New Indian Restaurant

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Jul 14, 2008.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there - just out of interest has anyone tried the new Indian place "A taste of India" located next to the Parador Hotel on Tulum? I'm trying to find out if it is a different owner to the not-so-great (imo) Taj Mahal - hope so! :D

2. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope it's a different owner too, wasn't impressed with Taj Mahal. Anyone been?

3. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just found out the new Indian place on the Tulum is owned by Indians (a good start) and they have another one in Chicago as well…so it is definitely different owners! I'm going to try it on Saturday and see how it is…my first curry sober…

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    AFAIK Taj Mahal's owner is an Indian also...at least that's what one of the waiters there told us.

5. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes he is Indian - I just didn't like the flavor at all...hopefully these guys will do better...

6. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So what was the verdict Matkirk, any good??

7. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Jen,

It was decent, nothing amazing though imo. They didn't have popadoms when we went. :cry: and they used thigh meat instead of breast for the chicken dishes.

The place is really nice and pretty big inside, we were the only customers there all night...so the service was great!

Definitley had a curryesque flavour but sadly it wasn't "incredible", worth checking out though and it was very reasonably priced. Steve and my mate chris both liked theirs a lot.

Be interesting to see what you think about it (ask for some onion bhaji's - fantastic!)

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why don't Mexicans like ethnic food? It seems like (with the glaring exception of Chinese food and maybe Japanse sushi) Mexicans don't like other cuisines besides Mexican food. Am I right?

I've noticed that my Mexican husband doesn't really like foods that don't have chili in them. So he doesn't like subtle cuisines, like Italian food for example.

It seems like many of the restaurants I like here are ethnic, and they are always empty, which means that they eventually go out of business.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I thought it was good, have been back again with Jannet and Dani since I went with Matt. I wasnt best impressed with them not using breast of chicken the first time but no such problem the second time round.

The menu is pretty extensive and I thought it tasted good too. Not really like it is in the UK but I didnt expect it to. It's not cheap more mid range, around 500 pesos for a meal for two including starter and side dish. They give you complimentary soup which is a nice touch. It's open 11am-11pm and there is also a buffet for 110 pesos at the weekend.

I had a chat with the owner and he was having problems importing certain spices which he hopes he will get sorted soon. He has a lot of staff and not many customers I suggested he have some staff giving away freebies outside Sams or Costco and actually get people to try it. I dont know why Mexicans dont generally like ethnic foods.. but I think in a lot of cases it's because they've never tried it and have little inclination to.

I hope he does manage to make a go of things as we will probably go there fairly regularly, particularly as it's open afternoons.

10. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys, I will have to try it out.
    My hubby loves curry, he thought he'd died and gone to heaven when we went to England.
    Exactly where is it located, I can't picture the hotel it's supposed to be next to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice