New baby in! Cats, out!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jensey46, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jensey46

Jensey46 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all! I'm new to these boards, but I've been living in Cancun for a few years. My wife recently joined me and now we're expecting a baby this April. We're very excited, but the problem is this:

I have 2 cats... both about 10 months - 1 year old... they're the sweetest, most adorable things in the world, named Talon and Reese (because her color's like a peanut buttercup!). They're my little babies and we love them very much, but we don't want our newborn to be around cats, especially during the first few years of her life. Crawling... into the litter-box is what comes to mind. Not good.

Are there any cat-lovers out there? They're both vaccinated and extremely healthy, strong cats, and I can't just put them to sleep. They're completely well-behaved and trained, outdoor and indoor. But I don't know what to do with them? And I was wondering if I could find them a good home with someone here on this board. Or perhaps, someone would have an idea about what to do with them. I have too big of a heart to hurt them in any way, and was hoping some veterans around here would know something I don't, or better yet want to meet them and give them a home. Anyway, post me back on here if anyone's interested or has advice for me. Because I just don't want my unborn child to be affected in any way... so, thanks in advance...

Ciao,
    Matt

2. Jensey46

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hah, I just saw a username on this board "Reese&Talon", and thought... omg?! Those are my exact cats' names I'm trying to give away in my post! Turns out it's my wife asking for maternity clothes advice, how funny... well, either way, you can see a picture of my cats in a post about Maternity something or other, a few posts down, started by member: Reese&Talon. They're adorable, but we just don't want them around the newborn.

Anyway, thanks!
    Matt

3. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not an expert, so take it for what it's worth. When my boy was born I asked the doctor if pets would be ok to have around the house when my boy came home. He said having pets was good because he would not develope so many allergies.

Babies and pets are cool, but like I said, I'm not an expert.

Good luck and congrats on the new baby.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is the only thing you are worried about the litter box? There's no reason why you can't have cats and a newborn. Millions of people do it without a problem. I did it, I had two cats when my daughter was born. There was never an issue.

I think it's better for children to grow up in a home with animals in it. They learn to respect animals at a young age. My daughter is now 12 and loves and respects animals.

If your worry is the child getting into the litter box then you can find a way to keep the baby out of it. I don't think my daughter ever once got in the litter box when she was a toddler. I just put it in a place she couldn't get to easily.

For one thing when you have a young child who is crawling or walking they need constant supervision anyway. You have to keep them out of the oven, out of the toilet bowl, out of the cleaning supplies...you have to watch them all the time anyway. Keeping a kid out of the litter box is not going to be hard imho.

Or is there another reason you want to get rid of the kitties?

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There really is no reason to get rid of the well loved cats! We've got a 21 month old son who came after our kitty and have had no problems. Lots of myths about the dangers, I have had several little old Mayan women tell me that being pregnant in a house with cats means the babies are born with fur in their lungs. Yes, you need to be careful of the litter, but that's easy. The benefits of having the pets are enormous! Keep your babies!

Oh, and congratulations again. :D

6. Jensey46

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, there's several reasons why we can't have them. There's diseases here that our cats could drag in from the neighborhood, who knows what they'll get into? And we're both working all day and will be once the baby arrives, so they'll be lonely. Also, financially? We're making BOTH OF US together, 14,000 pesos... we have to save for the baby. So there's a bunch of reasons we think it's time to part with them... so is anyone looking for a lil kitty to love? (Or knows of somewhere to put them?)

Matt

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shots are not too much money, and will keep everyone in the house safe.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    We just acquired a new kitten a couple of months back somewhat reluctantly, so no more room at the inn here I'm afraid.

We have a two year old daughter and really didnt want to take the kitten in, but unless we did it probably would have died (big floods nowhere to go). Since then, they've got on great. Obviously, our daughter is not a newborn but she is learning to love animals at an early age which I too think is important.

As for the litter tray dilemma, we have our kittys litter tray in a closet which is always just open enough for the cat to get into but not our daughter, so far no problems.

I hope you can find a home for them if you need to, but like others I wouldnt worry too much and hope you may find room for the whole 'family'.

Oh and by the way, welcome to you and your hubby to the message board. :wink:

9. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am going to chime in about the reason you should KEEP the cats as well.
    The supposed Disease does exist Its called Toxoplasmosis the largest spreader are bats and anyday the wind picks up and blows Guano the bacteria can be spread.
    I had 3 cats during and after pregnancy never had a problem and I was considered "High Risk" .
    The test for this "disease" should be done if you have cats or not, it's a blood test. Your Wife should not clean the Litter box just to be safe. My daughter is now 9 and LOVES cats and dogs. I hope you keep your cats.

10. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just like people who get dogs and then turn them out when they don't want them anymore - pets are for life not just to give away when something better comes along. It's about making changes to adjust - of course the child is more important but there are ways round it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice