OLD MEXICO

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by carrie82, Jun 18, 2007.

1. carrie82

carrie82 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My mum and dad travelled down the coast of Mexico for about 2 years in 1980, my whole family are going to Cancun in August for 2 weeks, and my dad has a crazy idea that he is going to drive from cancun to puerto vallerta as he wants to see 'Old Mexico' I have told him that there is no way he could do that it would take forever! is there anywhere nearer to cancun that is not comercialized that he could visit, (i think he wants to relive his youth!)

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lots of areas in the Yucatan that are far less commercialized than Cancun. Vallodolid and Merida come to mind as excellent alternatives to the crazy drive to the other coast. (The drive to Mexico City is about 24 hours if that gives you any idea!) Even going down the coast of the Riviera Maya you'll find Puerto Morelos, Tulum, Akumal, etc., that are nothing like the McMexico you find in Cancun. Driving to Chiapas or Campeche are also much easier alternatives to the coast drive.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Valladolid has a long, interesting and bloody history. If Mexican history interests him he'll enjoy it there.

4. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Merida is beautiful. If he wants a taste of Old Mexico be sure to check the local schedule there to catch a folk dance or some local festival.

Even in CanCun we ALWAYS make sure we go to Parque de las Palapas once or twice at night during the week. It seems there's always something going on. . .and the street food there is great.

5. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Campeche! The first Mass was presided there. It was once a pirate town. Much of the city walls are intact with baluartes and forts overlook the town to the north and south. Quiet town, beautiful, and (in our experience) not spoiled by lots of tourists.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice