Official Swine Flu Thread

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by darkladydi, Apr 25, 2009.

1. saritacarita

saritacarita Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    *nodding* :lol:

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Poll

This is a question for Cancun Residents only. Did you or any of your family and/or friends experience mild colds, sniffles, low-grade fevers and or chills in the months of January, February or March?

I'll explain in a later posting if I get a significant response to the qustion.

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Poll

Check your pms.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14

Not at all, in fact in the almost 5 years I've been here I've never really had a cold let alone the flu. Same goes for Jannet. Dani has had a few colds but you expect that with kids.

5. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    flu

Yes, Mix, but I have really bad allergies and have basically been sick since August.....but it was HORRIBLE in February. ix,

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Somehow I doubt that the bars and restaurants will be closing.. I guess the loophole is they don't allow more than 80 people in...

I expect most places are activity turning away anyone displaying signs of a cold or flu.. or even allergies (which I constantly fight).

8. Sosai X

Sosai X Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay, I was fine with coming to Cancun this weekend as I hadn't heard anything about bars, restaurants and discotheques being closed.

Now I'm concerned! Are they really going to close down places like Sr. Frog's, Coco Bongo, etc? My wife and I are coming down Saturday, bringing four other people with us and plan to stay for a week - but I'll have serious thoughts about cancelling the trip if I can't go out and have a good time at night! :shock:

Can I get some updates on this from you guys on the ground there?

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Okay. I've gotten enough emails and PMs to go forward with this, but first, take a moment to read some of the items here: http://bit.ly/gLwMU

Next, here's why I asked about people being sick earlier in the year: RG has repeatedly asked about people showing symptoms as they get off the airplane while Cancun is listed as having zero proven cases. I posed that question and a couple of ideas to three physicians who are friends of mine. One is in practice here in Cancun, the other two practice in the US. The theory we came up with, and, in looking at the Google charts RG pointed, is to a certain extent supported follows.

In the real "Spanish" flu pandemic of 1918-1920 and again in the Swine flu outbreak of 1976, there was a brief flurry of infections folowwed by a dip in numbers that lasted 30 to 50 days (depending who's counting) and then the virus came roaring back. So what does this quasi history lesson have to do with us in Cancun?

It is possible that a mild flu was already present in Cancun earlier this year? In my household, my wife, myself, our visiting granddaughter and her father were all hit with the typical runny nose, aching joints and spikey fevers associated with the flu. By early March we were fine. Most of the emails I received have described the same sort of time line.

It is possible, and I emphasize possible, that the current flu that's going home on flights out of Cancun is the genetic child of the milder flu that seems to have been around earlier this year. Having sniffled our way through it, those that had it now carry a sufficient antibody titer so that we're not suffering, but we're still capable of passing the now mutated virus on to our visitors. Given the one to two week average vacation, the probable incubation period coincides very nicely with the onset of symptoms.

As I said, this is a theory based on sketchy information tossed around by a couple of science geeks and has as many holes in it as a well seasoned swiss cheese. Nevertheless, it deserves some thought.

As for the link above, which is a Google search on "1976 flu debacle", it should give one pause over the hysteria that's being stirred up by the media and the governments' Desire to appease the media and not neccessarily do what's best from a scientific point of view.

Just my opinion. Let the flames begin.

10. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another "Sit in" on a meeting of all the Doctors from all the local Hospitals here. Still NO SWINE FLU!!! Not a case reported.
    Stop listening to CNN and get your butt down here and catch a great tan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice