"New Immigration Regulations"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 4, 2011.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have ONE similar experience, but in Australia:

In 2003 when I worked and lived in Cairns, my first "temporary working visa" was running out.

Immigration did issued something called a "bridging visa", which gave me a further 3 weeks, making it possible to time my flight out of Australia.

So, instead of having to go through the hassle of re-booking my flight(to a cost of $250) or getting a new 6 months visa($189), they issued the bridging visa for 3 weeks for a measly $46, making sure I had enough time to leave without any issues.

This entire process, from start to finish, took 45 minutes. Maybe one day in Mexico... ;)

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Rawkus, the word "immediately", which I used several times in my last post means, "right away", "no waiting".

Please look at my post again: there is something critical you're missing.

Secondly, why would you not want to move on in the process, just because you'd spent 1,400 pesos that now may appear wasted, and waste further time just to force INM in act on something you no longer appear to need?

This is why I spoke earlier of "jousting at windmills".

As for getting an expired FM3, with an annotation that you have permission to work, where is the utility in that? Why would an employer prefer to rely on that, rather than accept a clear statement- contained in Mexican Law- that you have a right to work based on your marriage to a Mexican person? (Your company's lawyer can verify that that's the case.)

I can understand your frustration with all this; and, yes, it would have been better had the annotation been issued a few weeks ago, but we're passed that, now, aren't we?

Your lawyer may have a different take on this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: I didnt miss the word, but I also dont feel like throwing 1400 in the bin, plus the fee of the FM2 and lawyer fees...

I also know that I have the right to work simply by being married to a Mexican, but: With FM3´s like mine("Dependiente Economico"), one HAS to get the approval from INM to work.

FM2 appears to be different, and that is why Im aching to get it, but, the company started the process with my FM3, and regardless how much you, I and them hate it, this is the situation Im stuck in, right now.

Had I been able to predict the future, I would have played the lotto. ;)

It still comes down to this: INM said "2 weeks", but has now delayed it all for 7 weeks. Had they not done that, I could have switched to an FM2 in peace and tranquility and already have started working.

However, thats not the case right now, because of INM´s delay.

Now, I know INM has been very smooth for you, but you also have to realize that thats not the case for everyone. My last prorroga took a famous 9 months(!!) tom complete, even though I was told "6 weeks"...

Had they done their job, I wouldnt be in this mess right now. Its that simple.

And since THEY put me in this mess, THEY have to get me out of it. Im never doing the Mexican Govts job for them ever again, haha.

If it were up to me, I would have waited to get hired until my FM2 upgrade was in place, but I have a feeling its not very welcomed that I tell a company how to do their legal stuff.

INM assured 2 weeks - INM are stalling = their fault, which is now hitting me in the face...again.

If they sort it all out, Ill be jumping of joy. If they mess things up for me, Im calling the head office in DF and once again, let the hounds hunt them down. Have all the names, signatures, dates and INM numbers, so not much they can argue against.

Its simple: Do what you are supposed to do, and you wont get complaints. If DONT do your job, you WILL get complaints. Its like A, B, C... At least to me. :)

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I´m pretty sure that´s true of all FM3s, and the language from the immigration law I quoted comes from the section regarding FM2s; that´s why having the FM2 is critical to making your life less complicated.

5. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Are you completely sure that I wouldnt have to apply for a stupid "tramite" every time I apply for a job, if I have an FM2?

Hoping to get that confirmed today, and Im really pushing both the lawyer and the company to understand the pros of the FM2 compared to the FM3.

EDIT: Never mind. Must have confused the existing FM2 with the new "permanent residency" visa that is on its way. The FM2 still has various categories, and since Im still under "dependiente economico", Id still have to get the damn tramite every time I apply for a job.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Why do you think so, Rawkus, since the provision I quoted is straight from the current immigration law relating to FM2s. Here it is again.
    Not only that, but remember Gringation's post...
    The way I read it, what she was told by INM appears to exactly match what the current law says about it.

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Then both my lawyer and the person in INM he meets with are confused.

I was given several categories under the existing FM2. Going there now, and will push with the quotes and see what happens.

Leave it to the "pros" and they'll mess things up... Ugh. :D

8. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Interesting stuff happened today.

The lawyer put yet another damn prorroga on my FM3, BUT: The category is "inmigrante" and lets me change jobs, without applying for a tramite each time.

So basically like the FM2(on that point), but cheaper and more freedom of movement.

Ill get the "new" visa once both lawyers and INM staff have worked out how the process works. The permanent residency ones I mean.

Safe to say that Ill use Mauricio next time - so far, the smoothest, fastest and most professional way yet.

Do you happen to know if companies allow one to use their own lawyer?

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's not clear what you're saying, could you clarify?

Did you get an immigration document (hard card, with your photo on it) from the INM? If so, does it say "Inmigrante" on the front of it?

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: My bad.

Its like my current FM3, but apparently "inmigrante", and it allows me to switch jobs without this idiotic procedure(2-8 weeks, 1400 pesos...).

He explained it "like an FM2, but for the price of the regular FM3 and with the same rules/regulations as the FM3"...

I had NO CLUE that this(according to him...) could be done with FM3´s as well.

So, I will get my FM3 hard card, but with "inmigrante" on it, and the chance to switch jobs without any hassle.

I have never heard of this, so Im definitively NOT jumping yet - lets see once I get it back, haha.

The part with the "new visa": I meant the ones we have been discussing, that will go in effect later this year/early next year. So, looks like yet another year on the good ol FM3, and THEN the "permanent residency"(no renewals for 4 years).

The only issue I ever had with the FM3 was the issue of changing jobs - now, if thats doable, like he said, then Im more than satisfied.

EDIT: Nope, no card just yet, as we turned in the renewal papers yesterday. 4-6 weeks he told me, but dont know if I should believe that, considering it has NEVER been the case for me earlier. Im happy if I get it before New Years, hehe. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice