Nick's on the spot Palace reports

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by nwimmershoff, Mar 5, 2007.

1. nwimmershoff

nwimmershoff Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    a little off topic

Today we went to the PlayaCar Palace. Wanted to report back for those who may want to rent a car and go down. About one hour from CP and 40 min from MP in the town of Playa del Carmen. This is where you catch the ferry to Cozumel which also has a resort if you want a boat ride in your day. The MP offered a car deal to members, $35 for the day and three days for the price of two. Playa del Carmen is a beautiful city with excellent beaches - waves and color like CP but lots of sand. The PCP hotel is smaller than CP with no beach but stairs that go directly into the ocean. It's quiet and nesseled in the residential community. Finding it is a challenge. Here is a hint. If you are standing on the concrete facing the ferry pier to your right is a bar. Go into that bar and walk through it to your south. You will enter an arcade that is more or less vacant. Turn right and when you come out turn left and follow the stone road up to the guard shack. On your left is the hotel. Want more fun? Instead of going through the bar get off the pier approach onto the sand. Walk along the water, sometimes in the water, past the bar which is now up to your right (because you are heading south on the beach). You will come to a concrete wall that has a ledge about two feet in width. Get up on the ledge, walk on the green slime (its just marine growth) and climb over the concrete protrusion, back to the ledge and then up the stairs to the PlayaCar Palace. Most of you would probably opt out of this but Cathy and I did it because we did not know of the "easy" way. We are 61, mind you, but we like to screw around.
    Now, just for a little more off the topic, tonight we went to the Michael Jackson production done here at the Moon Palace. Let me tell you that this is not to be missed. It is now on Monday nights at 8:15. Come to the MP for dinner and take in the show. Many shows in Mexico can be hoky but this one is a winner and it is free to guests. It lasts about an hour and covers the main creations in MJ's career. MJ's dancing is really excellent and the sound system puts you there. We have two more days before we are back to Colorado which, of course, is now going to warm up and give us a beautiful spring. Hopefully some of this is stirring up the anticipation for your trip. Bye Now. Nick

2. DaveT

DaveT Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I certainly do agree. The Michael Jackson production is unbelieveable. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but this impersonator is damn near a clone. I too saw him at the Moon Palace and was amazed. It was the best show we've seen in all of our years down there.

DaveT

3. nwimmershoff

nwimmershoff Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    kitchen tour MP

Well this may be the last report because we leave tomorrow. But I just had to share some surprising facts. The Moon Palace and Sunrise employ 3500. All of the food for all of the Palace hotels is prepared and processed under the Sunrise. All of the pasta is handmade here. All of the beef is from Mexico; all of the seafood is from Mexico except salmon which is from Chile. All vegtables etc. is also from Mexico. All of the laundry from all of the palace resorts is done under the Sunrise. Very exciting tour. All was very clean and there are many preventatives against any cross contamination. Each meat is processed in a different area; beef, pork and chicken. Each room has its own color coded utensils. Twice a month a doctor comes and inspects the workers and the facility. Workers processing the meats are allowed no short hair, moustaches or beards. When they greet each other they do not shake hands but bump fists or elbows. Of course there is much more - it was very interesting. Nick

4. Sheri

Sheri Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: rocks and stuff

Nick:

Is the tour of the Moon Palace Kitchen something they offer folks to see when they come down? I read another e-mail talking about it and I have never been offered that before. Interesting to see?

Sheri

5. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    nwimmershoff, could you please repost your kitchen tour and other Moon Palace experiences here:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8464

That's the best place for it. In a couple days I may clean up the Cancun Palace thread a little bit to keep it on topic. thanx :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice