Newbies Question 3 - Tipping.

Discussion in 'Desire Resort' started by Fox&Vixen, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Fox&Vixen

Fox&Vixen Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    The only experiences (a while ago) I have had at all inclusive resorts had a strict no tipping policy. Reading through the forums, particularly the TTR one it appears that tipping is a common occurrence. I would like to know people’s thoughts on tipping at the Desire resorts - is it now common for people to tip, is it generally expected and how often and how much? I know it is an individual’s choice, I would just like to get a general idea of what seems to be the norm!

2. Cheers2US

Cheers2US Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +617 / 2
    I believe tipping is welcome, encouraged all all the Cancun resorts, to be honest, including Desire. I have seen some people on this board and on the Desire forums say they tip in large bills ($10-$20-$50) at the start of their visit. But I think I've noticed most people tip $1 to $5 here and there.

We tend to tip $1 to $2 each time we get a drink directly from the bartender. We tip the drink staff $5 every so often. The waiters get $2 to $5 at each meal. Housekeeping and the bellboys get $5 each.

The pool guy who gets your towel/chairs set up, we give him $5 to $10 each time.

This is what we feel comfortable with. You will get good service no matter how much or how little you tip. It is just what you feel you can pay to help each worker.

3. CentralFLCouple

CentralFLCouple Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +462 / 0
    Agree with Cheers2US

4. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    For Stacia & I, we're just of the mind that the folks who work at TTR/DRM work so hard, and really do Not make so much doing it, that they deserve a tip for providing excellent service, so we do.

Usually, for example at TTR, at the first round or one of the early ones, we'll tip the guys at the VIP/Premier Deck Bar a 10-spot each "morning," and tip occasionally a couple extra bucks a few times a day, so as to end up around $20 for the day. At night similar for bartenders at Bash. Tip the maid mid-week of the stay, like that.

Security gets to see boobies so no tip for them.

5. r&a 1964

r&a 1964 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 1
    we used to tip one or two dollars each drink at the pool but found it to be a hassle. Now we tip twenty with our first drinks and ask the server at the pool to check on us once in a while. That has worked really well for us. Usually $10 at the lobby bar at the start of the night. $5 each way for the shuttle driver and $1 a bag for the bell boy. $2 at the buffet and $5 at dinner. I like to have soda in the fridge so I give house keeping $20 first day and let them know to please keep the beer and stock extra soda and they always have. That is what we tipped the last couple of trips.

6. MeanwhileinCanada

MeanwhileinCanada Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Chiming in on the bigger bill early on. Less hassle with small dollars, and it's generally more memorable.

We tip the poll/cabana "boy" (lol!) $10 per day for a guaranteed bed, and the cleaning staff $5-10 per day for refills and extra water in the room. Staff we know get $10-20 per day.

Seems like a lot, but I've been chased out of the resort with a to-go drink on a scuba trip, and one of the bartenders is coming to bartend our vow renewal next week for free, and set us up with a DJ. Worth it :)

7. Fox&Vixen

Fox&Vixen Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Thanks for the input. With COVID making its ugly presence felt I have no problem helping out where I can. Good service deserves recognition and tipping those that do this deserve it in my opinion. Glad to get a ball park of what I can expect to be giving. Appreciate it!

8. Lindilou

Lindilou Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +928 / 1
    Agree with you on this. We're not laying on a bed of money but do feel we can give to people who work their a** off to give us a good vaca time. The ones that go the extra mile surely get the extra recognition. Sometimes wish we had more to share but we think, give what we can.

9. NWvanillatanda

NWvanillatanda Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    We visited in October and tried to tip the same as the 4.5 star vanilla resort we stayed at prior. $2-5/ day for cleaning staff, and $1 per drink or 2 drink order, and $2-10 at meals plus some other tips thrown around here and there (like the lady making omelets). All together 20-30 a day. It was our first trip to Desire, and to be honest, I found it challenging to tip consistently because I was naked! So that led me to tip the bartenders $5/10 here and there instead of per order.

10. Lindilou

Lindilou Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +928 / 1
    Oh yeah! That's a challenge isn't it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice