Newbie Questions...

Discussion in 'Golden Parnassus Forum' started by Skinnermap, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Skinnermap

Skinnermap Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. Can someone tell me about the Club Rooms? It says Cancun Queen Cruise; is that a lunch cruise or a dinner cruise? Also it says in-room dinner; can you pick a day for that?
    2. Is there much difference between a Club room and a Golden Room? Worth the price difference?
    3. Are there shows every night? Is there a dress code for any of the shows or just the one restaurant?
    4. Can you book activities there at the hotel or do you need to go to say Aqua world to do that?
    5. Tulum or Chichen Itza?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. ScorpioMCN

ScorpioMCN Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Skinner
    #1-2 I've been to Mexico many times - never saw the reason to get better than a basic room unless you really, really want ocean-view...how much are you in your room anyway? Some people feel differently and like to be pampered. The "perks" offered on the higher cost rooms often aren't worth the extra money - just my opinion though - and you can usually upgrade at the hotel once you get there and decide you do want a better room.

See the room types here:
    CancĂșn All Inclusive Suites | Golden Parnassus Deluxe Suite
    CheapTickets.com usually has the best rates and you can enter the promo codes below at the end of your booking and save even more money:
    Travel Coupons | Hotel Discount & Airline Promo Codes | CheapTickets Promotion
    You can email the hotel and ask about the cruise and in-room meal offered with the Club and Golden Rooms - I don't have first-hand knowledge of either...
    frontdesk@goldencancun.com

#3 - yes there are shows every night in the theater (go down stairs next to The Old Barn steakhouse)...Elvis impersonator one night, then Michael Jackson, dancers, etc. No dress code for the shows but use common sense - you wouldn't go to a movie theater in your swimsuit and tank top...shows are usually at 9pm - so go in your dinner clothes...jeans are ok.
    Only two restaurants require long pants (no jeans) and a collared shirt for men: Shangri-La at Golden and the French restaurant at Great. You can find this on the websites.
    #4 - you're better off booking your activities when you get there vs booking them with your trip - you'll get a better price in Mexico than online - just don't talk to anyone at the airport - once you land, grab your luggage and GET OUTSIDE - do not stop and talk to anyone!! Just smile and keep walking..they will lie to you...they are timeshare zombies - unless you really want to buy a timeshare - then by all means waste your time. Most hotels contract with AquaWorld to handle their towels and that's where you can book activities (by the pool) - you can also book in the lobby with the various companies...Olympus, Gray Line, Lomas, a few others - you'll find these people at desks in/near the lobby...you'll usually find better rates with them vs. AquaWorld. In any event, you don't need to go or call anywhere to book activities - they have people at your hotel you can talk to if you want to do excursions.
    #5 - I'm assuming you're asking which is better??? I don't have an opinion - never been to either (I personally would rather party at the hotel and enjoy the sun & beach than sit in a bus all day and go look at pyramids for an hour or two)...You can find all kinds of opinions/info on here and tripadvisor.com ...use the search function or google.

3. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0

bahahaha! It's like you took the words right out of my mouth! Scorpio..... what's your email? If you like to read I soooo totally have to send you my Cancun travel brochure. lol. We seem to think on the same level.

4. HammieJ

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I agree with him. No need to waste money on a room you won't be in often. Sometimes I upgrade to oceanview but NEVER anything higher than that. I like to "have fun" on the balcony since most of the party is on the pool side at night. lol.

There are shows most nights. I think Saturdays they have the poolside barbecue if they still do that.

Only "Shangri-La" or if you take the shuttle to the Great Parnassus "Maison de Michele" have dress codes. No beach wear. Closed toed shoes for men. Women can wear a dress or dress pants/shirt. Men can wear slacks but no board shorts and should have a collared polo/tee.

I only book TWO activities with Aqua world by the pool.... and that is Parasailing and Jet skiing(Wave runners). Don't buy the jungle tour. It sucks. You drive your own boat through trees Aka the jungle for 65 bucks. At the end they give you a bottle of water. WASTE! Never again!
    Isla Mujeres is a GREAT island but you should visit it on your own. Don't go through a tour. It's cheaper on your own. Get on the bus and ask the driver to stop at one of the ports. Take the UltraMar ferry over to Isla Mujeres ($17 round trip unless you go from the far port of Puerto Juarez, then it's $12) Rent a golf cart for $50 (seats 2-4 peeps depending on which one you get) and the cart must be returned by 4-4:30 depending on where you rent it from. You should rent from El Sol, Prisma's, or Gomers. I recommend AGAINST renting from Ciro's. Make sure you aren't late in returning the cart. Thats where they get you. The island is absolutely beautiful and I'd much rather go there than Tulum, Chichen Itza, etc.

hope this helps! :)

5. Skinnermap

Skinnermap Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the replies. We are both in our early 50's and are celebrating our 21 anniversary. We usually cruise but since we always enjoy our beach days decided to try an AI this year. Wanted the ocean view for just that; to sit on the balcony for some private R&R and listen to the waves at night.
    We have never been to the ruins so we thought while we would be close for a week stop by. I know Chichen Itza is about a 2.5 hrs ride but not sure how far Tulum is. In december we went zipling and parasailing in Belize and Honduras so we are looking for some quiet beach time here.

6. TNCJ1

TNCJ1 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The club rooms are the first ones that get the fridge stocked with beer, sodas and water.
    The golden rooms are larger than the clubs that's the only difference.
    The cruise is a lunch cruise and they say it takes about 4 hours. We have declined it every time because that meant 4 hours away from the pool and tequila volley ball. Can't miss that. And the in room dinner is any night you want they need 24hr notice and only do like 4-5 a day so you should schedule that when you get there.

7. HammieJ

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres is very very tranquil and beautiful! I'd recommend that based on your above statement. There is also a zipline at Garrafon but it has a very hefty entrance fee. Directly next door there is Garrafon national park. It shares the same reef. It's only a couple pesos to get in. You can rent snorkels for a couple bucks.... fish food as well. The fish literally swim right up to you. There is also a beach with incredible drinks at the property.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice