Absolut with a selection of mixers and treated us well all night. The Absolut cost about $100 a bottle, we had 3 of them between 10 people, total bill plus tip about $400.

I thought that pretty good, as with open bar at $28 plus say $10 tip to ensure good service theres next to no difference and we had a great night that night.

10. Tizzod

Tizzod Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While I was at Cancun in August of 2003 I went to La BOOM/Tequila Boom, bulldog, senor frogs. I thought the best club was La Boom/Tequila boom they had a constant mix of music great light shows, you could get up on the bars and the bartenders would just do crazy stuff. Getting drinks was not a problem here, bulldog cafe was alright a little to much rock for me and it was very very crowded hard to get a drink but they've got a hot tub and a live band that comes out which is pretty cool. As far as Senor Frogs I think it's to expensive and IMO overrated. Not to much going on there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice