Need help on getting married in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ckat414, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ckat414

ckat414 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there,

I am going to Cancun in April to get married with only my fiance, no family, no friends. I have checked into a few wedding planning companies online, but they have such big exspensive packages that i'm wondering if anyone knows of another way to do this. I don't need anything fancy, no flowers, cake, wine, transportation, just someone to help with legalties and marry us on the beach. I don't see why that will cost $1000, i'm sure the locals dont pay that!

does anyone have any help on this?

2. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the cheapest way? well, go get your license at your local courthouse, do the legalities here in the States...maybe a day or two before you leave...obviously check to see that they are open, etc. Then, do what they call a 'religious' ceremony package in Cancun. They are cheaper than the full legal ceremony, with less strings.

We did this at palace resorts, and they did an awesome job. You would have never known the difference between our ceremony and a 'legal' ceremony. We did the ring exchange and everything.

3. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    we were staying a Xpu Ha palace as well...can't be from another resort to get the package.

Most hotels offer a wedding package....legal and 'religious' ceremonies...check out the hotel you are staying at and see what they offer.

4. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A relious ceremony would be cheaper I would assume as there's less red tape.

That type of ceremony does not legally change your marital status. It's not recognized as a legal marriage. For that you need a civil ceremonmy and there is red tape for that.

And aswe all know...red tape costs.

5. CancunNurse

CancunNurse Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You really have to find out what to do. I have a good friend that runs a wedding service here. I know from what she says that it's much easier to get married in the states (to have it recognized legally there) and then have a ceremony here. Otherwise, you need blood tests here, you have to go through the rigamaroll of our courts (not a pleasant experience), it's jut easier for you to do it where you live and come down here to have a ceremony performed. I know a Pastor here that can perform the ceremony for you (not an expensive guy at all...besides being a real sweetheart!) and what else would you need?...that's keeping expenses down! PM me if I can help...

6. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am getting married in Tulum this July and the 600-1000 dollar range is about as cheap as you can get for a legal wedding organized by a planner. You could theoretically save money by doing all the legwork yourself, but I can guarantee it would be extremely hard. Especially from home.

Some resorts like Dreams and Riu offer free wedding packages if you stay for a certain length of time and in a certain room class. And the wedding planning is included in the package.

7. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here in Las Vegas you can go to the drive-through and get legally married on a moped for 50 bucks. Elvis will do that too. Not sure how much the marriage license is up to but I think less than 100 bucks. Is the divorce that costs an arm, a leg, an eye and some other body part if your spouse's attorney is meaner than yours.

9. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Not true...

We attorneys stopped taking body parts as payment months ago. :wink:

10. gottaski

gottaski Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0
    Martin: i used to threaten my then-g/f-now-wife with a drive through wedding on mopeds while we were dating! i left out Elvis, though...

Karan: i am sure there are still a few attorneys in the deep south that accept limbs as payment!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice