Official crappy weather thread

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Dec 13, 2006.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bless you for this thread! I've been going crazy and getting progressively more depressed. The sun is out now, hope it lasts!

I got absolutely drenched on the way to work yesterday, had to borrow an extra uniform (Shrek sized) and then teach with wet bra, underwear and shoes. I was not a happy camper! The roads are crap (or closed), everything is just shite with this weather. And no, in my three years I have NEVER seen it like this. My Cancunense students are pretty much saying the same thing, that it is not common at all. Pinche El Nino!

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I must continue to complain about the weather (haha). Max has been sick off and on since this started. I tried to blame it on the school but it must just be the damp. I have never dealt with more mocos in my life, little fountain! (I guess there are advantages, he's learning how to blow his nose by himself, though that's a messy affair too!)

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah h*ll, it's pouring again. I'm getting more and more freaked out about driving in the pothole prone parts of town. I'm going to hit a pothole and have my airbags go off!

I can't believe that the city of Cancun cannot pave the streets properly! WTF is WRONG with those idiots?!? We should not have man-eating potholes open up every time it rains! I know everyone hates Chacho, but when Chacho was Mayor of Cancun the streets near my house were in FAR better condition (and they collected the garbage more regularly too). The present administration is letting the infrastructure go to h*ll, imho!

4. R.I. GAL

R.I. GAL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very sorry to hear you are all experiencing bad weather :( Hope it changes for the better soon :D

P.S. It could be worse....it could be snowing :!:

Hang in there :!:

5. YamYamMan

YamYamMan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All this on a day when the UK announced its the HOTTEST year on record since records began in 1850 - with the top 10 warmest years have all occurred in the last 12 years :shock:

Effects of global warming????

6. Island Hopper

Island Hopper Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are arriving in Cancun this coming Monday and staying all week. What is the local news saying about the weather next week? I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I need some sun and beaches.

Bob

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was talking about this same issue a few days ago with a local friend. He explained to me that the city DOES provide the money and instruct the roads to be built with the appropriate levels of asphalt so that they will last several years. HOWEVER, what inevitably happens is the contractors only pave with the bare minimum thickness (about 3 inches) and pocket what is left of the money (which adds up to quite a lot over several miles of roads) and at the same time it insures them future work “repairing” or repaving the roads. If there are any inspectors I expect they get “bought” aswell. You can look at some of these potholes and see that the concrete/asphalt is VERY thin. Then you can look at the work they are doing on the highway coming into town and see the concrete is nearly a foot deep with rebar running through it…that is how a road is supposed to be made, but as soon as you hit the Cancun area the pothole madness starts.

8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Three inches! LOL. Looks to be almost one in a lot of places.

9. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The thickness of the asphalt is usually not the problem. Even in NY the department of trans. only requires 1.5" of top coat asphalt and 2.5" of a binder course of asphalt. That generally works even with all of our freeze/thaw cycles and all the rain and snow we get here. And yes, it rains more here than in Seattle. The problem is how the construct the sub base. Cheap contractors do not prepare it correctly, and instead of excavating a 12" deep channel and filling it with the appropriate material, they throw some gravel down and pave it over. The earth below the gravel washes away and you get your cenote sized potholes waiting to feast on little Toyotas. I have seen them doing road work down near Tulum and they were not even close to building the road correctly. It is a system designed to fail insuring the contractors with years worth of paid repair work.

Hope the weather clears up for you guys soon:D

10. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank god it's not just me - isn't depression due to bad weather actually a recognised thing?
    This sucks, tours are cancelled, other events we planedd are cancelled and my poor pup hasn't had a decent walk in days (it's not me that doesn't want to take him the rain - he refuses to go outside and sits on the steps looking at me and squinting up at the sky).
    It was kind of funny to see bright red faced tourists yesterday evening - I guess they made the most of their hour of sun yesterday!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice