New Chinese Restaurant

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jul 6, 2012.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    T.J. introduced me to this place: it's in the new Chedraui, and he can give directions to it better than I can.

It seems to be a new business, with the operators scarcely able to speak Spanish. They are from Guangdong Province, so the food they serve has a Cantonese bent to it.

We were a party of nine, yesterday, and ordered seven dishes as I recall, plus water and soft drinks. The entres were all good, some just better than others. The plates were cleaned before we left, and the bill was just 450 pesos.

Unfortunately, it was my Introduction to Chinese Language and Culture class that I took there: our studies are of Mandarin, and the restaurant operators being from Guangdong, and speaking mainly Cantonese, were not able to respond much in Mandarin (the young woman working the service line explained that Mandarin was a required course for them in school, but she hadn't learned much). Still, it was an experience the students enjoyed, it being their first venture into speaking Chinese with Chinese people.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From Kabah, take La Luna approximately to the entrance to Santa Fe. At the Pemex, turn right onto Av Cancun. Go about 1 km and you will see the tallest building in front of you with a sign on top reading SANTA FE GYM.

Turn left there (also a smaller directional sign saying Chedraui). Go 3-4 blocks and the road will more or less dead end at the parking lot for Chedruai. This is one of those 'multi plazas" and the Chinese place is on the left as you enter the building.

The combos are $58 and are a ton of food. You could easily make two meals out of one order. Drinks are $12. You order from the mall part of the place and then they will put your food on the table for you.

My favorite is the #4, Spicy Chicken Combo that comes with a huge egg roll too. The spicy comes from jalapeƱo chiles but I am not sure anywhere here serves with the real chinese peppers.

It was nice of V to take his tudents from his Chinese class and some co-workers as his guests, along with me. The kids ordered in Chinese and had been instructed on the proper way to hold the bowls, eat the rice, etc. Not only a practical language lesson but a cultural one as well.

Thanks V.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    New, non-credit course offering

Thanks for the kind words, T.J. (He didn't mention that all the students wanted to ride with him!)

As many of you know, from reading this forum and perhaps Novedades, Dragon Mart, Cancun, is scheduled to open next year. It will bring 5,000 Chinese and their families, along with scores of Chinese businessmen looking to create businesses, hire, and invest, in Mexico.

If you know anyone who'd like to prepare themselves to take advantage of the opportunities presented in this development please let them know about the following course offering at the Universidad del Caribe:

Introduction to the Chinese Language and Culture​

Of moderate intensity, this twelve week course is designed for those with no prior knowledge of the Chinese Language; that is, for true beginners.

The course includes the study of Mandarin, the culture and traditions of China, a look at modern Chinese society, economic and social development, and Chinese business etiquette. As such, it is a useful beginning for those who can imagine a future which includes contact with people from China such as Chinese businessmen, or Chinese tourists.

Meeting on Mondays and Thursdays, from 2:30-3:50 PM, in room 14a, Universidad del Caribe, this introductory course is open to all, including those outside the university of 16 or more years of age.

For success in this course, it will be necessary to devote a minimum of five hours per week to individual study, outside the classroom, using materials provided by the instructor; so, careful thought should be given this requirement prior to registering for the course.

The cost of the course is as follows: 600 pesos for any student; 1080 pesos for professors and staff (of the Universidad del Caribe); 1440 pesos for all others. (Those who have successfully completed the summer course offered at the university will receive a 30% discount).

Registration will begin on 13 August, in the SAC, Universidad del Caribe; classes will begin 27 August, and the last class will be 15 November.

The practice of conducting the course in English will be continued in this course, as it was in the summer course, just completed; however, an intermediate level of English is sufficient.

Joe Holland, Professor of English, Universidad del Caribe, who lived in China for three years, will be your guide for this very enjoyable approach to learning the Chinese Language, and more about China!

4. xpat2

xpat2 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Which Chedraui? There are so many on the Riviera Maya. Can you give directions, please? As a lover of Chinese food, I am looking forward to the opening of Dragon Mart with great expectations as I understand there will be several restaurants there. I find the local "Chinese" food bears little or no resemblance to actual Chinese food from China - I have been there several times. Most of the local stuff is junk fast food which would be thrown back at the chef if they tried to dish that out in Hong Kong or Shanghai! Genuine Chinese food is truly delicious.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ gave very precise directions three posts above.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Don't know how old or new it is, but I tried another Chinese Restaurant at T.J.'s suggestion: it's called the "Dragon Restaurant" and it's in the large Chedraui at the intersection of Kabah and Andres Quintana Roo, opposite Soriana's.

It wasn't bad, with the over all experience about the same as the first restaurant mentioned on this thread: more than I could eat plus a coke for 50 pesos. Decor is more authentically Chinese than the other one, with numerous paper lanterns, for example, but no one offered any chopsticks!

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm, I am drawing a blank on that one V.

There is a nice little place called Bejing on La Luna, just past Nichupte if you are coming from the direction of Kabah. It sits back off the road in a little plaza that is precisely between 7 Eleven and Pizza Slut, I mean Hut.

Close to one of Tori's former residences. She holds several records for moving. I am blesses that she calls me to help her most of the time. LOL

8. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I need to try this one out. Please let them stay open awhile!

9. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have not tried anything that comes close to the local Chinese I had in Kent in England here. I would like to try that one in Chedraui but your directions confused me a bit. If i am coming up the road that starts at Yek gym (is that Av.Cancun) and i get to the crossroads (i think on La Luna) where Pemex is opposite me on right and there is a place where they play american football in front on the left, where do i go? I think the entrance to Santa FE is if i turn left? Do I just go straight past Pemex, heading up to where la hija to guatemoc is and turn left just after that?

10. PatoPan

PatoPan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam, you probably could get there by the "La Luna" entrance, but I would think it would be easier to turn left at the hija de cuautemoc, as once you've taken that turning its straight on all the way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice