Online ordering

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by je007, Sep 6, 2013.

1. je007

je007 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone order stuff online? if so, is delivery to your house/apt or do your delevery at a mail center? does it take longer than in the states? anyone with answers is helpful

2. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I order a lot of stuff online, but nearly all from Ebay. It's the only one I've found with reasonable shipping, usually. I have everything shipped through post service because DHL, Fedex and UPS will usually be hit with import duties. I've never paid import duties through Correos de Mexico. I've only ordered direct form U>S companies a couple of times. Everything is delivered to my door.

3. je007

je007 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    whats an average cost? if you dont mind me asking

4. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Averge cost of what, shipping? If you order from China it's mostly free. From the U.S., it can vary from cheap to kind of expensive, but I've never paid import duties as long as I stay away from DHL, Fedex, UPS. Amazon is expensive shipping and you pay import duties. There's a lot of stuff that can't be shipped outside the U.S.but Ebay gets around a lot of that. I buy a lot of stuff from China. It's cheap, the shipping is free or real cheap, and there are no import duties if you stick to national postal service.

5. Opatije

Opatije Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agree 100%. I'd rate my experience shipping items from China as excellent. Items arrive fast and shipping is usually free. As indicated, use Correos de Mexico.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's good to know. I order a lot on Amazon and eBay as do several friends. I don't travel back to the states so much these days but I used to be the "mule" for a handful of friends.

Now I have several US shipping addresses. Last month I got a Vitamix muled down by some NY friends. The previous month a had a Wisconsiin friend bring me down an alarm system. More than a couple of computers and iPads over the years. Have some things coming this weekend from Philly. On the 23rd I have things coming from Atlanta. More in Nov from Philly. This is a case of not what you know but who you know. The best way to have good friends is to be one.

Payback. A friend in the states contacted me tonight. She needs something sent to the states that is urgent and did I know anyone going that way. Yep, this Thurs and next Wed. Made a call to the leaving for LAX friend as she is muling it. I have to get the stuff, get it packed, addressed and stamped, and have it ready to go on Wed. Tomorrow I have to scare up about $4 of US stamps.

Can anyone help a brother out with stamps? Will pay of course. Can probably even replace with my Philly friend who will arrive Sunday. How about this! A network of mules.

But glad to hear about the favorable Correos experience. May give the mules a rest. Fast is really great. Thanks Tristan and Opatije for this info.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    So the regular post is ok for ordering stuff from Amazon and Ebay in the US? Lots of stuff I'd like to order but I keep it to a minimum and get forum friends to bring stuff down for me.

I'm still waiting for Christmas cards posted to me from the States in 2006 so never wanted to risk it. Maybe it's changed for the better?

8. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do have to say that the stuff from China takes about 30 days most times, but the shipping is free or ridiculously cheap, so, who can bitch. Besides, I've learned a lot of patience living here. Since i order so much stuff, there's always something arriving, anyway. I would be lost without Ebay. I had never used them till I got to Mexico. I get all my electronics from them. I even send gifts to people in other countries that way. Also, the service from Ebay sellers and Ebay is amazing. Amazon's shipping rates are way too high, and you can't really escape import duties, either. A couple of things from Ebay have been lost in the mail, but they always refund or reship. If you're desperate for the item, you probably should find some other source, though. Or, you can always pay for expedited shipping.

Btw, Correos de Mexico employees have always given me excellent and friendly service. They actually even know me at the window, now. I did have one carrier a while back that seemed to hold back packages, so I went and complained a couple of times, and he was soon replaced. i don't know if that had anything to do with it, but my new carrier is awesome. They ask me every time I go to pick up a package if my carrier is giving me good service.

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Tristan, could you clarify what you mean when you say you have things shipped from China? Are you buying direct from the company in question, or buying from Chinese Ebay services, or other?

10. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From American Ebay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice