NEW TERMIAL 3 UPDATE - HOT OFF THE PRESS

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Jun 15, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I arrived back in Cancun yesterday and here are some observations:

1. Every airline serving USA to Cancun routes EXCEPT JETBLUE, is now using Terminal 3.

2. For US airlines that fly FROM Cancun to other Mexican cities, like American, for example who flies from here to Mexico City, those flights are still using Terminal 2. BUT FOR US TO AND FROM CANCUN, IT IS NOW TERMINAL 3 FOR THESE FLIGHTS.

3. The signs when you get off the plane direct you to Baggage Claim and not to Immigration or Customs. There is this incredibly long walkway if you are at the extreme gate. I bet I walked at least 300 yards. But the walkway is wide enough that you can pass slow walkers. If you have health issues I strongly suggest arranging for a wheel chair.

3. When you get to the end of this walkway you turn to the left and you are in the Immigration area. There are about a million counters and it was a free for all of sorts. You just looked for a short line and then get in it. The clearing process is unchanged. Note: It seems better to stay to your left as far as choosing which line to get in as Mexican citizens are directed toward the right on signs that are too small to read until you are already committed.

4. From there you go into Baggage Claim. There are monitors to direct to you 1 of 5 carousels. (I can never remember how to spell that word.) This process is indentical to that in Terminal 2, except that I did not see anyone trying to match up your baggage claim checks with your luggage. Good thing as Mr. Pro Traveler here tossed his first boarding pass, with claim checks attached, in the trash during my first flight segment. I was freaking out but it was a non-issue.

5. If you are facing Baggage Claim as you leave Immigration, after you get your luggage, you more or less go to your left and make a UTurn to the Customs area. There are a few lines where then scan everything but you, including purses, but they were not scanning yesterday for some reason. You still have to push the Green Light Red Light thing where you pray for green. I got green which was great since I was way over my allowance of $300 US of things subject to duties. It was scary as I was #7 in this line when I got in it. #7 got the red light. So did 4 and then 3. I am starting to wonder "what the h---?" Then #2, a single traveler, had a cart with at least 6 suitcases. She did not have the option of red or green light. She was sent for a thorough search and was not happy about it so argued for minutes while our line grew longer and longer. Finally got trough with no problems.

6. Getting out of the airport to your transportation seems to be the same zoo as it is in Terminal 2. There are 3 windows straight ahead as you leave Customs that say Official Aiport Transportation, or similar wording. These I believe are Gray Line and a sure thing if I am right. But if you turn to the right here, which is the building exit, there are close to 100 things that look like 3 foot high tree stumps where you are almost wrestled to the ground. It has to be OPC time share people who may also sell transportation to the hotels. I did see some guys with Azur badges and that is a company who also does transportation. No matter what, it is $9 US per person so don't pay a dime more. And someone either at these tree trunks, or when you exit the building, will try to grab your luggage and take you to the vehicle. These are honest hard working guys who are looking for tips so this is not a bad thing.

I HOPE ANA SEES THIS AS SHE IS THE EXPERT ON THE AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION MATTERS. HOPEFULLY SHE CAN CLARIFY MY UNCERTAINTY ON THIS. I have a car here and don't deal with hiring a ride to a hotel.

7. If someone is meeting you, or if you are waiting for someone who is coming on a later flight you have a few options.

a. Outside the building, you can make a left and go through these little automatic gate things and there are outside covered tables.

b. After going through the gates, you can go into a small bar/restaurant.

c. You can keep walking further and go into the departure area where there is a Starbucks with seats, Haagan Daaz with no seats, and a Mexican Cantina with lots of seats.

d. If someone is picking you up in a private vehicle you have to go to the departure area as this is the only place they can meet you at the curb, but they cannot wait at the curb to hang out, or the only parking lot where they can park.

Hope this is of some help.

2. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WWow!! Greatly detailed info TJ. I'll save this for my next visit. Do u know if Air Canada now goes to T3?

3. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great report TJ! It's handy info for my return to Cancun this weekend.

Re: the immigration line for Mexican citizens - I've heard of a couple of people with FM3s say that immigration agents will let you get in that line with an FM3. Does anyone know if that's still true?

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Gringa,

Almost welcome back. I know you have been gone for a while but they now have $1 beers at the Club Sandwich Cafe.

I thought about your question when I landed here last week. I think I will try that next time I arrive. Not sure if "Mexican Citizens" means having a Mexican passport but it is worth a stand in line maybe.

I chose not to try it as there was no line to speak of and went right to an open agent.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That line is supposed to be for people who have residency in Mexico, either through an FM2 or 3 or through Citizenship.

I must confess that I have not stood in an Immigration line here in years anyway. I always get yanked out of line and go straight to the front...

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I always go through the Mexican line, never had a problem. Of course I always have daughter and wife travelling with me who are entering on Mexican passports while I have only FM 3 but it's never been an issue. This last time my Mum was with us and entered with a British passport throuhg the Mexican queue.. still no problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice