Oasis or Grand Oasis?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by mamabear197, Nov 14, 2008.

1. mamabear197

mamabear197 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Being in the older generation and it being our first trip to Cancun I would love some information.
    I was very fortunate to win an all inclusive trip to Cancun for 2 .
    The travel time has to be the week of Feb 13-14 which I understand is Springbreak?
    The trip is for 7 nights at the Oasis.
    Is there any difference between the Grand Oasis and the Oasis? I understand I have the option of upgrading when we arrive? Not sure what the cost would be, but not sure if it is worth the upgrade either if there is really not much difference.
    Would love some input from all of you that have been befor and know the in's and out's.
    Thank you.

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Technically spring break starts the last full week of febuary, so you really aren't going to catch many breakers there, however, there will likely be some, mostly from canada! The only difference is the building you would be in.......... which the normal oasis cancun has 4 main buildings spread over the grounds, with the Grand Oasis in the center! All spring breakers are put in the regular oasis generally. So, if you dont want to be awake 24/7 by people partying, I would suggest an upgrade to the grand to be honest!! You also get the option of a few more places to eat, free room service and an in room fridge which you dont get in the normal oasis cancun. Basically you are upgrading for less noise, a few more options to eat, and peace of mind at night rather than dealing with crazy party animals at all hours by your room. You make the choice but the oasis is a nice place!

3. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mommabear,
    Dont worry about spring break. My wife and I go the last week of Feb and it hasnt really started yet. Last year we left Cancun March 7th and the airport was full of spring breakers. No need to worry the younger people we ran into were fun anyway.

4. mamabear197

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you so much for your responses! I never worry about the young folks. Been there and done that, and now have grandchildren that age!
    I was more concerned about the ammenities. I am not sure if we can ever afford to do this again on our own and I would love the option of facing the ocean and being up high! Wondered if it is worth paying extra to try and get it? We are very laid back and not concerned about the restaurants.
    My husbands main concern is the tours and he wants to see so much! If I am reading all the info properly these can start to really add up. So at the moment I know it is the Mayans for sure.
    We are pretty green when it comes to traveling, as Las Vegas a few time's and a cruise has been about it.
    I am greatful for the information I am reading on this site!
    I am pretty sure our Hotel/airport transfer is included but not sure. So may have to come back in and ask more questions!
    Thank again

MB

5. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used to slip a 20 to the person getting our room at the front desk and that always got a room we wanted. But that was downtown not for an oceanview in the HZ.

6. gronsk

gronsk Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oasis

we have been to the oasis twice, and enjoyed both times -- and probably will go back. the grounds have to be one of the best, tho we don't have much to compare with , but they are stunning.... we went to the reg oasis the first time and were helped a lot by the suggestions we read here...

only one of the two elevators worked-- we were on the third floor and the working one only went to our floor.. the other one went to the 4th floor -- all of them had to walk up a flight. if was never fixed all week. we met a great concierge who helped get us set up and helped with the resturants...many choices with IA.... we liked the food , but many reviews panned it.

the grand was definately worth the extra money!! much better room, elevators worked etc. had choice of all restr.

we went back to see the oasis -- one elevator was still broken... 2 years later... want to know more ??

7. gronsk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oasis

we have been to the oasis twice, and enjoyed both times -- and probably will go back. the grounds have to be one of the best, tho we don't have much to compare with , but they are stunning.... we went to the reg oasis the first time and were helped a lot by the suggestions we read here...

only one of the two elevators worked-- we were on the third floor and the working one only went to our floor.. the other one went to the 4th floor -- all of them had to walk up a flight. if was never fixed all week. we met a great concierge who helped get us set up and helped with the resturants...many choices with IA.... we liked the food , but many reviews panned it.

the grand was definately worth the extra money!! much better room, elevators worked etc. had choice of all restr.

we went back to see the oasis -- one elevator was still broken... 2 years later... want to know more ??

8. mamabear197

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for the information. As we won this trip for 7 days all inclusive, flight and $$ spending money. I was told when we arrived we had the option of the upgrade. Not sure how much for the upgrade but being the only money we are out of pocket is litteraly our transportation to Pearson from Windsor, and our hepititus shots (ouch are they pricey) it may be worth the little extra to try and get an ocean view room!
    We are also looking at the tours available and wondering if we should be booking ahead or wait until our arrival?
    Also is one better to exchange money befor they leave, or when they arrive?
    What is used more often, Pesos or American money? Cash, CC or ATM?
    Thank you so much for all the information you have given me!
    MB

9. gronsk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oasis

the rooms right on the ocean i think are not very good - i do not think they have an elevator -- check it out... the best rooms are in the pyramid. with a pool view, ocean past the pool....

i strongly recommend the Chichen Itza tour through Brant and entertainment plus like he says if you were two hours away from the pyramids in egypt, would you go ?? these are not to the degree of the pyramids but definitely awesome..... do not book the guided tour , just the ride . if you want a guided tour there are many people offering a tour as you enter for 60 us dollars... when you say no it goes to fifty, then 45 etc... we did not pay for a guided tour but next time we will -- it was so interesting...

one of the highlights was swimming at the cenote at Ik-Kil - we thought we were in heaven, or paradise - no words can really capture what it was like... so i would book the trip to Chichen Itza with the lunch(average) and swimming at Ik-kil

we also went to xcaret and loved it ... we snorkeled in their cenotes/caves, really cool. they have a great turtle farm and lots of stuff to see, like a zoo or seaworld.... the big show at night was fun, we had dinner there and and enjoyed the look into their culture...

as for money we tipped in american usually just a dollar at a time, sometimes two -- and a few fives - we did 20% to the driver - he was great - talking on the ride and he even walked down the cenote and held our clothes while we swam so they would not get wet... he was there to make us comfortable -- you do not get that on a tour bus

10. klalonde

klalonde Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This will be our first time there as well- Jan.24-31st. I'm a little apprehensive after reading the reviews. My understanding is you don't want to stay in Bldg. #1 which is party central. I believe Bldg #2 at Oasis Cancun is quieter and perhaps in better condition. The Grand Oasis is more expensive and gives you entitlement to ALL restaurants where the Oasis Cancun is limited to 6. However, 6 is enough choice for me. My main concern is cleanliness and a room where everything works.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice