NEED HELP QUICK!! Should we Go

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by TSGood, Mar 26, 2009.

1. TSGood

TSGood Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, My family and I have never traveled to Cancun before. I have an 8yr old and 15 yr old daughters. We are scheduled to stay at The Great Paranassus April 12 -17. Now... with all the negative media regarding the drug cartels my husband has decided that we should not go. I have tried to assure him that it is safe and that those things are happening in very specific areas nowhere near the resorts. I have already pd in full and cannot get any of my money back. I just wanted some feedback from some of those that have been to Cancun in the LAST COUPLE WEEKS or so. I would never intentionally put my girls in harms way.... what should I do. :( Thanks in advance.

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Call me, I will go, leave your hubby at home.

Really though, we just got back on the 8th from 11 days in Cancun and we stay downtown not in the Hotel Zone and we saw no troubles anywhere or anytime. I feel safer in Cancun then I do when I go to Minneapolis. In fact I would bet there is way more heavy crime in MPLS than in Cancun.

If you cant talk him into going send me a PM!!! :lol:

Oh also read this thread on Cancun violence.
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41379&start=0

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Of course you should go!

Sorry, but your husband needs to look at a map of Mexico and see where the problems really are (well over a thousand miles away). It would be like cancelling a trip to Vegas because a drug gang member got killed in New York. There has not been one single drug cartel incident in Cancun that has affected tourists in any way whatsoever, and I very much doubt there ever will be.

Here's some recent discussions on the same topic:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41379
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41406

You will really enjoy Great Parnassus - it's our favourite family hotel.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I should have added that on 16/17 April Barrack Obama will be in Cancun. You should expect security to be extremely tight during this time and the days leading up to his visit. You couldn't choose a safer time to visit.

Now, give those two daughters of yours the vacation they always dreamed of!

5. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just got back from Cancun last night, and I definitely say you should go! We went with another couple who also (the wife at least) was getting pretty nervous about all of the negative press, and we said not to worry. You just are smart about things like any big city, don't flash a bunch of money around, wear big jewelry, etc. We went walking around in the hotel zone in the early morning for a nice walk, in the evening after it was dark out, went to Wal Mart in Cancun city, went out to a nice restaurant in Cancun City, and never once did any of us feel unsafe. You just use common sense, and have a wonderful trip!! This was our 7th trip, and I already want to go back. Just go and enjoy and don't worry!!

6. CancunWithMe.com

CancunWithMe.com Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, so yes it is as safe as ever over here in Cancun. I live here and there is no problems. Recently, about a month ago a general of the military got killed here because of the drug cartels, but it didn't affect tourism at all.

The narcos are called "zetas" here, and in 3 months I am yet to run into one of them. If you come here and start looking to purchase large quantities of drugs you might run into them and might see some violence, but if you are just a family looking to have a great time, cancun and riviera maya are the places to be!!!

Hope this info helps.

Manny

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancun is as safe now as it was a year ago or two years ago or five years ago. None of the narco violence has effected the tourists in Cancun in any way at all. Tourists here need to worry about not getting a sunburn or a hangover, they need to use common sense.

8. TSGood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Everyone!! Hopefully I can let hubby read your posts and convince him that we are going to have a great time. We are going with three other families and I'm very excited.... gotta get him on board. :D

9. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    yes, have him join the board!! Mexico has gotten a lot of bad media, but people seem to think its in cancun. Like everyone else said, its around the border cities that are close to the US, NOT anywhere near cancun. Trust me, you will feel VERY safe in cancun, actually you are more safe likely in cancun than your own city! No problems, head down, enjoy the beautiful weather and ocean and have a great time!!!

10. TSGood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry Gonzo... but with everyones help here I, (we) were able to convince hubby not to worry and come along to Cancun!! Can't Wait. Thanks Again for all the reassurances..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice