Need help/advice with a 2nd stray dog.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Dec 11, 2008.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, will try to keep this short.

Me and the wife already own a shelter dog (from Maria Alicia in Bonfil - RAP) since before.

Now, the last 4 days there has been this beautiful beige female dog in the park, running up to everyone that walks, runs or just passes through.

I have bought her food and brought her water these days, hoping that she is just "lost", but nobody has claimed her, nor have we seen any wanted-posters....

Yesterday there was a disturbing event, that actually led to something god(in a way).

I took our dog out for a late afternoon walk and off course the little homeless girl is still there... I walk for about 1 minute and then I hear this heart piercing scream - 3 bigger dogs are attacking this one. I hand over Luna (our dog) to a neighbor that’s passing by, and take off after these dogs. I circle the building 3 times before I finally catch up with them. They corner her and start biting her.

I manage to get close enough to see what’s going on. Unfortunately I have to kick and punch the three large dogs to get them the h*ll off the little girl. After a couple of minutes I’m done and I’m standing with the stray in my arms. The owner comes running and blames ME for "attacking her dogs"!! I snap and let her have it... Curse words in Spanish that I can’t even remember learning fly out.

Eventually she grabs her dogs and leaves the park.

I bring the girl home to give her water, food and a rest.

Later we call Maria Alicia, but as you know, she is already over hear eras with strays, so she can not take her.

Since we are leaving for a long weekend to Mexico City, she agrees to keep the girl there until we get back. She will be snipped and patched up(some deep bite marks). I went to the hospital to get a shot for the bites that I was given and to clean some deeper bites.

Now to the real problem: The owner of our flat is not the animal-lover kind, actually quite the opposite. We had to fight to take in Luna, and they will most likely throw us out if they find out. Well, we are ready to sneak around as long as we can to keep her.

I have contacted Alison on Isla Mujeres for advice/tips, but still awaiting an answer.

Now I need your help. Does anyone know of any other place that adopts/rescues strays around here??

She is well behaved, loves any other dog we meet and is dead silent. No barking, no growling no nothing. She is not fully house trained (potty trained) but it shouldn’t take more than a couple of weeks.

You can tell she has been dumped since she is not skinny and is very calm indoors. She is dead scared of the broom, so I’m guessing she has been struck before...

Her name is now Miel (honey) because of her color and her personality :)

Here are some pictures! (The black one in 2 of the photos is Luna, our first stray)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you've already talked to both Alison and Maria Alicia then you've pretty much covered the dog rescue options in Cancun. I want to cry when I say that, but Cancun has almost no support for animals in need.

Please contact me with a PM or an email and I will get your contact details and then will send an email out to my big email list (100+ locals), someone on that list might be able to help.

3. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try contacting this group...

http://cancunanimalrescue.org/drupal/

Their website is not good and it's hard to find info, but you will find a phone number and email address if you are patient enough to click each page.

I wish I had room for more doggies in my house. :(

4. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've heard from several sources here on the island that Alison is no longer taking dogs. That doesn't mean she can't help, maybe she can, but don't count on her being able to take Miel herself.

Thank you for rescuing Miel. I wish there were lots of options here, but there are almost none (which is why we have the number of animals we do - all strays at one time). Good luck!

Sue
    http://dentrodeljardin.blogspot.com

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the Alison is having major "neighbor" issues right now. And Maria Alicia had 85 dogs as of Tuesday, she could have more by now, that's how she is.

6. meg27599

meg27599 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I realize I am getting to this a little bit late, but have you tried the Peanut Pet Shelter down in Playa? Admittedly, not in Cancun but they might be able to help.

7. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you Susan and Meg :)

I have emailed the Peanut shelter in Playa to see what they can do.

Meantime, Miel is settling in very well indeed! She and Luna are now best friends and they play, eat and even sleep together at night, hugging each other! :)

Im sure something will workout soon enough :)

Thank you for advice and support!

Merry xmas and a happy new year.

/Tony

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice