Need Doctor/Emergency Room Advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by s25843, Aug 24, 2008.

1. s25843

s25843 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,
    I am out here on Business (actually, I gotta fly up to Mexico City on Tuesday, this (was) intended to be a little side trip) staying at the JW Marriott.

I slipped at the pool today and tore something in my knee, as I heard a popping sound as my knee twisted sideways. I tried to deal with it, as I can still walk, but with a huge limp and pain, however, I have a really good feeling that in the morning its going to hurt like hell.

Can anyone give me advice on whats close to me for maybe a doctor, hospita, or even someone that can give me a prescription for a painkiller to hold me over until I get back to the States? I have insurance that'll probally cover the costs when I get back home, but what place would not rip me off, and charge reasonable costs?

Also, would anyone have any idea on what these costs would be for an ER visit?

Thanks

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    My recommendation is Galenia (a modern hospital with ER) which is on the road to the airport about 2 miles out of downtown Cancun. Any taxi driver will know it, cost from JW Marriot for the taxi I would guess at 150 pesos and it will be about 20-30 mins away.

As for costs once there it depends on what they decide to do, for a basic lookover around 500 pesos, an X ray maybe the same again. Meds vary in cost obviously, but a prescription painkiller I'd guess maybe 200-300 pesos.

I would definitely recommend you have it checked out at Galenia rather than calling the "hotel doctor" it will most likely be cheaper and more professional.

Be great if you can report back and tell us how things went.

3. s25843

s25843 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, Thanks for the quick reply.

My company's Global Assist line (I think its run through American Express travel) also recommended the Galenia. I called and their basic emergency service is $850 pesos.

I ended up just calling the hotel doctor. I figured that by the time I got over to the hospital, then with everything else, it was easier just to do that.

He came within the hour, and only charged $800 pesos. Plus my insurance covers that as a normal office visit, so i'd get about $60 usd of that back.

It turns out I have a bad sprain, and he gave me a prescription for some pain killers.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you heard something pop, more than likely you have more than a severe sprain.

When you get to Mexico, which is where you will probably read this, you may need medical attention there. If you just need a serious pain killer, ask your hotel where you can find a Consultorio, which is basically a storefront doctor's office, where you pay a few dollars for a prescription that you can take to a farmacia to get your meds. In Cancun these places are where you can walk in for like $25 or $30 PESOS get your prescription, but not much health care. They have them in Mexico but it's a bit harder to point you to one as it is like Greater LA with 20% more area and 13 million MORE people.

Good luck.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Good to hear it worked out Ok with the hotel doc.... sometimes they can be a little hit or miss. Apologies for the underestimate on the ER consultation, kind of a best guess based on what I pay for a regular consultation... seems the ER is a little more.

TJ's gone all local :) when you read "Mexico" read "Mexico City" that's what he's referring to - can be a little confusing if you're not familiar with the protocol of using the Country name as the Capital.

6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ
    Are these "Consultorio's" in Cancun too. My wife tripped on the sidewalk last year and could have used some medication for her ankle. But not bad enough for an ER visit.

7. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Look who's talking Steve, ER? :lol:

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, Gonzo, they are all over town, often right next to a pharmacy. For sure there is one at Plaza Las Americas 2 that has a big sign saying $25.00, and that is PESOS.

What area are you in? I return tomorrow and can PM you back with one near you.

9. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We stay and enjoy being downtown. Usually at Hotel Alux on Uxmal by the bus depot. You drying out in FL??? Hope you didnt get all the flooding.

Thanks for the info!!

Tom

10. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope you don't have anything serious, but for a pain killer, no need for a prescription. Any pharmacy will give you one (Walmart for example). Even antibiotics are delivered without prescription. If not, you go to Farmacias y Similares, they have cheap generic products, the physicians consult for 25 pesos, but not sure about their knowledge.

But maybe you should go for an Xray.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice