"New Immigration Regulations"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 4, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sorry your processing has gotten hung up, so. These things seem to happen mainly when one side or the other does not have full information, and can't seem to connect on what needs to be done to resolve it.

There's plenty that you left out of your post, so I'll comment, making some assumptions along the way, but it appears to me you caught the meaning of the posts here well enough.

Under the new law, as I read it, you would be right in thinking you could apply for Permanent Resident, next time around, under either of the following conditions, which you alluded to in your post:

You have a child born on the territory of Mexico; or,

You've been here, in the status of Inmigrante (FM2), for four years.

You didn't say in your post what your current immigration status is: it's very important, in anticipation of the new rules, to get to Inmigrante, if possible, before the transition, for the reasons I've mentioned, earlier.
    I think you´re off the hook on that one, unless you go for citizenship!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As ever, thank you V. Okay so what's the difference between the Permenant Residence and Citizenship, your like a permenant foreigner as opposed to becomming a 'Mexican'? So what is involved in applying, as you know I am also married to a Mexican national and have a Mexican child and have been here for 4 years. I would love nothing better than never having to go to that Visa office again in my life and hopefully never having to hand over well earned money every year or am I missing the mark there?

I believe, my current status is FM3, classed as being 'supported' by my wife. It's been that way since we moved here.

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Im in the same category as Sam, except no kid.

FM3 for 4 and a half years, "Dependiente economico" and married to a Mexican national.

I get a bit worried when you only mention "FM2" and "child born in Mexican territory".

4. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus, you can borrow one of ours if it helps ;-)

5. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam: Haha, might have to do that :D

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I think the solution for both of you is the same, apply for an FM2 now (while the old law is still in effect).

Sam, let's meet for a beer and have a look at everything you've filed, so far. I would bet it's possible, even at this point, to switch the application to one for FM2, and get the show back on the road! The INM might even be relieved to be able to start over again, with a clean slate, on a new application. (You'd continue to be in good standing with INM while everything's pending.) When there's no snags, everything goes through in four to six weeks.

Sam's situation under the new law is a little different in that he'll be able to apply for Permanent Resident, having a Mexican child. I still think you're best shot under the new law, Rawkus, will be "Temporary Resident", with no renewals for four years, after which you can apply for Permanent Resident, too.

(Keep in mind everything I'm saying about the new law is based entirely on the text of the new law: no one has any experience with the new law yet, in practice.)

I'd start at least two months before the old document is set to expire, getting all the paperwork together; then, submit it at the earliest date possible, which is 30 days prior to expiration.

I'll be doing the same, starting now, as mine renews November 8.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  7. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Time to convince Jorge that we need to have a green card baby hahahaha

Nope, not worth it :p

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Just looking over the INM website a little, in consideration of some of those who have recently posted here, I see this important language worth noting:
    This sounds tantamount to a blanket authorization to work, and appears in the materials associated with the FM2, yet another reason to go for FM2 if you have to renew an FM3, or make an original application for migratory documentation, while the old law is still in effect. (I believe there is a notification requirement if you start work, or change work; but I also believe this is a no cost move, and requires nothing more than submitting a letter informing INM of the change.)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Im about to embark on yet another INM adventure, starting Tuesday, hehe.

My FM3 is running out, and I thought Id skip up to a FM2, but checking the(much improved!!) INM website, I find no such thing as FM2. You think this means that the changes are in effect?

Seems one can log the start of the application online, from step one?

Check link: Solicitud de Estancia - Instituto Nacional de Migración

Or am I way off track... What do you think?

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Not yet, because as recently as the 14th of September, the INM was still inviting input on the regulations to implement the new immigration law.

See Boletín 326/11 - Instituto Nacional de Migración

Although I entitled this thread, "Regulations", it would have been more accurate to have referred to the text as "laws". The difference is that regulations are often propounded in situations in which the law provides for it, such as in this case: they elaborate, in greater detail, the application of the law.

The regulations must be in place before they start following the new law; at this rate, still some months away....

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice