New Chinese Restaurant - Taipei

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Jul 14, 2008.

1. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hong Kong is a mystery to me , it has always been lousy,tastes like oil that has been used for 5 years and never changed just added to so as not to lose that distinct lousy flavor.
    Mr. Laus has been good and Kimberly I can't imagine eating more than what they serve you in the dinning room we share one dish for 3 of us and still have leftover. I will have to order take out and compare.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If Taipei or Hong Kong were located in Boulder, CO they would be out of business by now. Cancun diners seem to have a strong endurance for bad restaurants...and the good restaurants are often empty...go figure.

Susan - When people make no effort to control their kids it drives me nuts. Part of educating your kids is to make them aware of their impact on other people. So it's simply irresponsible to let your kids run in a public place without regard for the impact your kids have on those other people. It's not nice for the other people and it's not right for the kids either.

As a parent I understand that sometimes you go out and your kid is happy and you are just so relieved to have your kid entertained that you want to let them run, but that's what the play areas at McDonalds and Los Bisquets and El Porton are for. Let the kids run in there!

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tai Pei is fine for lunch, but they have raised their prices twice in the last month, or make that since they opened.

The lunch buffet is still a bargain. The selections are hot and with lots of flavor. I would go there before ever going to Hong Kong again. Service is fine, hey, it's a buffet and the staff is friendly.

The biggest drawback is parking, of which there is none. The best place to park is at Plaza Hollywood, downstairs if the street level is full, which it usually is.

Susan, if you had trouble with rowdy kids I wonder if Steve and Jannet were there causing all the ruckus. And I am talking about the big kids, not sweet little Dani.

RG, you crack me up. It's a wonder you aren't skin and bones, the way you hate nearly every restaurant in the western hemishere. You should hang out with Bundy and I. We can show you how to eat and find cool places. Je Je.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    How much is the buffet now? Last time we went it was 55 pesos but I couldn't see them holding that price for long.

Yeah the screaming kids issue... s'pose it depends why they're screaming and how old they are. Certainly, 5-10 yr olds running amok while their parents ignore them would annoy me too.

I like to think taking our 3 yr old to a restaurant will teach her about manners, etiquette and social skills. It doesnt always work out silently though :) Then again neither do the people who constantly talk into their walkie talkies or the Americans that speak twenty decibels louder than everyone else in the place.

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :flagusa: WHAT DO YOU MEAN AMERICANS TALK LOUD? :finger:

It was 65 pesos last time I went there, I'd bet they end up around 80ish at least if they continue to have the shrimp and other high dollar stuff. I haven't had any bad food there at all, and its sooooo nice to have an American style China buffet here in Cancun. ( I only wish they had the all-you-can-eat crab legs) Hong Kong is crap and I honestly don't understand how they manage to fill the place every weekend, their location that used to be in Plaza Caracol was OK for a lunch plate, but the one downtown has never impressed the handfull of times I've been forced to eat there. There are a few other "Chinese" places I've eaten at and none of them have been more to my liking than the new Tia Pei.

6. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been twice now. Last time it was $65 pesos. Staff very friendly and the food was ok. Haven't been back to Hong Kong since it opened but will be back. I guess after 20 years, I have gotten used to Hong Kong food too.

If I had to choose between Hong Kong and Taipei, I would choose Mr. Lau.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hong Kong is abysmal, I will never eat there again, I always get sick. We liked TaiPei, but didn't love it. Haven't tried Mr. Lau's but it is now on "the list".

I was spoiled living on the edge of Chinatown in Toronto, real, authentic Chinese food at fabulous prices. Mmm, I miss a place called Spadina Garden, best Chinese ever! We ordered from them enough that I could just call and tell them my name and they said "It's on the way", they knew exactly what I wanted and where I lived.

I would kill for cheap Thai or Vietnamese food, sigh.....

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ - Didn't I post that I like Mr. Lau's? I think you are just picking on me. And if that's fair then I will start picking on you too so prepare your misogynist self.

There are some restaurants in Cancun that I like, my problem here is that most of the restaurants I try are bad. I'd like to have a better success rate, I hate wasting money on bad food.

The restaurants I like, that I can think of off the top of my head are: Iki, Los de Pescado, La Troje (TJ gets credit for that), Mr. Lau's, Cheester, Sushi Itto, Irori, Oasis and others I will think of later.

9. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Phew!!! You need to try Laguna Grill Kim that way you can add to your list :D

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cunspin, Will do, it's just far away and so I never get out there...am always too hungry for the treck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice