Occupy Wall Street, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Oct 18, 2011.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I was just wondering what you folks think about the Occupy Wall Street movement? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Just curious.

2. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    a million thoughts about it but most of them revolve around....

why is the media paying so much attention to this and trying to make it news worthy

in dallas they had a handful of these "occupants" (whom i would have presumed to just be homeless people) in a park and local news channels were there - doing what they do

creating news instead of reporting on news

we have gatherings bigger than these in our pool and trust me we talk about a lot more than these guys do

lol

3. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    I know people are upset. I get that… but this just reminds me of the line “Rage at the Machine!”

What is trying to be accomplished?

First they rage at the greed Corporations and yell tear them down!. Then they demand good jobs… where are those to come from except the same Corporations they are yelling to tear down…

Then they want forgiveness of student loans, home mortgages, all debt… who is going to pay for all of that? If you forgive ALL debt, then the debt of the banks to you of your money stored there is gone so suddenly no one has any money to pay for anything. No one can buy things or pay taxes. All commerce comes to a halt.

And now OWS has raised over $300,000. WTF? Use that to pay off some student loans….

It’s a great place to go hang for the day and maybe get on TV. There are a dedicated few that will try and make a job out of this for themselves. In the end, there will be a lot of trash to be picked up.

People are trying to compare it to the Tea Party. I have a hard time with that. The Tea Party raged against the government that set the rules. OWS rages against the companies that work within those rules. The Tea Party asks that they be allowed to keep their money and take care of themselves. OWS says everyone owes them something and needs to pay their debts.

And I don’t understand this new wave of “How could you allow me to screw myself? I’m stupid so you need to conduct business that the most stupid people are protected from themselves!”

If you don’t understand what you are signing.. DON’T SIGN IT!

If you can’t balance a checkbook or make a budget then you should really, really reconsider signing up for a $500,000 mortgage!

Maybe instead of teaching our children basket weaving we should teach them basic math skills like balancing a checkbook, making a budget… Maybe that’s what OWS should spend that $300,000 on…

Just sayin’

Jamie

4. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    The only logic I can see about the media getting all hyped up about the OWS folks is that there really isn't much else to report on right now. Besides this whole movement just goes to show how Obama is right and anyone who disagrees with him is wrong.

I love what one of my clients said about the Occupy Wall Street movement here in Buffalo. He said it just gives a 20 something the bragging rights that he or she once had sex in a tent in front of City Hall. I think that's about the sum of the movement.

5. hathondo

hathondo Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kinda reminds me of my 2nd wifes company was sued (title Company) by a guy that didnt realize that he was borrowing money, (this was a closing) his arument was that he wasnt savy enough!....wtf

6. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    agree as soon as a real news story hits and the cameras disappear for a day or two...........this thing will be forgotten about as quick as the swine flu was a couple of years back

lol

7. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

And the Liberal jumps in....lol

Jamie! You have to be smart enough and have all the time in the world to read all the crap lawyers put in a 20 page legal document in order to buy a home? You have to say "OK" to that crap just join Facebook...lol. Who really reads it?

You need to have regulations. Drug companies have to give you medicine not poison. You shouldn't have to do your own spectroanalysis do determine the chemical content before you take it. You don't give blind people drivers licenses. There is a regulation regarding that...lol.

Financial institutions need to be held to a standard that doesn't allow them to conduct business in a manner that ultimately brings the country to it's knees. And then they, well the companies that insured them, are the ones that get bailed out at the tax payers expense, knowing that they were "too big to fail".

You have rules on the football field so you have a "fair game". That's the proper role of laws and regulations.

Yes, you have to be an idiot to buy a 500,000 house on a 12,000 income. And you have to be a low life, corrupt thief to give him a mortgage for it.

What should be illegal? Being stupid or being a smart thief?

Someone should put up some big screens at these gatherings and let them watch "Inside Job" over and over again till they know why they are there. If you haven't seen it...check it out.

Ok...gotta go hug a tree.....lol

8. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Wouldn’t have it any other way…..

When I said if you don’t know what you are signing don’t sign it, I didn’t mean the whole document… I meant having an understanding of how it works. People were saying that who can figure out how a 1 or 5 year ARM worked and no wonder they were surprised when they had a balloon payment due.

You must have forgotten that Barney Frank called in the banks and told them they HAD to find a way to be able to lend money to people that didn’t currently qualify for mortgages. So the banks did what the government told them to do.

When I bought my house I was told that I could qualify for $150,000 more than I was asking. I said that was nice but I could afford the payments. Now I could have taken the larger loan and a second job and been just fine. There was no way the lender could know if I was going to do that or not. So it was a personal choice on my part to take a loan for less than I qualified for because I can create a budget and figured out what I could afford and how I wanted to pay for it.

To now blame the banks for doing what they were told to do… that’s like blaming car manufactures every accident or dead caused by a driver of one of their cars.

When do I as a person have to step up and be responsible for my actions? We can always find someone else to blame. I guess that’s the way of the future right? I can do whatever I want and if it goes bad I can blame someone else and walk away or get free money from the government to fix the problem.

Oh.. and don’t forget to give that tree some tongue when you give it that hug. :)

Jamie

9. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

LOL... OK but I'll have to look for a naughty pine ;)

I hear you. It's crazy that people go so far over their heads. And I absolutely agree that people need to take responsibility for themselves again.

We actually have a legal system here that makes a bartender and/or server responsible, along with you, if you get drunk and drive home.

Some of the financial mess may be a "trust hangover" from a time when there were solid regulations in place. And banks didn't take on risky mortgages cause they were exposed to the risk and there wasn't a vehicle for them to bundle all those mortgages and sell them off to larger institutions, and so on and so on...

The big problem now, as i see it, is that those Wall Street institutions largely bankroll the Democrats and Republicans. When they get to the White House they are obligated. So how do you get regulations back in place?

It's irresponsible to get into a mortgage you can't handle. But you could say the same about the financial institutions. Just because they are told they can do it doesn't make it right. In my opinion, their actions were far worse.

Ultimately, I don't think any of us are that far off in our ideals. Except maybe for the part where you guys would throw poor old, sick, crippled Grandma out of her house and under the bus....lol ;)

10. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Bruce we do treat our elderly right. Although I have informed my father he will be sent out on an ice floe once the time is right...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice