Need Help Deciding - Hawaii or Cancun??

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Vegas Melissa, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Vegas Melissa

Vegas Melissa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK - I know this might sound stupid posting this on a Cancun Forum but I need to make a decision soon! Wanted to originally go back to Hawaii as it was the very 1st vacation my husband and I ever went on together (about 10 yrs ago) & then went back 3 yrs in a row. After that we decided we wanted to try somewhere new and ended up in Cancun for our honeymoon in 2002. Been back at least 7-8 times... We loved it!

Anyway... Haven't been back to Hawaii in 8 years and Cancun in 2 years. Love them both but I'm stuck! My husband says I can pick whichever. We love snorkling, eating, relaxing and some shopping. We just really want to relax and love life. We're looking to go in June. Any opinions would be great!

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You really cant go wrong in either location! I think hawaii would give you a greater variety on food and things to do, but as far as beauty and just getting away, I would go for cancun. While hawaii is far away, it is still a state, and when I am in cancun, I just feel like everything is so far away and I can just lay around and forget about everything!! Nothing in this world like cancun!

3. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What the engineer said!^ :D

If you want to eat, drink and shop like Kings for a lot less money go to Cancun. With the dollar to peso rate, we were getting almost 50% more peso's to the dollar this year compared to last year.

4. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What about switching it up a bit and doing a vacation to Playa Del Carmen? Lots of shopping, great beaches and all that.

Other islands in the Caribbean can be done for reasonable prices too. Jamaica, Bahamas, and some others.

I got into a rut with Mexico and decided to see a lot more places and islands before we go back again. So far, so good. Puerto Rico next week and probably Tobago this summer.

5. LemonHead

LemonHead Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife and I, the kids and the inlaws went to Hawaii last summer. Absolutely awsome time! From the hotel to the beach to the driving tours to the golf course to the private chef doing sunset dinners on the beach. All of it was wonderful!

Save for the price. $$$$$$$$$

Three weeks after we got back I was getting ready to start a new job and knew that my traveling was going to be shut down for a while and very limited for a good long while. Having been to Cancun (and other parts of Mexico) many times and loving each trip I chose to take a quick, last mintue trip to Playa Del Carmen (a new destination for me) for one last hoorrah. I just loved it!

It really feels alot like Cancun from years past. Not as touresty but still with all the convinenance of 21st century Mexico setting. Great beaches, great people and great food and drink. I enjoyed it so much that my wife and I are taking a little get away in April back to the PDC for 5 days.

We could have gone where ever we wanted but considering the proximity, price, travel time, accomodations and activity options we went for PDC. So two weeks and two days from now we are there. Can't wait!

6. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Jason ... I'll be waiting for pictures, LOTS of pictures!!!

HOPE YOU AND KAREN HAVE A GREAT TRIP!
    :cool:

7. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This time around you will get to see photos of Senor Jason on a surfboard. Hopefully no photos of me in a hospital follow them :lol:

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How long is the flight to Hawaii? How long to Cancun? How many days do you have? I think you should factor those hours into your decision. When I lived in NY I could leave for Cancun and be on the beach the same afternoon. Our trips to Hawaii were obviously much longer.

I imagine the flight time from Vegas (you are in Vegas, no?) is considerably longer to Hawaii than Cancun. You have to be the judge over how much bad air and bad food you want to consume while trapped in a metal tube and how much time you want spend getting someplace.

For me, I prefer the Carbbean to the Pacific around Hawaii, although the diving is better there. Since we moved to Cancun, the allure of Hawaii has diminshed a bit, and we've only returned there once. Clearly YMMV. Have a great time whichever you choose..

9. Vegas Melissa

Vegas Melissa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for your responses everyone! As usual this forum is so helpful!

We decided on Cancun and are so excited to go back. After weighing all the pros/cons of both we finally decided. I like that we can get a lot more bang for our buck in MX (especially with the exchange rate being so good). Plus the flight to Hawaii is a bear! And we couldn't ignore the fact that we can take the bus everywhere in cancun vs renting a car in Hawaii.

We decided to stay at the Westin Lagunamar. We use to stay there when it was the Sheraton (pre-Wilma). We just loved the location - you can't beat it! Plus now it's rebuilt and looks more beautiful than ever. We were in Cancun in 2006 and couldn't stay there because it was not rebuilt yet. So this will be a nice treat!

We will be there from 6/12 - 6/20 (8 nights). I guess I better start planning! Thanks again all! :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice