"New Immigration Regulations"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 4, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Rawkus, We're not going to know anything for certain until you've got the card in hand: that's the only way to stop chasing ghosts, in this case. But I'm hopeful you've got it slightly wrong and that what he's actually done is apply for an FM2 for you.

We've talked at length on this thread about what the advantages of the FM2 are now, and will additionally be at the time the new law comes into effect.

Whatever he submitted for you yesterday could have been submitted four weeks ago (although I'm not complaining about lawyers, some do, on occasion).

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Im hoping that too, but the paper we submitted has "prorroga FM3" written on it, so not too much to hope for, probably.

Apparently my time on the FM3 will be sufficient for the "new" visa that comes later, according to the main office in DF.

Im assuming its mostly for those whom are seeking to become Mexican citizens? Im not, so not that big of deal for me, personally. I just want the "no need to step inside INM for 4 years", haha.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sad, if true, because you were eligible to apply for an FM2, at this point, based on the things you've said about your status, in country.
    Looks like you may be stepping into it again a lot sooner than you'd like.

As has been discussed on this thread, those in FM3 status at the time of the transition to the new laws will be at a procedural disadvantage, unless some changes are made to it before it's implemented. For example, the new law says that those in this status will have 180 days in which to "leave the country."
    Better not to operate on assumptions, in these cases.

Check out the first post, and some subsequent comments, where the subject of Permanent Resident under the new law is mentioned. This is NOT citizenship, and has a number of practical advantages, for those who qualify.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus,

Why don't you just go for the FM2 now and be done with it. My FM3 (oops, I typed MF3 at first) expires 31 Oct and I made my application on Monday, the earliet day possible.

The online application part was simple as was spending an hour on the printercopier making copies of more than enough papers. Dropped in one day last week at closing time just to ask a couple of questions. The gal with the long, VERY curly hair was most helpful.

When I went in Monday I was in and out in under 30 minutes. The same lady took my one gallon ziplock bag, the contents of which were all organized, stapled &/or paper clipped. She said it looked good and I was out the door with my receipt thing showing my case number and password and all of the extra stuff I had that they did not need. I am keeping all of my extra stuff should they tell me later something is amiss.

I will start checking the website for updates next wee, having been told it takes 4-5 days to get it logged into the system.

I know you had a rough time of this last year and remember that I turned mine in a day later than you but got mine back a loooong time before yours was ready. We are not in the exact set of circumstances but something went dreadfully wrong for you last year. Better to get it done now than later IMHO.

If there are things that seem overwheliming or confusing I am sure there are those of us who would be glad to help in some way.

Cheers

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: I know I have the right to an FM2. Now the FM3 renewal has been submitted, so not much to do as of now.

Also, I know FM2 is not the same as citizenship, and I thought I made it clear when I wrote "whom are seeking to become Mexican citizens".

FM2 is the last step before naturalization, as far as Ive been told.

Not planning to become a Mexican citizen, as I can only hold 2 at a time(thanks Sweden, haha).

All I ever wanted was to not have to set foot in that crappy office, but sh*t happens - next time Mauricio will take care of it all and I can enjoy a PiƱa Colada on the beach, rather than getting shoved around like cattle. :)

TJ: I know the process from the last couple of times, but the issue this time was that INM took a Caribbean approach: "No stress, man..."

They promised 2 weeks for my work allowance, yet it took +7 weeks, and thus their "no stress, man" became stress de luxe, as by today, 1pm, I would have been in trouble.

My company apparently pays for it all, so it doesnt really matter right now, as Im not intending to become naturalized. :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V,

Did you submit yet? You can within 30 days and you are in that window. Have been for a week or so actually.

I hope you are able to interact with the gal who is so helpful, but knowing you, all of your things will be in proper order. And unlike me, you probably will NOT have your file in a one gallon zip lock bag.

Good luck.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I spoke earlier of my renewal date. The first time I mentioned it, I gave the renewal date of my previous migratory document; but, when I renewed it, they changed the renewal date, for some reason, and mine now renews on the 26th of November. I plan to drop my paperwork in on the 28th or so of this month.

I expect to have, as you say, everything in order, so there should be no delays but- I promise I won't even attempt to break your new record, T.J.!

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nothing new, yet!

I was by the INM, yesterday, to drop off the application for renewal of my FM2, and saw nothing to make me think they're applying any of the new rules/procedures, yet.

I presented two of the form applications that are produced online, on the inami.gob.mx website, my original FM2, and originals and copies of the following: passport, letter requesting the renewal, proof of my address, proof of my employment, and the last three months bank statements showing activity on the account into which my pay is deposited. The person working the reception said that everything was in order, and that was that.

Aside from the fact that there was only one person working the reception of new cases, and there were twelve people ahead of me in the line when I got there, I have nothing remarkable to report about what I saw- but, the lines were long, in part because INM was closed part of last week, owing to Rina.

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey V,

"proof of my address" - CFE paid bill, or what? Original or copy? I took both. They kept the copy and gave me back the original in my ziplock baggie.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It was a CFE bill in my name, they kept the copy, gave me back the original. I have used Cablemas bills before for this as well.

My guy was rollin' today, and didn't even bother to look at originals of anything, just saw that I had them, and took the copies! He was finished with me in less than two minutes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice