Need Doctor/Emergency Room Advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by s25843, Aug 24, 2008.

1. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Jen and TJ but I'm at home in MN now and my wife has a reoccurring ankle problem. She seems to twist it once a vacation. Darn sidewalks (well and my wife not looking where shes walking :wink: ).

She usually just uses the Tequila for her pain killer. :lol:

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gonzo and Jenlieb and the guy who heard his knee pop,

You cannot get any serious painkillers without a prescription. I believe there are 4, or maybe 5, classes of medicine/drugs/narcotics that you can buy at a pharmacy. Depending on what class it is determines whether or not you can get it over the counter.

You can get meds with codeine, for example, with out prescription, and other light weight drugs that you cannot get over the counter in the states.

For any serious stuff you need the consult.

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FYI, there is a consultorio in the Soriana next to the pharmacy. The doctor in there actually gave me the most thorough exam I've received in Mexico, and he spoke some English. 40 pesos.

There is a new Galenia clinic in Paseo Cancun as well. I've only seen it from the outside so don't have details as to services or prices, but it's an option. It's almost right next to Hooters. :D

4. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to casualty (ER for Steve) at Galenia and they only charged me 300 pesos plus meds - don't know why they were telling the gentleman who posted originally 850? Maybe if you walk in its cheaper or something, or if you call from the JW Marriott the tack a little commision on?

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe there is a tourist price and a local's price. Depends on the address you give them I believe.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Canuck,

I will give you a thorough exam for only $20 pesos.

T.J.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL, ok, T.J., just show me your credentials.

Or were you going to pay me the 20? :p

8. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ,
    LMAO :lol: Hahahaha, we will have to try and get together for a drink next February while we are there, have never met you but I can tell we would get along. I was thinking the same thing. teehee.

Sorry cancuncanuck. :oops:

9. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A few years ago Perry stepped off a tall curb wrong and twisted his ankle
    It swelled up and I was sure he broke it, but I couldn't convince him to go to the doc, instead he limped into the pharmacy. They gave him something for the pain and inflamation (I think)
    A few hours and he says he could have gone out dancing. :) That may have been the pain meds talking!

10. CancunNurse

CancunNurse Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For the Future...Excellent Trauma and Sports Doctor

There is an EXCELLENT Trauma Doctor in Cancun. Dr. Jose Marroquin has been in Cancun for the last 20 years and he operated on my leg when it was broken in 3 places! The care was EXCELLENT, the Hospital and Staff EXCELLENT (not Gallenia OR Hospiten!) and I was walking within 3 months...3 months quicker than my friend that broke his leg in NY!) I can't say enough nice things about him...and that´s from a VERY PICKY NURSE! His phone number is 892-0054 or 887-4646 and he is conveniently located on Av. Nader, next to Bisquetes. Hopefully, you´ll never need one but this is the guy you want if you´re broken!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice