new "better" modem?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by jenleib, Dec 1, 2008.

1. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since my modem failed (2WIRE), Telmex exchanged it for a new Thomson.

Is it that modem (which they said was much better) or an Infinitum problem? It is soooooooo slow that I can't upload any picture or contact a person online. :roll:

Anyone else has this experience? Thanks

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I am always complaining about how slow the 2wire Infinitum is! I guess it can always get worse! I will not complain about that anymore. Besides the slowness, the only other complaint I have is that from home (not from work where I have infinitum too) I can't send emails from my work email address. Something about changes and ports 25 and 26.

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems like a lot of people have problems with Telmex internet for home use who post here.

You should try Cablemas - I rarely have any problems at all with my internet, it's been fantastic for over a year now, great price as well.

4. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    internet

I don't want to jinx it, but I have to agree with matkirk. I've had good service with Cablemas' internet for quite a while now. Very few outages and they are usually just a few minutes. I can only recall a couple of times where it was longer (and once was due to disconnected cable on my street). After I got a spiffy new modem (talked them into changing it out when they were here installing phone and digital cable), I've had pretty good speed too. Of course, there are a few moments of painfully low speeds here and there...but not enough to be too annoying.

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's an easy one. Change your SMTP port from 25 to 587. I know you know how to get there so I won't do the usual step-by-step.

BTW, they changed out my modem about two months ago for a 2Wire and I couldn't be happier. I have the 2K tier service and I average almost 1800 down ad around 225 up, which is better than anything I've had in the past 4 years.

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If, and it's a big if, your Infinitum connection is solid, and you're willing to pay, you get better speeds with Telmex. I don't really know the density numbers for Cablemas in centro, but cable-modem based systems slow down as more users come on line, whereas DSL is unaffected because digital subscriber lines are by definition single user straight to the switch.

I don't know if Cablemas ties you in to their TV service or not, but since I don't want their TV service, I wouldn't consider their Internet if it was bundled.

Telmex will begin their new fiber-to-the-home incentive (like Verizon's Fios in the US) sometime next year. If they sell it unbundled from the TV content it will be a no-brainer choice. They've already converted their entire backbone to fiber (remember the outages several months ago) and the north end of the hotel zone already has the fiber trunk in place. I can't wait. Of course they're going up against Cablemas, but I suspect Carlos Slim can get around that quite easily.

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Mel!! I will try it when I get home.

8. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have Cablemas in the studio (complete package with phone, internet and TV, with an extension for the TV in my apartment). I have my phone with Telmex and internet Infinitum, so I don't want another package with Cablemas.

I know Telmex is working on a TV service, I don't have the details, they would better work on what they already have, but his modem seems hell. Supposed to be the best!!! :roll:

My network doesn't work, and many times (well, it has been 3 days) when I send a long message (for support for example with many details) or upload a picture I get "the connection was disabled while loading the page". NEVER EVER got that before. Of course they don't support Network, and the rest is my fault (or my computer's, whatever). I wouldn't have change it if the 2WIRE hadn't failed.

:evil:

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A few bits....

Cablemas used to be unreliable with unpredictable speeds. I had it when I first moved here, with the "basic internet" plan rated at 128kbps, that was painfully slow during most of the day, but at night I once saw download speeds as high as 6mb even thou I was only paying for the 128kbps speed. I stuck it out with them for the first 3 years I was here because of the fact I could get on at night and suck in all of my favorite TV shows and such at much higher speeds than I was paying for, despite the fact that it would go out all together for days at a time.

Right about 2 years ago they switched to their "digital" system and instantly my once blazing overnight speeds were "capped" exactly at the 128kbps that I was paying for and not a bit more. At that point I switched to TelMex which I have been using since with only a handful of issues.

Since then, in the past 8 months or so, I have heard people tell me repeatedly how much better Cablemas has gotten as far as their reliability. I've even had several friends that were tired of Telmex's BS switch and they haven't looked back since, including one who makes high use of a VOIP phone and he is convinced that it works better with Cablemas.. I myself have thought about going back but just haven't done it..

I've been recommending Cablemas over Telmex when it comes to internet to anyone who asks, assuming that its available in their area.

On the modem issue, I've had the chance to compare the standard 2wire Gateway against the Thompson. In my observation the only noticeable difference was that the Thompson modem had a much weaker wireless range than the 2wire. (and yes the signal was turned up to the max level in both modems) Other than that they both seemed to get connected and work equally once they were configured. I would think that you can tell Telmex that their Thompson modem is not compatible with your system and (eventually) get another 2wire put in.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice