No outside food or drink policy

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by mikeh375, May 7, 2007.

1. mikeh375

mikeh375 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently picked up a copy of the 2007 Cancun, Cozumel, Yucatan Peninsula Fodor's guide. In the section on Cancun it states "Many of the more exclusive hotels are starting to enforce a "no outside food or drink" policy-so be discreet when bringing outside food or drinks into your room, or they may be confiscated.

Have any of the forumites here experienced this being enforced? My wife and I arrive on May 27th for a week at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach, and I sure won't/don't want to pay the outrageous $10 or $11 they charge for a bottle of water.

2. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am sure this is to prevent people getting drinks, water and "botana" inside the room but no one confiscate your bags, neither check them and if you place your own stuff at a table no one will make an issue.

P.D. You are near fron Assis supermarket where ou can buy water, beer and other stuff at DT prices.

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can certainly understand some hotels like the ME, Grand Coral Beach, Ritz Carlton or LeBlanc implementing such a policy. I am sure they don't want Dominos and Chinese delivery in their hotels or guests trudging in with boxes, cases of beer and plastic bags from WalMart. And if you can't afford what a hotel charges for a bottle of water (not sure which ones charge $10 usd!!)then you should probably follow the old rule about "if you have to worry about the price then you can't afford it" and should maybe look for another place where you can order Pizza Hut and walk out to the street and pick it up. I know Oasis permits that.

4. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't see them taking away bottles of water from Guests.
    I have yet to see a hotel make a stink over ordering Dominos, or pizza to the hotel Espeically if they do not provide food at the time of ordering.

5. mikeh375

mikeh375 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's not a matter of whether or not I can afford it, thank you very much. It's a matter of just spending money foolishly, which I refuse to do. I'm sure some people don't mind wasting their hard earned money, but I do.

6. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey any way to save money on a trip is alright in my books! :lol:

7. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Mike - I was feeling similarly indignant when I first read Jim's post, but the real message (which I agree with wholeheartedly) is right after the part that first caught your (I believe) and my eye:

Now I won't be going to the Oasis any time soon, but the principle is there - if ME insists that I buy their water to stay at their hotel - that's not going to work for them or for me so we should probably make it a point to stay on seperate paths.

I wouldn't get too worked up over what is probably a misunderstanding which appears to be turning into a rumor here anyway, since

- Most hotels in Cancun are 50% financed through timeshare sales
    - Telling owners that they can't bring their preferred items with them on the premesis is not a viable option.
    - Informing potential owners of such a rule (or worse yet, attempting to confiscate such property) would have a chilling effect on timeshare sales (and the prices obtained through property transfers)
    - Identifying people who are renters vs owners or potential owners (so that they might be treated differently) is a virtually impossible proposition, so except for the very few places which don't depend on owner-financing,

This is simply BS, and if this were to be something that they'd want to try, I think they'll quickly find out that it's inconsistent with competitive practice and the concept will die a quick natural death - as it should.

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So what hotels are we talking about anyway??

I haven't heard the names of the hotels that are implementing these rules yet and am just guessing but I do not believe that timeshare hotels, or most hotels in general care if you bring in water from Oxxo since they either have kitchens in their rooms or all inclusive programs anyway but there are some other hotels who may wish to impose that rule.

The ME for example has had guests like Cheryl Crowe last week and former President Zedillo during Holy Week. The Sol Melia chain has spend quite a few million dollars to recreate and rebrand their hotel and turn it into a high class place. Their prices also reflect the changes! And other hotels have also iinvested a lot to upgrade and improve their installations and services. They are making demands on taxi drivers to wear decent clothes and only will use those with new taxis in good shape, they are spending millions more in training and hiring and high tech novelties in order to attract a type of tourist that can pay more and expects more. There are ground operators now that pick up people at the airport in Jaguars and BMW's and take them to their hotels. In return, these businesses want to maintain a certain upscale image. Anything wrong with that? Is there anything wrong with the guests paying big bucks to be in an upscale hotel not wanting people carrying Walmart bags full of bologna and beer through the lobby?

There are all kinds of hotels for all kinds of people and all kinds of wallets. Truthfully, I think it is probably a moot point since people paying big bucks to stay in XYZ Hotel probably won't be ordering Dominos.

9. mikeh375

mikeh375 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The paragraph in Fodor's is quoted word for word in my original post on this thread. It made no mention of names.

10. Geo

Geo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

We have stayed at The Coral Beach many times, it is our favorite hotel in Cancun. Although I do not belive that the prices are that much higher than the rest of Cancun.
    Slices - 1 month ago - 2 for 1 - XX or Sol = $6
    FAGCB - Oct. 06 - Bottle of Corona = $3.50
    Also the water is not not $10 a bottle it is a large (32oz) for $1.75.
    I am not saying that it is not expensive just look at the room rates but what they charge for things is not outta line with that type of Hotel. Here in Chicago if you go downtown for a beer be ready to pay over $5 each and I have seen during hot summer days by the beach guy's charging $8 for water.
    We have brought back to our room our share of water, beer and food then have taken there stuff outta the mini fridge and put ours in, never a problem. But then we only walk in with a bag or 2 and not 2 cases of beer from Walmart.

George

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice