Oct. 5 Article on Beach Renovation

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jim in Cancun, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Article from Oct. 23, 2008

Date Confirmed for Beach Recovery
    Written by: Fausto Adrian - 22/10/2008

Cancún.- The head of SEMARNAT (Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales--Secretariat of Environment and Natural Rescources), Rafael Elvira Quezada, confirms that in February they will start up the beach recovery. in Cancún, Isla Mujeres, Riviera Maya and Cozumel, and they will conclude in May.
    (Don't get too excited yet--read on.)

Once they get the loan from Banobras for 285 million pesos and have a technical and political decision but, above all, after the hurricane season ends in November, in February they will start work on the beach recovery of the beaches in Cancún, but also at this time they will take place in Isla Mujeres, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, stated the Secretary of the Environment (SEMARNAT) Juan Rafael Elvira Quezada.

“So this work will be done from February, March and April so that very probably for the month of May we this all finished and have a permanent fund that can have financial support for the maintenance of this work."

In February, they will bring in all of the equipment and they will begin with the placement of the geo-textiles that will function as breakwaters for the 36,000 lineal but not continuous meters.

However the indications of the hoteliers, Municipal and State govenrment in regards to the work of bringing in the sand to the beaches is through joint contributions, Elvira Quezada, stated that the investment is exclusively from the Federal government.

In order to carry out the work of beach recovery, a technical study from the Mexican Institute of Water Technology and the Federal Electrical Commission will be used.

Additionally, the head of the SEMARNAT said that they are still waiting for the Senate to improve the 25% increase in charge for the Zona Federal Marítimo Terrestre (ZOFEMAT) tax that will generate economic resources that will guarantee permanent maintenance.
    ------------------------------
    Confirman fecha para recuperación de playas
    Escrito por: Fausto Adrian - 22/10/2008
    Categoría: Empresariales | Nota del Día
    Visto: 6 veces

Cancún.- Confirma el titular de SEMARNAT, Rafael Elvira Quezada, que en febrero arrancará la recuperación de playas en Cancún, Isla Mujeres, Riviera Maya y Cozumel, y concluirán en mayo.

Una vez que se cuenta con el crédito por parte de Bonobras de 285 millones de pesos y se tiene una definición técnica y política, pero sobre todo, que habrá concluido desde noviembre la temporada de huracanes en febrero del 2009 se comenzará con los trabajos de recuperación de playas de Cancún, pero en esta ocasión también se llevarán a cabo en Isla Mujeres, Cozumel y Playa del Carmen, afirmó el secretario del Medio Ambiente (SEMARNAT) Juan Rafael Elvira Quezada.

“Entonces estos trabajos se van a desarrollar desde febrero, marzo y abril, para que ya muy probablemente en el mes de mayo, tengamos ya todo esto terminado y contar con un fondo permanente que pueda tener apoyo, financiero para el mantenimiento de estos trabajos”.

En febrero se traerá todo el equipamiento y se comenzará con la colocación de los geo textiles, que funcionarán como rompe olas en los 36 mil metros lineales, no continuos.

No obstante los señalamientos de hoteleros, gobierno municipal y estatal en el sentido que estos trabajos de vertido de arena serían una aportación conjunta, Elvira Quezada, afirmó que la inversión será exclusiva del Gobierno Federal.

Para poder llevar a cabo los trabajos de recuperación de playas, se empleará el estudio técnico del Instituto Mexicano de Tecnología del Agua y la Comisión Federal de Electricidad.

Por otra parte el titular de la SEMARNAT dijo que aún están en la espera de que la Cámara de Senadores apruebe el incremento del 25% al cobro de impuesto de la Zona Federal Marítimo Terrestre (ZOFEMAT), que servirá para la generación de recursos económicos que garantizarán el mantenimiento permanente.

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. chaz517

chaz517 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    any more news on this? i look at this post almost daily lol. very interesting

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haven't seen anything lately. Lots of buck passing. Everyone wants it and no one wants to pay for it.

There has been the case of the Royal Cancun Caribe that has been in trouble---even internationally--for rebuilding its own beach and putting the huge tube-like sandbags out in front of his hotel without government permission. Someone (The Governor) did finally stand up for the owner and said he did it to protect his hotel. At least he did something! Personally I think it's better to get in trouble for doing something than for doing nothing!!

5. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I should mention that during the last 2 weeks at least some of the Cancun beaches have recovered on their own.

6. chaz517

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i agree. no one should be punished for saving there own property from more damage. what area is the beach naturally coming back in? i know this time of yr cancun always regains some beach. it sure needs it, thanks jim!!!

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have noticed a lot more beach in the areas from Bay View Grand to the Hyatt Cancun Caribe.

8. chaz517

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thats great to hear. im staying at salvia condos which is right next door to bay view, so hopefully they will get some beach as well. that area is very rocky.thanks for the updates. i will continue to check on this topic everyday lol

9. Albert in NM

Albert in NM Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Jim what can you tell me about the beach around the Cancun palace we plan on going in Feb of next year from 7 to the 14 2009 if the beach is rocky I may want to look to playa de Carmen can you help me out Thanks Albert in NM :D

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I live down the block from the Palace. There is no beach. The sea breaks against the wall of the hotel's pool area. If the beach is important, go elsewhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice