Need to buy a camera

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Isla Zina, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Nikon CoolPix L18 died after a very short life. Lens error. I had a CoolPix s210 that couldn't withstand a bus tire in Merida, but I forgive it! I need to get something similar tomorrow and was thinking Costco. Anyone have any ideas, suggests, etc or what's available out there? Is there some place better than Costco to look? Are there brands that have serviced here? I had a US purchase Kodak Easy Share that died after a short life, too, last year and couldn't be serviced here. Thanks for any input!

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After searching around town (Costco, Sam's, City Club,etc.)I found the best price for what I wanted at Wal-Mart.

3. Isla Zina

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim.
    What did you get and about how much was it. I know I will pay pay pay. It helps to know ahead! Thanks.
    z.

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a Sony Cybershot 7.2 MP for about $300 usd

5. Isla Zina

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Jim!

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you can wait a few days to get it (or borrow someone else's) you can almost always get a better price on www.mercadolibre.com.mx (Mexico's Ebay)

7. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also have a SONY Cyber Shot 8.1 megapixels, I didn't buy it in Mexico ... but I like it!

[​IMG]

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a 3 year old Sony CyberShot and I love it. My previous camera (a Canon) had proprietary batteries, this one takes regular AAs, which is a 1000% better imho.

When I bought mine from Amazon.com they had the same model in Costco here for 40% more money. Electronics are too expensive here imho, it's better to get them in the States and bring them back.

9. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw 2 Cybershot cameras today at Telebodega. 8.1 and 10.1. 3700 and 4300 I think. No idea about the quality.

Does that help, Zina?

10. Isla Zina

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I RUSHED to WalMart and got a Canon A470 for 1700 pesos. A great value and perfect for illustrating my blog. Thanks for all the advice. Anyone similarly situated, follow Jim's advice. Walmart had not yet gotten new cameras since the exchange rates went crazy, so the camera was "old dollar" priced. So are some nice Fujis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice