"New Immigration Regulations"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wait, I can't be a PR right now??? I would think living here for 6 years as a student then an employee would qualify me to move past the Temporary Resident Status.

I was hoping to apply for citizenship in the next year or two.

Guess we'll have to see.

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @V(aka Mr INM ;)):

Im still on my d*mn FM3. Next(4th) prorroga is coming up in October. Are you saying that I can get an FM2 that does NOT have to be renewed for up to 4 years?

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Have a look at the first post, where it states the ways in which you can get Permanent Resident status, to see if you'd qualify. As I mentioned earlier, for many, it's going to be a matter of how they treat "time served" in the old system. I would think you'd have a shot at it, don't you?

Don't want to say too much about an individual case, but fourth prorroga means just three years in FM3 status, doesn't it? If I were you, I'd push for FM2 at renewal, because FM2 holders will be in a superior position when the new rules come into effect. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure marriage to a Mexican allows you to obtain FM2 status, under the old rules, after two years of marriage. (Those who've been there, done that, will know the answer.) If you stay in FM3, Transitorios Sexto says you'll be considered to be a Visitor without permission to work when the new rules go into effect, and that could prove inconvenient, perhaps.

4. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Rawkus and @V: They're now giving FM2s to newlyweds as well. (I got one, a German friend got one and a Canadian friend who just moved here got one.)

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    T.J., you, too, should probably try to get an FM2, next time around, just to put yourself in a better position when the changes come down.

6. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: I arrived in April, 2007. So Im assuming its: 1: Original(first FM3), 2: 1st prorroga(extension/renewal), 3: 2nd prorroga, 4: 3rd prorroga and in October, it will be my 4th prorroga, depending if its still named the same when/if I switch to a FM2 or if it starts all over again from "first FM2" etc.

Im hoping the "4 year - no renewing" part will be a real thing! A HUGE step forward for Mexico as a country.

Gringation: Oh, lucky you!! I was told "4 years on FM3, 3 years on FM2 and THEN you can apply to be naturalized"... Way more strict than many other countries, including Canada, New Zealand, Australia etc. Ridiculous...

7. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus, I believe Cancun/Quintana Roo is one of those cities/states that allow the change from FM-3 to FM-2, after just one year. This topic came up before on here, about 2 years ago.

I would be interested to know what all these changes are going to mean for vehicle nationalization. As of Jan 1, 2012, I will have 2 more years left before mine is 10 years old and can be fitted with Mexican plates.

Perhaps right now a permanent residency card is good forever, but look for that to change in the future. The US equivalent, the Green Card, is good for 10 years and I have to admit, this makes more sense. Imagine the physical changes that a young person will go through if he/she lives in Mexico for the rest of his life. The picture part of the document will become useless, long before that.

Finally, I wonder what these new 4-year visas will cost? My FM-2 costs 2804 pesos a year. Times 4 and that's 11,216 pesos....a LOT of money that could go toward system maintenance. Under the new system, the gov't stands to lose 8,412 pesos for every FM-2 holder. I can see a 4-year visa costing something like 5000 pesos....but I hope not.

8. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Windknot: D*mn it. Ive been told "4 years, then you can get the FM2" by both INM staff in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, haha.

Im also curious about the cost of this "new" visa - seems unlikely that a Mexican government agency would lose out on quite a bit of cash that easily... I guess we will have to wait and see?

You whom are om FM2´s and are working: If you change employer, do you still have to do the damn "cambio/extension de actividad", or can one switch jobs without the painful process?

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I believe it's a notification requirement, and does not result in a notation on your migratory document. Under the current rules, you've got 30 days; under the new rules, you'll have 90 in which to make the report. These are not onerous requirements, and have no fees associated with them.

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: This goes for FM2?

With the FM3 its a hassle, so I cant wait to get the FM2 for that reason.

The FM2 is a bit more restricted when it comes to staying out of the country, right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice