"New Immigration Regulations"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 4, 2011.

1. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We use Mauricio. He is excellent. For us he charges $5000 MXP, but that's for a family of five. Just finished up renewal for our FM2, total time was less than three weeks with zero pain. Total time spent at the immigration office was less than an hour (45 minutes of that simply waiting).

Hoping next year the FM2 can be extended out longer, love to not have to renew annually.

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow that's great! Well worth the money for a family of five, and a super quick turn around as well. :xyxthumbs:

So is there still talk etc. of these changes coming into effect? Will it mean that we'll have like a green card type thing and not have to renew each year? I would think they would want to keep it the same as it is now to generate money each year?

There was talk of getting rid of the fideicomiso as well a while back, anyone have news on that?

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    My recent experiences with INM continue to be positive. My wife's FM3 renewal was approved 19 days after submission of the documents (notice given via the INM website); then, another permiso de salida y regreso was approved the same day it was submitted.

Picking it up today required five minutes in the offices of INM. (I went at 12N, as is my custom.)

4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My news: INM lost all my papers :)

Now they refuse to take responsibility, even though they have had my papers since the 6th of October last year...

I guess a ghost broke into their office and stole/misplaced my file?

Now its at a deadlock: I blame them, they blame "whomever except us".

Already got the details needed for PROFECO, so heading over there on Friday to file my first ever complaint with PROFECO. Should be interesting, to say the least.

My embassy made a formal complaint to INM here in Cancun, which magically disappeared, just like my file, so now that same report was made to their main office in DF.

I have no plans to budge on this matter, at all. THEY received all my papers, THEY put them somewhere in THEIR office, THEY lost them, thus, its THEIR fault.

Now I hope someone at PROFECO really dislikes INM and takes this case personally. :D

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Rawkus, late last year you wrote that Maurico Mendoza had begun working on your case: was he not able to help, after all?

6. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Correct, thats how I found out that they had lost all my stuff :) Also, it happened fairly early during the process, and instead of saying anything at all, they, like often in Mexico, swept it under the carpet and "hoped for the best".

PROFECO will be a good push, no doubt. I also got a name for those interested. Apparently he can "move things" at INM if/when needed.

PM me for the name, as I dont want to publish it here. He works there, so its not a "pirate thing" at all.

My embassy has stepped in with full force, and launching an inquiry at least snapped INM out of their deep sleep.

I dont want a fight - I just want to be treated correctly. I pay them for this so called service, so its up to them to deliver it. If not, then give me 8 months extra and free of charge. ;)

7. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus and V - the Yin and Yang of the Mexican Immigration Experience...

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's much more fun to post about outrageous experiences at INM but I have had occasion to visit them again, recently, on behalf of my wife, and I have no such amusing tale to tell.

I wanted to follow up on my wife's application for renewal of her FM3, in which we'd gotten the message on line that she was to present herself there. She was traveling out of the country, with permission of INM, while her case was pending for renewal and would not return for another month: I was concerned that the passage of time might cause problems.

I went there at around 11:30 AM on a Monday. There was no line and no waiting. I explained that I was there to represent my wife in getting her case "documented" (this is what they call it, at that stage). I was referred to the appointment desk where I explained the situation, which was that my wife would again be leaving Mexico in less than a week, once she got back. In very polite tones they told me there was absolutely no problem, that she could appear one day, and receive her FM3 the next.

The impression I've received in my last three visits to INM, Cancun, is that the flow of paper through the office has never been better. The lobby area has not been shoulder to shoulder like it was two years ago, and the staff seems less harried now. Things are looking up.

Mat seems to think there are some Cosmic infuences at work to cause Rawkus' paperwork to get lost on at least two occasions he's mentioned on this forum, and he may be right! I can't think of any other possibility.

9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cosmic or just brain-dead people whom have no clue about the job the are supposed to do :D

Judging by the pile(yes pile) that PROFECO has against INM, Id have to say that Im not the only "lucky one", haha.

In the end karma will kick in and those who deserve crap, will get it.

Im calm, surprisingly calm, as there is absolutely nothing I can do at the moment and thus Ive learned to sit back and just let the rusty wheels of Mexican bureaucracy turn... In the end, all will be fine, a I'm not illegal nor responsible in any way.

V, any news on the "4 year permanent residency" visa? Still haven't heard much at all. One thing worried me: During and after the dirty elections, it was said that they didn't want to implement the new visa, "in case the new President had other ideas"...

10. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: I don't have to do much paperwork with INM lately because most everything is done by the lawyers at the company I work for. However, a few weeks ago I had to go in to sign my new FM2 and give my thumbprints, and you're right! The place was not nearly as crowded as it used to be... and I was there at 9 am!

It only took about 3 weeks to renew my FM2, with no hassle that I'm aware of. I always dread going because I hate crowds, but on my last trip there were just 5 or 6 people sitting down waiting for their name to be called, and 2 people in one of the lines. The lawyer and I were in and out in 5 minutes.

(Last summer the thumbprinting process was equally quick, although there was more of a crowd at INM... and they got my CURP # wrong... the year before that, my birthday was wrong)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice