"New Immigration Regulations"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 4, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    G., did your company input the data on the INM website to start the process, or did you? I can't imagine you entering either of them wrong, but a company sure could, if they just weren't careful enough.

Now that the process starts with opening the case online, and it gives the applicant the opportunity to check the details for accuracy before you hit "save", it virtually eliminates this problem, for those who do it themselves. Once entered, this data goes on all the documents which follow, so it has to be done very carefully.

By the way, you're looking real good! Congratulations on the weight loss victory. [See her blog for further details!]

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks V!

Good point, it could very well have been the lawyers :)

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It may have been mentioned before, but one change INM has made in the flow of work through the office is that they no longer require you have an appointment for the "documentation" stage of the process: you simply present yourself, along with the required photos, proof of payment, a copy of your CURP, and you're in business. They pull your file, then call your name to come to the counter, answer a few questions, put your thumbprints on their forms, sign your new immigation document, and that's it. You come back the next day, again without an appointment, to pick it up.

Again, I'd recommend going in late in the morning "noonnish" if you don't want to have to wait long for either of these processes.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V,
    What are the steps and timing to get the payment forms In your hand so that you can pay? I remember last year asking for them and it was a bit of a hassle. Seemingly I was asking too early in the process. I think I went to the extreme right end on the right side and prevailed.
    Thanks,

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The most orderly time to ask for them would be after you get the online notice to "presentarse": you go first to the lady who works behind the laptop on the countertop and present the paper they gave you when you filed your request for the renewal. She will note on that paper, "documentar", if all is well. Then, go to the information desk to get the form for payment.

(Alternatively, you could ask for the form at the time you file your request for renewal, but in the scheme of things, you're not supposed to pay until the renewal request has been approved, so this confuses them a little if you ask for the payment form this early in the process.)

The bank is just around the corner, and you can go immediately to make the payment, then come back and be prepared to present it, and two copies of it, along with all the other requirements- photos, CURP, original passport, and you're in business.

One of the best ways to avoid the misplacing of your case file within the INM offices, such as has happened to Rawkus on two occasions, is to move your case along. The longer the file sits in the office without action, the greater the chance it will be misfiled, and become hard to locate.

Because my wife was out of the country, and nearly two months passed from the time of the "presentarse" notice appeared on line, I was worried this could happen to her: fortunately, it did not.

I'm convinced that personally handling your own case makes it far less likely anything will go wrong: the person most concerned with this will always give greater attention to the details, and be more proactive about moving the case along. This is not normally a process that requires a lawyer, the INM offices are full of very ordinary people handling their own cases: it is the norm, it seems.

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Its hard for me to "move things along" when the girl that handles my case lost the entire thing after just 3 weeks ;)

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    As I recall the story was a little convoluted, perhaps with a company attorney involved initially; then, somewhat later, Mauricio, etc. I´m sorry this happened to you: it´s unlikely to happen again, lightening may strike twice, but three times, not likely.

My core point, and it´s not directed at you, Rawkus, is it´s often better to do these things yourself: at least you´re more often going to be careful with how it´s handled than a third party might be. Lawyers are often careless, trusting their staff to take care of things for them, instead of doing it themselves.

My name is incorrectly registered at Catastral for this very reason. Although I asked my lawyer to handle correcting the name, they sent a staff member who managed to get it wrong a second time.

Just do these things yourself and you´ll know it´s being done right, more often than not; and, in good lawyer fashion, keep a copy of everything you file so the file can easily be recreated, if lost! The reason is simple, they will not accept an incomplete filing so, if the file is lost between that stage and the approval stage, it´s relatively easy to recreate what was filed and the case move forward. If the file is lost after approval, after the online notice to ¨presentarse,¨ it should be even easier: just show them what was filed, it will be easy for them to see that the documentation was sufficient for the favorable decision on the case and, again, the case can move forward. Not having copies of everything filed would make this simple solution impossible to implement.

8. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Haha, no worries. I just laugh at it nowadays :)

The papers were submitted as they should be - the acceptance and received "case number" confirms that.

What, according to INM happened, is that the girl that took my papers in early October, "simply lost them"(INMs own words) in late October/first days of November.

Now, what she COULD have done, is simply accept her mistake and inform me to "please resubmit it all, as I lost your papers. Im so sorry."

Instead she does the classic "sweep it under the carpet and hope it goes away", waiting till August/Sept 2012.

Had she told me from the start, I would simply have re-submitted the same papers and taa-daa! Had my damn FM3.

What bugs me is the "I lost them, but I didnt do anything wrong..."-type of thinking. This is not exclusive to Mexico, at all. Happens in MANY places in the world, and certainly in so called first world countries.

Just bite the bullet and confess - Its not like I would go down and scream at them.

The time wasting is what really pissed me off.

Now Mauricio is doing a MONSTER JOB of correcting their mistake. By the time I get this old FM3, its time to apply for the FM2, haha :D

Im over INM though. I gladly pay Mauricio to not have to set foot amongst those incompetent sauerkrauts.

Edit: I made print-screens of my online thing, just in case. When I started to talk to PROFECO, INM deleted my online file ;)

Ps. What ever happened to the "new" permanent citizenship that was supposed to be implemented? The 4 year visa. Last I heard was that they stopped it, due to the elections, just to see what Peña-Nieto wanted to do with it all...

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus, the person who handled your application told me that all of your documents reeked of tequila. Could tha perhaps be part of the problem my friend? Lol

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ: Must have been beer - dont drink tequila, haha :D

Ps. The way shes handled my case, Im quite sure she reeked of tequila... ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice