Official Swine Flu Thread

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by darkladydi, Apr 25, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I find it a little disturbing that Swine Flu cases are being attributed to trips to Cancun when we have no confirmed cases here. How can that be? It defies logic.

I wonder if those travelers' planes went through Mexico City?

Are there cases in Cancun that have not been identified? No one I know of is sick, or knows anyone who is sick. There are no rumors, unsubstantiated or not, about the flu being here. I find this very weird. But time (and the media) will tell I guess.

2. stevesteve

stevesteve Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Filling up? Maybe then. Now Rivergirl is twitting EMPTY planes landing and full planes taking off from Cancun airport, where her husband works.

3. stevesteve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What do you think of the noticarible article I posted (see prev. thread page). I have read the translated version only, but you can probably read the Spanish version. Are the officials being 'aggressive' with sharing news on this subject? I mean we just find out about suspected cases.....

4. BoulderFun

BoulderFun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    New Jersey now has 5 confirmed and were at a level 4 :( this sucks! for all of us.

5. stevesteve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CDC Updat - breaking news: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluMexico.aspx?s_cid=tw_epr_78

Travel Health Warning
    Travel Warning: Swine Influenza and Severe Cases of Respiratory Illness in Mexico — Avoid Nonessential Travel to Mexico
    This information is current as of today, April 27, 2009 at 20:10 EDT
    Updated: April 27, 2009
    Current Situation

As of April 27, 2009, the Government of Mexico has reported 18 laboratory confirmed human cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. Investigation is continuing to clarify the spread and severity of the disease in Mexico. Suspect clinical cases have been reported in 19 of the country's 32 states. The World Health Organization (WHO), the Global Alert and Response Network (GOARN), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have sent experts to Mexico to work with health authorities. CDC has confirmed that seven of 14 respiratory specimens sent to CDC by the Mexican National Influenza Center are positive for swine influenza virus and are similar to the swine influenza viruses recently identified in the United States.

On April 25, the WHO Director-General declared this event a Public Health Emergency of International Concern under the rules of the International Health Regulations. CDC and state public and animal health authorities are currently investigating 20 cases of swine flu in humans in California, Texas, Kansas, Ohio, and New York City. Some of the U.S. cases have been linked to travel to Mexico. At this time, only two of the 20 cases in the U.S. have been hospitalized and all have recovered, but deaths are reported to have occurred in Mexico. CDC is concerned that continued travel by U.S. travelers to Mexico presents a serious risk for further outbreaks of swine flu in the United States.
    CDC Recommendations

At this time, CDC recommends that U.S. travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico. Changes to this recommendation will be posted at http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/.

Please check this site frequently for updates.

6. stevesteve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't find this very treatment of a human being.
    ---------------

Toronto - Canadian officials have barred a Canadian woman in Mexico from re-entering Canada.

While vacationing in Mexico, 29-year-old Victoria George suffered a severe asthma attack that sent her into cardiac arrest. She now lies in a coma in a Mexican hospital.

Her sister Caroline told 680News the family is trying to stay focused. "To just get her back home, that would be the best," she said.

Mexican doctors have confirmed several times Victoria is not affected with swine flu.

The family said they have contacted the World Health Organization and the Ministry of Health to try and get her home.
    http://www.680news.com/news/headlines/more.jsp?content=20090427_101940_4912

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I would be more concerned traveling to NYC where there are 20 confirmed cases, rather than Cancun where there are none even classed as suspected :roll:

8. Ken and Darcie

Ken and Darcie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    nothing like trying to get the whole world scarred to death. Wow i think theirs weapons of mass destruction buried in mexico too!

9. Bama-fan

Bama-fan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree Rivergirl, They must have changed planes in Mexico City. The only worry I had for this Saturdays trip to Playa, was sitting in the Atlanta terminal next to where passengers from Mexico City depart from thier plane. But I heard rumor they discontinued M.C. service until further notice, Anyone know for sure?

10. stevesteve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am inclined to believe the "official" reports :roll: :roll: that all is well in the paradise.

"MEXICO CITY – Two weeks after the first known swine flu death, Mexico still hasn't given medicine to the families of the dead. It hasn't determined where the outbreak began or how it spread. And while the government urges anyone who feels sick to go to hospitals, feverish people complain ambulance workers are scared to pick them up."

"Nobody believes the government anymore," said Edgar Rocha, a 28-year-old office messenger. He said the lack of information is sowing distrust: "You haven't seen a single interview with the sick!"

"Indeed, Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova was defensive at a news conference Monday as he was peppered with questions about why Mexico took so long to identify the outbreak, attempt to contain its spread and provide information."

Mexico faces criticism over swine flu response
    yahoo link

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice