"New Immigration Regulations"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 4, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This is a significant passage of time, just the sort of thing I´d be concerned about if it involved a case I was handling, as the longer a case is in the office the more opportunities for things to go aray.

INM is given 30 days to turn a case around; that is, to make a decision on it. They sometimes drag this out for 40 days or so, but that´s the worst I´ve seen in more than three years of being involved with these processes.

Again, Rawkus, I´m sorry it hasn´t been that way for you.

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Cream of the crop? They "warned" me and said that I would receive a letter of "voluntary deportation", giving me 16 days to leave the country, haha.

I wish I could be a jackass of that caliber and just ignore my responsibilities - what a great and relaxed way to handle ones job :)

If they would just have told me that the papers were lost, when it happened, none of this crap would have to have happened. Stressful for both me and them, Im sure.

I went, on average, 3 times/week since November, as the same answer was given to me, on every visit: "Puedes regresar mañana? Gracias..."

I know of a person that it happened to, and whom has waited longer than me, without any solution. Im not going to mention names though...

If you visit PROFECO, you will see that my case is faaaaar from the worst. They literally have a PILE of complaints and reports against INM.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    About a week ago comments began to appear on the internet to the effect that the new INM rules would be released within a week or so, and so it was....

During the period for public comment hundreds of suggestions for changes to the proposed rules were submitted: it will be interesting to see if any of them were incorporated into the draft rules, which were published over a year ago, and which prompted this thread.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  5. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone feel like translating?

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I suppose Google Translate could help some people. My quick glance at the text made me think they've retained some of the features that made the proposed rules attractive, and modified the more onerous provisions previously contained in the "Transitorios" section.

My own more definitive view will have to wait for me to have the hour or so I'd like to give to looking it over.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hour or so?

V, you sure must be a speed reader. That has to be well over 100 pages. Think I will print it just to find out.

Great Indian food last night with great old and new friends.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's long, alright, but most of it is devoted to internal rules and policies of the INM and of little interest to the expat community.

A quick look makes me think most of what I said about the new rules in the first few posts of this thread are still the case in the final version, but I want to be sure before I say anything further, just in case they decided to modify something of interest.

9. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm curious to know if PROFECO sees any "patterns" at work. For example, are there significantly fewer problems involving the applications of one lawyer? Likewise, are there significantly more problems involving someone else? Any insights on this, Rawkus?

If "patterns" do exist, it could point to propino's at work in Immigration, which is not surprising but has huge implications. Here in Canada, our Immigration Dept. has had to knuckle under the pressure from the U.S. after rumours that the 9-11 terrorists got in the States by crossing from Canada.

(Now we're tougher on immigration since then. Too bad in a way; at only 33 million, population increases are needed here.)

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    davisod: They didnt want to give too many details(understandably), but from what the PROFECO guy told me, it seems they have issues with a "mixed batch": regardless if its Royal resorts trying to hire a foreigner, or a foreigner does is at by him/herself.

Many applications are completely halted in the cases where the applicant refuses to pay the bribes the INM staff asks for on a daily basis.

The huge overhaul a few years back, helped for a few months after, but now it seems that its business as usual: Give me cash or risk to suffer. Ive never given a centavo and I will never, as it would be fairly hypocritical to bash corruption, only to contribute to it.

The asking for bribes is not as "open" and obvious before, but it certainly still exists.

I havent been subjected to it since my last(before the current one) renewal. Maybe thats why they are ****** ** now? Haha ;)

Ps. Funny: Have friends in both DF, Veracruz and Puebla whom all do their stuff by themselves and are met with smiles and offers of photocopying any missing papers etc. They all have their new FM2/3s within 8-12 days, without hassle.

Difference is that the pressure on the INM workers in those places (amongst others) is waaaaay heavier when it comes to doing it right.

Maybe it will be the same here, one day? :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice