Need Quick Advice Breakers!

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by NickyD, Jul 15, 2008.

1. NickyD

NickyD I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, so for the past few months I have been quietly planning a relocation to somewhere that it doesn't get so stinkin' cold during the wintertime. Everyone has dreams of living in a destination that's beautiful and awesome, so I figured where better then Hawaii huh? It's a US territory. As a dreamer, I filled out 1 single application on the state of Hawaii's website to work as a correctional officer and to my utter surprise, I was contacted and told that they are in need of applicants. I returned the email a few months later with my qualifications and was told to wait to hear from someone. (this was in June). Yesterday I got a letter which told me that the last step in the long strung out employment process was to attend the Physical Fitness Test IN HONOLULU. The letter SPECIFICALLY states that if I do not show up to this meeting, ALL ELIGIBILITY for employment through the state of Hawaii will be suspended and I will have to reapply in a year or whenever the opening is posted up and that guarantees nothing. The date has been determined for July 29th which is exactly 2 weeks from today. Unfortunately under such short notice It's going to be very tough for me to book a flight which is over 1200$ round trip. I only need to stay for one day. What do all of you think?

Thanks y'all!

2. rikib004

rikib004 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    DO IT MAN

might be a bit pricey first off but what a great change in lifestyle!

I would say go do it buddy! AND GOOD LUCK!

3. hw711

hw711 Moderator/Dance Machine Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't companies usually pay for the flight if they want to interview you and you live far away?

4. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, you applied seriously for a job 8,000 miles away but never had a clue what to do if they actually called you to Hawaii?
    Well that's like me showing up at Jessica Biel's door step, knocking on the door, and she actually letting me in,
    but then not knowing what to say to her… :lol:

So, my advice: Think quick, make like you know what you're doing, then beg, borrow, or just give-up….
    :cool: :D

5. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i agree, you should have thought about what would happen IF you got the call before you actually did.......now that you did get the call...DO IT!! its Hawaii!!

6. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's a state job. Gov't doesn't pay for shit.

but they do a helluva background check.

7. NickyD

NickyD I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

No Zackman. It took them MONTHS to get back to me numerous times before. The point I'm trying to make is that they didn't give me enough notice. It is ridiculous of them or anyone to think that a person can drop everything and fly like that when they are a qualified candidate. Who said I don't have a clue on what to do? I'm asking for advice.

8. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I couldn't really answer the question with a simple yes, do it or no don't do it. I would weight various factors before deciding one way or the other.

1) Are you independent enough right now to have NO problems with uprooting from where you are now and moving to Hawaii. The more independent and unattached that you are to your current location, the more likely you will find the move to be the right thing to do.

2) Can you really afford to uproot now and make a smooth transition to Hawaii. (i.e. Can you just pack a bag an go, or do you have a crapload of "stuff" that you can't leave behind?") The less "stuff" you have, the easier it is to live cheaper upon arrival.

3) Have you looked into the cost of living at the locations where you are most likely to be placed if you get hired? Hawaii is VERY expensive compared to the mainland.

4) What would you do for transportation upon arrival for work? Do you have a car that you must sell here first? Are you in a position to buy a car there upon arrival?

5) Do you have enough in savings or line of credit at a bank to tide you over till your first paycheck? Or would you be strapped completely upon arrival and in need of government aid temporarily. If so, I'd look into residency requirements to qualify for government assistance. Sometimes it's just a matter of applying once you set foot in state, sometimes you have to prove residency of a certain number of days before you can apply.

6) Is there anything in your background that might pop up on a background check that might disqualify you from being eligible for hire? If so, forgetaboutit......

7) Do you have a "good" answer as to why you want to get the job and uproot all the way across the country....they will no doubt ask that. They don't want to hire & train someone from "the mainland" only to have them get homesick and want to go back home. I'd start thinking of a excellent answer to that NOW.

A decent approach is something along the lines of.....you want to work in law enforcement and have done your research and the state of hawaii ranks around 40th in violent crime....which is good for anyone considering a law enforcement career. In addition, since the establishment of the Dept. of Public Safety's existance only ONE officer has been killed in the line of duty. Daniel Browne-Sanchez (shot) Feb 10, 2007.

I would also do some research into how modern/updated their facilities are compared to other places in the US. Then just feed them stuff on how their department is so much better than others......

If you decide to fly out for the physical fitness test, don't forget to calculate the time difference, factor in jet lag, and give yourself enough time to adjust and pass the exam without a lot of difficulty.

Bottom line....have a plan B in case things don't work out.

Michelle

9. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: ...

Okay you are right, the nerve of an employer to believe job candidates would actually be prepared to take a job that they applied for months ago and have been waiting on. Seems rather outrageous now that you mention it

I’d seriously turn them down …

10. Ant95

Ant95 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    throw the flight on the visa and worry about it later, then if possible switch ure card to a one of those zero percent balance transfers things

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice