New girl in town :)

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by keera_r, Nov 26, 2013.

1. keera_r

keera_r Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello All,

My name is Keera and I have been living here in Cancun for almost 2 months! I have loved every minute of it except, of course, finding a job. I have my papers in the works and all I need is a job offer letter to complete it. My problem is the offers that I have found are mainly call centers that work strictly on commissions. Has anyone worked in these positions before and are they worth the stress behind that kind of job?

I am in the process of learning Spanish and while learning faster than I thought I would, I understand it is a set back to not already know the language. However I usually jump into things with both feet so I suppose this isn't much different. ;)

Also, for anyone living here, I would sincerely appreciate any ideas on other companies I might look into. I have worked in hospitality and tourism most of my working life but am more than willing to learn something new! I hope that perhaps this might give me a little push in the right direction so thank you very much for taking the time to read.

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello and welcome!!!

Here is my job expierience in Cancun. Mind you Immigration was ALOT easier for newbies then.
    After 7 months I started working for a Suncare Company. And while it was Commission only, I worked a max of 5 hours a day by a pool of multiple resorts. It gave me enough to survive on, and I made some of the greatest contacts at each of the resorts... INVALUABLE!!!!
    Because of that job, I was asked by the Director of Sports and Entertainment to work at his 5 Dimond Adult only hotel. This was Salary plus tips. GREATEST JOB I EVER HAD!!! Except the long hours, but that is different resort to resort. Now I am working in Medical Tourism at one of the best Hospitals in Cancun. I make a great salary PLUS commissions. I work normal hours and have a great savings because of the job.
    It's all about networking. Getting out there, meeting people and showing them your an asset to their business. And to say Time Share or call centers is all you have is a flat lie. Most of my friends here are in Social Media. There jobs take them to great events and looks like a ton of fun. Medial Tourism is big and getting bigger.
    Sometimes you have to take the small jobs, and prove your worth. It has worked for me and I can not complain. and my Spanish is all but non existant. I have yet to really need it in any of my jobs.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can try all the Travel Companies in downtown.

Lomas
    Hotel Beds
    TUI
    Despegar
    etc.

Also try the big med places

Sometimes Dentists, plastic surgeons etc. need "client advisors" who can help.
    Do a google search of medical tourism in Cancun and see where it takes you.

Try Timeshare for a while to get started working (short hours) and then spend the rest of the day looking.

There's stuff out there, it just takes a while to find.

Good luck and stay positive!

4. keera_r

keera_r Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fantastic :)

Thanks so much for the replies! I sincerely appreciate all the information.

5. Justmarvellousphoto

Justmarvellousphoto Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi keeps did you stay in cancun/manage to find work I just got here and I'm in the exact same situation! Any help would be great

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have known ToriB since almost the day she got here. She really loved that job but the hours were inhuman to the point that there should be a law against it. She really had no life to speak of. It was even a split shift so she was making two round trips a day from Centro to work and back. that's 4 -long bus rides.

I have a really good friend, from India, and he works in a call center downtown selling vacation pkgs, for like $1,000. He works on commission only, but they can get spiffs and bonuses based on luck and productivity, individually and as a team of everyone. He does quite well, of course it is seasonal so there are ups and downs.

I hope you are living downtown as the HZ is lots more expensive to live, eat and drink and you have to come for any serious grocery shopping and real life.

I have two good friends are in Medical Tourism. I am introducing Tori to them on Friday night.

If you want to meet some new ppl, there is a group (a Free one) called Internations (dot org) and there is a meetup Friday at 8:30 pm at Muleiro's Jazz Club at Hong Kong Plaza, upstairs from ScotiaBank, sort of across the street from Walmart. Admission is a toy or gift for Casa Hogar, a local orphanage to which I personally donate time, love and money, not necessarily in that order. LOL

Reasonable drink prices and good food.

Just my two cents worth.

7. Greek Entrepeneur

Greek Entrepeneur Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I might have something for you if you interested in online work like posting social media updates to facebook,twitter,linkedin,pinterest ect for our clients we are looking for native English speaking writers with common sense and research capabilities for any specific niche from our clients to increase their social media presence online my email is pentium30@yahoo.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice