New Restaurants?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Walshlaw, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Walshlaw

Walshlaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any new restaurants that one might recommend? It has been about a year since the last time we were in Cancun.

2. Tinder

Tinder Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not new but we recommend Rio Steak House. Excellent service, superb menu, great food. Go hungry.

3. rockrgrrrl

rockrgrrrl I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's one of those Brazilian steakhouses, right? How much do they cost? :)

4. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rio Churrascaria is a Brazilian steakhouse restaurant. The price includes an all you can eat salad bar with dozens of choices and between 10 - 20 types of meat selections. I loved this place, especially the steak cuts, however they also serve exotic meats as well. I had ostrich and alligator when I was there about a year ago, and no they did not taste anything like chicken, oh and they have that too. The price from what I remember was in the neighborhood of $42 US, but that may or may not vary depending on the time of year and inflation, so perhaps someone can give a price update.

Other new restaurants in Cancun's Hotel Zone include:

Captain Charlie's - where El Shrimp Bucket used to be across from the Casa Maya.
    El Shrimp Bucket opened in a new location
    Bling Resto Bar
    Azure-at the Bel Air Collection is their new concept that opened a year ago and is probably the best gourmet food in that Km 20 area.
    Harry's Prime Steakhouse-this is supposed to be open but I have not heard anything about it as of yet. It is a new high end steak restaurant concept and it is owned and operated by the same company that runs El Shrimp Bucket, Carlos 'n Charlie's and SeƱor Frog's.
    Grill 14 by John Gray-gourmet fare, across Blvd Kukulcan from Le Meridien Hotel.

I can go on and on but I think I'll let someone else continue, and add the new places in Centro (Downtown). One place that comes to mind is Iki Resto Bar, by the same owners of Laguna Grill in the Hotel Zone. It is supposed to be an excellent establishment, and that's not a surprise.

Have fun planning your vacation culinary schedule, you will find more restaurant information on the:
    CANCUN TOP 100

212eric

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another new one downtown is Bandoneon, from the owners of Cambalache and Puerto Madero. Steakhouse with a great wine list, it's located behind-ish, beside-ish Plaza las Americas. Very pretty decor and I really enjoyed my steak.

6. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For great steak, avoid Ruth Chris's -- overpriced and over-rated. We went to the Argentian Steak House in Forum by the Sea (right above Carlo's and Charlie's). Wonderful food, service and atmosphere. Prices were reasonable, too. Get the ceasar salad -- they make it from scratch right at your table.

Harry's is new and also wonderful, pricey but worth it. In old location of Faro's and Mango Tango (near km 15).

Downtown, would recommend El Pescador (The Fisherman). Again, not new, but wonderful food at very reasonable prices.

7. senorfeliz

senorfeliz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Puerto Madero was outstanding Sunday night. Perhaps the best steak I've ever had in my life, and cooked over wood like God intended. Sides were really, really good, too. Try the potato puff things. About $100 for two. No alcohol. Will eat there again.

Harry's was good. Had steak (again) and it was excellent. Salad was so-so. Pecan pie was quite good. They give you some sort of blueberry flavored cotton candy after dessert, which was fun. About $100 for two--no alcohol. Will probably eat there again.

Laguna Grill was forgettable. I'll not go back. I don't mind spending money for good meals. I do mind spending big on below average meals. That's what this was. Won't go back.

Had two good entrees at Chocolate City one night, which was a big surprise. Sweet and sour shrimp and chicken fettucinni. The Chocolate Bomb was excellent also. Went back one night for fondue, which was definitely subpar, however. Not in the other two's league, but would be a good choice for kids.

Grill 14 looked deserted, so we skipped it.

Puerto Madero was clearly the class of the bunch. You'll enjoy it, but remember--it's a steak house, and that's what you should order.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice