Navigating Immigration, Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It depends. It's really hard to know from what people post here exactly where a case is in the process BUT, assuming Rawkus has already filled out the form giving details of his employment, color of eyes, etc., and resubmitted the missing documents, his card could be ready tomorrow. (I'm basing that on the fact that it seems he's had his appointment, already, and all that remains is to prepare the card- which takes no more than 15-20 minutes, and it may be ready when he gets there.)

Rawkus, try going first to the leftmost station as you enter the building (there is a gate there, that gives admittance to the areas behind the counters); present the paper identifying your case and tell them your there simply to pick up your document (FM3)- at best, your card will be ready and they'll just ask you to wait a few minutes to give them time to find your file; or, at worst, they'll send you to the appointment desk (counter on the right as you enter, leftmost station) where they will see all is in order and give you a date to return to pick up your card . My prediction, for what it's worth.

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: You are WAAAY ahead, haha ;)

All I have done is submitted my application with all the documents... Thats it as of now.

Resubmitted the lost stuff, and was told to "return in January", which I did.

The good thing(I hope) is that she didnt give me anything else to resubmit.

The bad thing? No damn info, whatsoever. Haha :)

Im still waiting to get instructions of payment and acquiring photos etc.

Gringation: Yeah, kinda needed it before Xmas, but what to do, right? :)

I dont want to wait a few weeks between the visits, as Im assuming the process of such is done(documents etc.). From what I understand, all Im waiting for is an appointment where I have to present proof of payment and photos.

So guys, to sum it up: All documents have been submitted - no appointment given....

If nothing has changed by Friday, Im getting in touch with Mauricio - this is just getting ridiculous.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    In this case, perhaps the second scenario, that they will give you an appointment date tomorrow, is the more likely.

[At the appointment, the applicant fills out a final form which inquires about details of employment, physical characteristics of the applicant which are personally identifying, etc. This procedure, plus the fact that it is done by appointment, makes this stage more readily recognizable. Following submission of that form, and a final review of the case documents, the card preparation process can begin.]

4. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: My bad, the payment and everything was "canceled" as they couldnt go ahead with documents missing. And they also misspelled my name, making it even more messed up.

Im hoping its all in order and that I, tomorrow, will be given a damn appointment, haha ;)

I just wish they could provide a sheet, kind of like the steps you wrote down, so that people can follow it step by step. It would make it easier for them as well as for us.

The frustrating part is the complete lack of info. With complete, I mean nada.

Ps. "When I win a million dollars"... Im gonna by them some REALLY nice signs and hire someone to put them all up in their office ;)

5. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also, the form that you have to fill out, is it complicated?

I do feel positive about tomorrow as I hope that they will simply give me the appointment and thats it.

If not, then Mauricio will go there with me and raise hell, hehe ;)

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The form that you complete at the interview is simple enough, and they don't even require that all of it be filled out: they will indicate (mark) the portions you must fill out.

I agree with you, that by giving more detail about the order in which the steps occur, and marking the stations in the office with the number for each of the steps, it would reduce the ambiguity for the applicants, and save them time.

Essentially, the steps are these-

Go online and submit your application;
    Go to the office, ask for a number (the ONLY time you are required to take a number) at the rightmost station at the counter in front of you as you enter and, when it's called, submit all the required documents to accompany the application (this is also done at the counter in front of you, as you enter, rightmost station): you will be given a document identifying your case;
    Check online from time to time to see if you've been invited to come back to the office (if you are, your case has been approved): this step typically takes about four weeks, but can be longer;
    Go to the office when invited, go to the counter in front of you as you enter, and hand the paper identifying your case to the lady behind the computer: she will then direct you to the appointment station (counter on the right as you enter, leftmost station), where you will be offered an appointment date and time; you will then be directed to the counter on the right as you enter, rightmost station), where you will get details regarding payments and photos, etc.;
    On the day and time of your appointment, you should get in line at the appointment desk where you will submit evidence of payment, photos, and be given a form to complete. If all is in order, you will then be given a day and time to return to pick up your card.

If all is in order, the best you can hope for is to do this in four trips to the office.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mauricio is a godsend, I'm telling you! I'll never set foot in that office again as long as Mauricio is around. It's impossible to do it on your own if you've got a day job that you can't take leave from, waste of time sitting in that awful office only to get the run around. If I had taken the morning off and was told to go back again the next morning, I'd be hardpressed to be able to do it. Can't wait to get my citizenship and be done with the whole mess. One more renewal......

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are right, CC. Unless you have the patience of Job are are working on cultivating it, unless you enjoy the hassle and run around, condescension and inefficiency and/or just wish to show how tough you are or how you are going to "teach" them, then I see no reason to be bothered--masicism aside of course. When I still had to do those things and even during the naturalization process, I paid someone else to do it.

I have so little space in my brain that I don't need other people taking too much of it! Just imagine how nice it would be in the Sates if you could just pay people to deal with the DMV for you! But then some people like to do their own taxes so go figure.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Aside from Rawkus' experience, it seems those who've posted about their recent dealings with INM have had pretty good things to say about it. T.J. wrote, in sum-
    Rawkus complained of his name being misspelled, and having to start the process over again, because of that; but, I'll remind the readers that the process starts with the applicant going online and inputting all the data, including one's full name, after which the completed application is printed X2 and taken to the INM, along with other required, supporting documents. Only the applicant would know if he had correctly entered his name, online, and whether it was correct as it appeared on the application he had completed. Errors made at that stage are not chargeable to the INM, and they will not be likely to catch such an error until the application, and supporting documents are reviewed.

I've recently commented that it is often hard to fully understand what may have happened, judging from a post, alone, so I may not have caught some aspect of what went wrong in Rawkus' case. I took what he said to have been a case of an objection by INM to a discrepancy between the spelling of his name in the application he submitted and the spelling of it in other documents, perhaps including his passport: sorry, if I misunderstood.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know Jim, it's great isn't it - I've got no time to go to immigration or anything like that so I think it's great to be able to pay someone to do it all and deal with the hassle which I don't need in my life.

I did my whole divorce from the parking lot at best day - a fist of pesos and a pen, no work missed :icon_biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice