Need Ideas for new businesses for Cancun + Playa

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by MartinnVegas, Sep 23, 2006.

1. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can I hear a list of suggestions of stuff that you had in your home countries, and that are lacking in Mexico? You know, besides certain foods and specific items at stores. A lady in another forum mention a car and furniture storage place. I don't want to come to Cancun and figure out what I'll do for a living once I'm there. I saw some exitement when someone mentioned a starbucks coming to town. Coffee that bad in Mexico? Thanx for the input.

2. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have done quite a bit of research in terms of starting/owning a business in Mexico myself. I'm not sure how much you have done so far, but I would highly reccomend doing some reading before you start to entertain the idea of starting a business down there. From what I have read so far, it can be very very difficult for a foreigner to start a business in Mexico. It is definately possible to do though as long as you know what youre up against.

Some of the regulations that I have come across that would make things difficult are:

As a foreigner, you cannot be the sole owner of a business. It has to have partial Mexican ownership.

The amount of involvement in the business you can have is very limited unless you gain Mexican citizenship, which can and will take a while.

Just some food for thought, if you havent come across some of the info already.

3. MartinnVegas

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you Lambert.

Fortunatelly though, I am a born Mexican, so that should take care of half the hassel. I am a union multitrade man but I know tradesmen don't get paid very well there. I thought of buying land and building houses but I have limited capital and I'd have to learn the primitive building codes they have there if any. I may build my own house though. What kind of business did you have in mind?

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Martin, I don't know but If i had or have a business in mind I don't think I would post it on a public forum maybe that is just me :? Another thing, Cancunis NOT an easy place for Expats or Mexicans regardless of what business you are in or interested in starting. People often are under a false impression that having a business here will bring in the $$$ but Most businesses fail....miserably.

5. MartinnVegas

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cunspin,

Maybe that is the reason why they failed. Proper market research should be done. Providing a non necessity obviusly will increase the chances for failure. As far as posting it in a public forum, well, I won't know if I don't ask. But I'm sure eveyrone no matter where they go, always find something missing. "Why can't they have this?" "Why can't they make this like back home?" If somoene beats me to an idea and they succeed, good for them.

I know the hassels you guys go through to get visas, drivers licenses etc. How about a paralegal office that might take care of that stuff hassel free?

How about a company retroffiting homes for handicapped ppl? If any of you want to try it, I don't mind sharing my ideas. I might even find a partner, an employer or employees familiar with that. I'll be glad to find something that would enable me to hire some foreigners if I can.

Now, I attended la Universidad de Guadalajara. A friend of mine I grew up with, (he graduated there too) started a very successful company providing the outsourcing for big foreing companies in Guadalajara. He offered me a job as his VP but I don't think I can work for my best friend. I asked him if he would be interested in expanding to Cancun since he has 3 other offices in different states. We haven't talked about that lately, but that's another idea. Anyone wants to go for it, be my guet. I'm not a greedy person, just an inovative entrepreneur. All I really want when we move there is not having to worry about bills, provide my 3.5 yo boy with a good education and walk with him and his dog on those sandy beaches in the morning. Impossible? hardly. Will it happen?, not sure but if I don't try, I won't know.

Thanks for your repplies.

6. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree...you may find a lurker fill the niche before you do.

7. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was thinking along the Lines of come up with your own good idea don't have someone give it to you.

8. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That too. :lol:

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    I wish someone would come up with an international food import business, lots of red tape and officialdom I'm sure. But trekking down to Belize for beans and curry sauce is no fun.... well it's fun but it's hassle.

10. flowerdew

flowerdew Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ...how about opening a gym? or maybe a bar?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice