Need Ideas for new businesses for Cancun + Playa

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by MartinnVegas, Sep 23, 2006.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it may be Terre Cazola

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam- That's Tere Cazola, the one I spoke of in my post.

3. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you, i'm going there soon. Tracey, I miss Ribena too, funny you said that, i didn't even drink it that much in England but all I could think about the other day was Ribena! haha What sort of bread should i look for in Europea, haven't even been in there yet, is it a good shop?

Matt your a legend, full stop. :wink: Also, I think we should swap mate, you come and drink coke and fried food all day and i'll go and eat salads and fresh fruit, that's what i like!

mixz1, will take your word for it on a new york cheescake, the sainsburys extra special one is a delight to eat, you end up eating the whole lot, especially with double cream (where can you by that in Cancun??), however if you say so then i'll make it my mission in life to try one, I think theres an episode on friends where they keep stealing the neighbours cheesecakes because they're so good!

Sorry for completely changing the subject from businesses to food!

Randomly I found Pez the other day in Chedraui, does anyone remember them when we was kids, Pez dispensers, the sweets are lovely!

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Martinn,

Well amigo, it looks like your plans are moving forward. Did you sell your other place yet?

What I miss in Cancun is a good fast burger, ala Wendy's. And many times, when I return to the states, is stop at Denny's for breakfast food. I don't know how a Denny's concept would go over with the nationals, but it would be a hit with the ex-pats. Of course getting great bacon and grits would be a challenge but the main thing I have not yet found is sausage, either links or Jimmy Dean style.

But cunspin is right. If anyone has a good idea they will probably keep it to themselves. I don't think there is any substitute for coming down by yourself for a few weeks if possible, living dirt cheap, and observing and talking. A good friend of mine, a real estate developer in Florida, came for a week and when he wasn't playing golf, he hired a taxi for 3 hours per day and just rode around, picking the drivers' brains. Just a thought but the taxis go everywhere and see everything.

I have an idea I will share with you when I see you and I will go in with you if you like it. I am not interested in doing it all myself and cannot, with my travel schedule. See ya soon I hope.

5. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Denny's was here for years at all the locations Sanborns are at now, to me there is not that much a difference between Sanborns, Vip,Toks in that they are all Cafeteria type restaurants , I do prefer Vips and Toks though.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I remember the Denny's especially the one at Plaza Mayan Fair which was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have been to all of the ones you mentioned and "they ain't no Denny's" for whatever reason there may be. And even the old Denny's were not what they are like these days in the USA.

To this gringo Denny's is #1 for breakfast junk food with flavor.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Denny's

The best junk breakfast in the US, plus you eat free on your birthday.

8. snorklebum

snorklebum Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Everybody always thinks in terms of retail, but there are a lot of needs that aren't served because they aren't glamor businesses.

Little storage warehouse spaces is something people need all over the country and people tend not to provide. You've got people who come down for the season and want to leave watercraft or bikes or whatever. Local carpenters, etc. rent them to store stuff and work.

Worth looking into.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's very true that there's no where here that I know of store your stuff. People rent cheap commercial space sometimes to use for storage, but one of those store it yourself places with security would probably have a market here.

If it were me I wouldn't get into retail in this fickle market, I don't have the stomach for it. One growth industry here is obviously construction. Some of the people I know who do best with commissions are sales people for a local concrete company.

And the ratio of property price to rental income here is quite good if you are careful. You can buy some properties quite cheaply and get decent rents for them, but you really have to know where to buy and what to buy, and you have to want to be a landlord. But once you have a decent rental in place it becomes nearly passive income.

10. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually it is what I want to do. Small store-it-yourself and garage. I get mad every year when I leave, I never know where to leave my car (well, now I do!), and for hurricane time too. The storage spaces here are huge.

So I am waiting for a convenient small piece of land to appear ( :wink: ) to build 3-4 spaces, the best hurricane-proof I can, and rent them. Thanks for confirming there is a market. I tried to do a study, but everyone says it is a good idea but not more :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice