Oil Change - who does it better?!?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by vrodgers, Mar 14, 2006.

1. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oil Change instructions for Women :

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.

2) Drink a cup of coffee.

3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:

Oil Change $20.00
    Coffee $1.00

Total $21.00

Oil Change instructions for Men:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.

2) Stop by 7 - 11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.

3) Open a beer and drink it.

4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.

12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.

16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.

17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.

18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of taking it back to Kragen to recycle.

19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.

20) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.

21) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.

22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.

23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

24) Remember drain plug from step 11.

25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along with drain plug.

27) Drink beer.

28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt into hole. Steal sand from kids sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas.

29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.

30) Drink beer.

31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.

32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.

33) Begin cussing fit.

34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.

35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.

36) Beer.

37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.

38) Beer.

39) Beer.

40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

41) Beer.

42) Lower car from jack stands.

43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.

44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.

45) Beer.

46) Test drive car.

47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.

48) Car gets impounded.

49) Call loving wife, make bail.

50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:

Parts $50.00
    DUI $2500.00
    Impound fee $75.00
    Bail $1500.00
    Beer $40.00

Total - - $4,165.00

But you know the job was done right by the man!!! :p :p

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Oil Changes! :D

I hope Suzanne gets to see this when she returns from SB. She has such a dirty mind :roll:

3. Aaronm22

Aaronm22 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If only it were $20. The basic quicky lube deal costs you around $35 now. Around $65 if your car requires synthetic oil.

I'd rather get a buzz and do it myself. Save the test drive for the next day.

4. jennydawn

jennydawn Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most cars get oilchanges every 5000 miles now instead of 3k. I work for a Toyota/Lexus/BMW store so I am not just talking out of my ass! haha

5. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Nice, jenny [​IMG]

6. jennydawn

jennydawn Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Michael :)

7. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Got a pic of that? :p

8. Aaronm22

Aaronm22 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unfortunately 3rd party oil analysis shows that standard oil filters lose their efficiency between 2500-3500 miles causing the oil to be dirty to the point that it loses it's protective ability. In many cases the oil filter clogs and bypasses which does absolutely no filtering. Unless you change your oil filter at 1500, 3000, and 4500 your oil can not stay clean enough to protect your engine to 5000 miles. The damage may be minimal but any damage is bad. My manual may say 5k but I plan on having my car at 200k miles.

9. jennydawn

jennydawn Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unfortunately most people do choose to have their oil changes done by aftermarket companies, such as jiffy lube. Companies such as this do not use factory authorized oil filters which are specifically designed to maintain the life of the oil and protect it from being "filtered" through a clogged filter. The reason these places can provide such cheap oil changes is that they use cheap part (i.e oil filters)
    Which is also why most vehicles these days have required maintinence lights to alert the driver if there is a need for an oil change before the recomended 5k.
    I see vehicles come through our service department everyday with over 200k miles on them and they have always had their oil changes done at 5000 schedule. They have also had all of the work done by factory certified maintinence shops.

10. Ant95

Ant95 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my oil changes are free as well as any serive to my car......father owns a garage hahaaa

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice