Official Swine Flu Thread

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by darkladydi, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The sad thing is that when you fly, it only takes one person to get on board with a cold and or any other virus to make everybody else onboard sick. My wife always gets bronchitis after flying it seems like.

It doesn't make a difference where we fly... either domestically or internationally. But she does fair better when flying to Cancun. After reading about viruses being unable to survive for prolonged periods in humidity, I now know why.

2. ffto

ffto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's just the Flu. :evil:

We face the Flu every year, and second and third generations of this are mild.

I had rather have the Flu than Montezuma's Revenge.

Again it's just a Flu.

I am ready to enjoy Cancun May 13 to 20th without worries. :p :D :p

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    And I'm inclined not to trust the spin from someone who is clearly trying to make money out of this whole situation. I find it ironic that the very thing you make money from (Google tourism ads) is the very thing you are trying so hard to discourage.

36,000 people from the USA and 4,000 Canadians die every year to regular flu and it barely makes the news.

4. ffto

ffto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well said Steve,

This is just the Flu like we face every year.

It is just the Flu, nothing more, nothing less.

People try to post all kinds of stuff, real or not who knows the truth. We can not rely on the news to be factual.

I am more worried about it here in the states than in Cancun.

People from Mexico City come to the US rather than Cancun for the most part.

The most recent scare was the peanuts in my home town, hell I am eating peanuts right now.

Why would someone be obsessed with this without a reason to compensate? HMMM A thought to ponder. No accusations just a thought.

Again, this is just the Flu not the plague.

Don

5. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    SteveSteve:
    You are doing a great job of discouraging people to come to Cancun or Mexico for that matter.

There are no confirmed or suspicious cases in Cancun or its area. The cases in Mexico City are due to people not going to seek medical care on a timely basis. Had they done that, they would still be around. All American and other foreigners have recovered or are in the process of recovering from the flu.

All everyone is doing is trying to find out where this came from, how to stop it and prevent it from getting to be too serious of a matter.

The World Health Organization has issued an upgrade of the warnings for travelers, yet everyone is told by them that it is ok to travel with caution and what precautions to take. They make it clear that people should not panic as they are currently doing and should not cancel their trips as long as they look out for the possible measurements to prevent any flu including this one.

So to all others who read this, everything you are reading is a lot of hype. Few know really what is going on, and none of them are on any of the Cancun forums. So till you really know what to do, please do not spread all this scary monger stuff. Just tell people to enjoy with caution, and they will be fine.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I understand it there have been no confirmed cases of swine flu in Cancun, yet.

But Noticaribe did run a story this morning saying that out of 22 cases in Cancun which they were concerned about 15 have been discarded as definitely not swine flu. I understand they are waiting for analysis of the other 7.

http://www.noticaribe.com.mx/cancun...s_sospechosos_de_influenza_en_quintana_r.html

We will see what happens.

7. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It was reported on the news HOWEVER IT DOES NOT EFFECT OUR AREA, YET. It is in DF and Chetumal as of now. It was also announced at a meeting at IMSS.
    The more I hear I willl let you know from the Hospital.
    I talked to a few doctors (Doctoras) today and they laughed it off and said it was fine here.
    Actually they were a little pissed off at the media's "Panic" here. We are so far from DF it isn't going to make a differance.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are "so far" from DF, yet so close. In Cancun we get 20+ direct flights a day from Mexico City. If the flu is there it could be here in 2 hours. I'm not saying it will come here, just that a 2 hour flight is nothing and could change everything.

9. stevesteve

stevesteve Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, folks, I have been quoting official media, but I guess it is too negative and would discourage people from going at this time. I think that is a good thing, but most people on this board think it is a bad thing.

So I am going to sign off for a while, and come back when good news are in again. I would then be the good news messenger and everyone would love me :D

Adios,

steve

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    By close.. do you think they mean only allowing a limited number of people in such as they did in the days after Wilma, or completely CLOSED? I cant really envision the authorities being stupid enough to completely cut people off from their everyday shopping needs..... and creating a huge panic and associated looting! but then again.. this is Mexico..... :shock:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice