New Chinese Restaurant - Taipei

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Anyone else been there yet, what did you think?

We went last week and found the food very good. Eat as much as you want buffet for $55 pesos. Not a place for a romantic evening out or fancy food on a square plate but for good quality Chinese food at a great price it's certainly value for money. The guy that owns it is from NY and runs a string of restaurants there. Certainly better than Hong Kong imho.

Located opposite the Chevrolet and Audi dealers on Av.Coba behind La Europa / Fitness Damas etc.

2. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Taepei Resturant

We went there last Friday on Steve's recommendation. The lunch buffet was only 55 pesos. The food was fantastic. The hot and sour soup made us sweat just as it should. It was one of the best I've ever had. We had the sweet and sour chicken, pork, several beef dishes, cashew chicken with a wonderful peanut sauce, white and fried rice and on and on. With a coke, and a can of ice tea the bill for the two of us was 140 pesos. Good find Steve! :cool:

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We ate lunch at Taipei today. The food was good. Everything was fresh and tasty. There was nothing in the buffet that was vegetarian and there weren't many veggies in any of the dishes. But the 5 different chicken dishes I tried were all good.

My opinion is that for the price and location this place is great. It's way, way, WAY better than Hong Kong.

But it's nowhere near as good as Mr. Lau's, but then Mr. Lau's is more money and is a little more out of the way (it's on Nichupte across from the Parque Kabah).

4. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We tried it yesterday. Excellent food and great price - worked out the same as two McTrios, but way better. The staff were very attentive and the foos was constantly being replenished. Could have used a little background music or something, to warm the atmosphere? I drove there and the parking was tight, that said - we'll be going back once a week or so.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny, we went the other day and made the same comment about the lack of music. But yes, the food was good and the price was right. We'll go back.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The first time I went to Taipei was around 1 pm, food was fresh and good. The second time we went around 8 pm. The food was old and horrible. Husbanito had a spring-roll that had been deep-fried several times over, it was dripping with oil. The food was really bad and we both felt ill the next day. We won't be going back.

A day or two after our fiasco with Taipei we ordered take out from Mr. Lau's. Their take out menu is cheaper than their in-house menu (well they give you more food, so that makes it cheaper). They brought us a HUGE amount of food. The quality was, as always, top notch. The food was delivered sooner than they told us it would be. We paid about $200 MXP got stuffed and had enough left for both of us to have lunch the next day. So in the end Mr. Lau's was cheaper than Taipei, and the quality is so far above Taipei that it's not worth discussing.

We just ate at Mr. Lau's tonight. As always, it's was empty. And as always the food and the service were excellent. But we paid more and got less food than we get from their take out.

I urge everyone to give Mr. Lau's a try. Forget Taipei. Here's Mr. Lau's (bad) web site:
    http://www.mrlaurestaurantes.com/

7. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    taipei

I went to Taipei once....and I don't think I need to go back. It wasn't that fantastic to me. I DID like their spring rolls and the sweet and sour sauce. Other than that, I wasn't impressed. It has the typical cheesy Chinese restaurant decor (do you have to have the Chinese lanterns, etc. before you are allowed to open??) and no music. There was a screaming child in the restaurant on the day I dined there. That certainly didn't add to the ambiance. The service was good and so was the price...but I'd rather have good food to go along with a nice price and good service.

I'll stick with Hong Kong or Mr. Lau. I have to admit that I usually order Hong Kong simply because they are so close to my house. The food is always piping hot when it arrives and it usually arrives very fast!

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Re: taipei

That site is so bad!

Still only been the once so nothing much to add to the topic, we found it fine the time we went.

As for screaming kids Susan, it happens although not usually to the parents delight. It's a low end restaurant, kids eat too you know.

9. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    taipei

Yes, Steve, I know that little kids need to eat too. My problem with the majority of the screaming children (or misbehaving children, in general) is that their parents do nothing to STOP the kids from screaming and acting like a little monster. As a non-parent, it drives me nuts. If I were a parent, I think it would probably bother me even more. And yes, I'm generalizing. Of course I haven't encountered every child in Cancun (thank goodness! haha) but from my observations, they don't seem to be a very well-behaved lot. (By the way, Dani and Canuck's Max were both very good when I saw them so they don't count.)

I have to admit though, the screaming child at Taipei was much less annoying than the pack of unattended children that were laying in the middle of the floor and, later, doing cartwheels through Tok's. All while their parents had lunch and ignored the kids completely.

10. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went to Taipei last week and it wasn't bad, wasn't great either but still better than the buffet at Hong Kong. I felt stuffed but also felt the food was a little too rich and certainly nothing special, although it was nice to have crispy sweet and sour chicken balls as opposed to rubber ones (Lucky in Las Americas!). Talking of Lucky it was amazing when it first opened, just like a Chinese from England but it went steadily downhill and now we refuse to eat there, always cold, always rubbery and very poor.
    I'll give that Lau's a try, thanks for the tip, love a good Chinese, it seems like theirs a perfect opportunity for making a lot of money in Cancun, open a Chinese that doesn't suck, if Hong Kong, Tai Pei or Lucky were open in England, they would make no money as their would be at least 10 better options in each town.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice