"New Immigration Regulations"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks TJ but I was referring to the "new" process that was supposed to let you go from a retirement FM3 to a resident card status with renewals every 4 years.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The new immigration rules were supposed to take effect before the end of last year, but didn't.

There is now speculation that they will not be implemented until a new administration has had a chance to reconsider them, after the national elections later this year.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Further delay

This notice was published on the website of COFEMER: this could represent an additional reason for further delay in the implementation of the new rules. If an agency can't publish its rules, it is probably unable to impose any changes.

The same notice appears on the INM website.

In the meantime, we'll continue under the current rules.

Clicking "accept" on the message, allows you access to the website, for those who may need it.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There's a lot of reading to be done if someone is trying to find out how the new rules will affect them, but one question that will be on some people's minds is, what happens if I file, or apply to renew, before the rules go into effect, but haven't yet gotten my documents back?

The quoted paragraph seems to say the old rules would still apply to that case: any case submitted now, for example, would be governed by the old rules.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Had a chance to test that on Monday, when my wife's renewal of her FM3 came due.

Following my own advice, I went to the offices of INM at 12 noon: one person was ahead of me in the line to submit the documents required for renewal.

Everything was in order, and I was out of there in ten minutes. My wife hates dealing with things like this so I've told her I'll handle it for her, and she won't have to come to the INM offices except to sign the migratory document when it's ready. [You'll notice that the application gives you the option of designating a third party to deal with INM on your behalf: this option is open to everyone.] She won't have to do any waiting, I'll call her when they're ready to have her sign.

As for me, I'm hoping that come October, when I have to renew my FM2 I'll be able to persuade INM to give me an Inmigrado status (true permanent residency). With my having just two years in FM2 status at that point, it will be discretionary with INM, so there's no guaranteeing the outcome; but, Inmigrado is a status with a number of advantages to it, like being free to pursue any lawful employment, so I'd be happy if they decided to go along with the request.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I forgot to mention that, because my wife's renewal will be in process at the time we leave for vacation we also submitted a request for Permiso de Salida y Regresa at the same time. They said it would be ready on Thursday, at noon. Today, I went back to get it.

I arrived at 12:15, there was no line. Thirteen minutes later I left, document in hand.

Because we had indicated in the application that I would be representing her, the signature line for receipt of the completed document had been prepared for my signature. She did not have to appear at INM at all, for this process.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good work V,

You should start a service and probably you would get lots of clients. Not only to save time and aggravation but because of your superior knowledge of not only the process, but the best INM status for the various needs of your potential clients.

Or maybe I should, if I wasn't so darn lazy.

9. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was thinking the same TJ - I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd gladly pay you a couple to thousand pesos to sort out their visas!

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There you go, T.J., Mat's got a new vocation for the semi retired for you.

It seems most of the troubled cases mentioned on this forum involve employers and their lawyers doing a poor job of handling the logistics of the process.

The majority of applicants are do it yourselfers: a visit to the INM offices will bear this out. The applicants are from many, many different countries and educational backgrounds, yet they manage to get through it successfully.

For those, like my wife, who simply can't stand to be involved, having a little help is necessary, and I'm glad to do it.

As for getting involved in troubled cases, the posters have Mauricio Mendoza for that! Last time I checked, he just charged 3,000 pesos, regardless of complexity. But, maybe T.J. would cut a better deal!

So far, in the case of my wife and I, and a friend or two that I've tried to assist, getting all the paperwork just right before setting one foot in the place has been the key to success.

At my last two visits, I had the distinct impression that things were more organized and that the work was moving through the office more efficiently. From the date on the Permiso de Salida e Entrada I saw that it had been prepared the very next day after I dropped it in.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice