Navigating Immigration, Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You're right, T.J., and that may be where most people go for this service.

I don't know if a better photo could be made of me!, but I'm talking about the effort to get a good studio quality photo done.

It's a small thing, really, but if you hate the photo in your FM2/3, or passport for that matter, it's going to irk you every time you have to present it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Inm terminal three

Again, we are reminded of T.J.'s suggestion, to pick up extra "re-entry" forms (F.M.E for Foreigners) issued by the INM whenever you have a chance. The forms are printed in red. You will need these to clear immigration when you leave Mexico, with plans to return (your FM3 alone is not enough). I found some extra ones on the plane on our last flight, and saved them for future use.

My wife flew out this week, terminal three: immigration was open at 0515 but they did not have any of the F.M.E. forms on hand, at the time. She had hers, filled out and ready to go: she said the INM officer there looked visibly relieved to see she had the form. I'm sure they solved the shortage problem, later, but it would have added to the stress of an early AM departure from terminal three if she hadn't had the forms.

Latest, from her, about the location of INM in terminal three is that Sun Country Airlines checkin, and INM, are now side-by-side on the outside wall, opposite the other airlines' check in counters. Finding INM in terminal three is now easier than ever, it seems.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  3. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Adding my surprisingly happy story from Immigration.

We received our Expediente Basico (the business part of our FM3) and Joanne's FM3 in just two visits (one to drop off and one to pick up.) Most surprising was that we only had to wait a few minutes after we submitted Joanne's proof of payment to receive Joanne's FM3. Normally that required another visit and another 7 days.

This has never been so efficient and easy before. The only rub is that my FM3, which was submitted at the exact same time with the same info, letters and receipts etc. was not ready. I'm hoping for it next week.

If so, this is a whole new IMN!

Rob

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Glad you had a good experience to report, in general. (Yours must have ended up on somebody else's desk, somebody just not quite as fast at getting through the pile of paperwork that greets them every morning. Sorry that happened to you, since you can't just "pop over" there, like we can.)

The staff there seem with it, and helpful. There are two exceptions that I've run into, one a young man who, while entering data, scans the lobby constantly for attractive girls (hope he's a good touch typist!). The other is inattentive enough to have given me an appointment for an interview, a few weeks hence, when I was just there to pick up my FM3 after an address change! In my bad Spanish, I couldn't seem to make him understand why this was a mistake. I then spoke with another agent, who fished out my FM3 with the new address already entered in it, and I was on my way.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    First Renewal FM3

My wife went to Immigration yesterday to renew her FM3 Visitante Rentista under the regime in place since 1 May this year: it was her first renewal

Trying ourselves the suggestion I made earlier on this thread not to submit a renewal too far ahead we applied for renewal on the last day of validity of her FM3

We presented-

1) her passport and a copy of it- they retained only a copy of the "photo-personal data page" (a single page from the copies);
    2) her FM3- no copies necessary- which they retained with the intention of replacing it with the new hard card format FM3;
    3) the printed application for renewal which she had done online- which they retained;
    4) letter requesting renewal signed by applicant- which they retained;
    5) proof of address- utility bill and a copy: they retained the copy (we also took our lease and a copy of it but they expressed no interest in it);
    6) her last three bank statements and copies of them- they retained the copies; and
    7) official translations of the last three bank statements and a copy of them- they retained the copies

We had carefully prepared everything in advance so we were able to go straight to the "Reception of Documents" area and ask for a number to put us in the waiting line: there were two people ahead of us and in about ten minutes our number was called

No fees were collected but we were lead to believe that there would be an official fee amounting to 1294 pesos to be paid later in the process

Everything was in order and we were told to come back in one calendar week: we were given a document that showed her FM3 was in process- all that is necessary to have to prove your right to be in the country and all that is needed besides your passport to travel in Mexico

Since my wife is planning foreign travel during the time her renewal is in process we were concerned about the procedure for getting a letter of permission to leave and reenter Mexico: there is a sign in the office that says effective July 21 you should submit a request of this type at least three business days prior to the time you'd like to have the letter in hand

For the detailed requirements to apply for permission to leave while you have matters pending before the INM click-

http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php?page/SALIR_DE_MXICO_PERMISO_DE_SALIDA_Y_REGRESO

Those who've been through the renewal process under the "old" regime will probably have noticed that- aside from the fact that the FM3 booklet will be replaced by an FM3 hard card and this will necessitate us providing some photos at some point in the process; and the requirement that the application be prepared online and printed by the applicant- there are few if any discernable differences in the process of renewal now as compared to the processes as they were prior to May 1 this year

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. playagrandma

playagrandma Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    fm3

V the picture has to be in color. Also a warning to all females or even guys with long hair-you will need to put hair behind your ears and way off the forehead. Not sure about cancun, but here in Playa mine was rejected because of my hair. Not sure how you can get a good photo having to do that.

Also again this may not be true but I was told that a new card will be issued every year. Since you will get more pictures than immigration needs, to keep my extras. Will see if that works. Also two poses-front and side.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's right grandma and that's good of you to point it out: the earlier discussion you made reference to was of the requirements for the photos before the new ID card process was introduced and the requirement now is much as you have stated- color photos- size "infantil"- side and frontal views- no jewelry- hair pushed back off ear on the side view and off the forehead on the frontal: those photographers who deal with these requests all the time have got the requirements down

We anticipated a need for the photos and had them made before we went in to apply for renewal but they didn't ask for them at the first stage of the process so we're still ready with them when they do

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I went by INM yesterday to check on progress and they chided me- very politely- for not having used their online system to check!

http://setram.inami.gob.mx:8080/solicitudes-web/seguimiento-tramite.html

When we submitted our documents we were given a paper which identified the case and provided a password for entering the system: I guess there is no increase in efficiency if people don't use it

I checked and saw that the case had been received and assigned; now it has been "classified" whatever that means!

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Permiso de salida y regresa

Using the online information system, as I was told to do, I saw that the renewal had still not been acted on. Since my wife had plans to travel to the U.S. later this month, it became necessary to ask for permission to leave and reenter Mexico while the renewal was in process (permiso de salida y regresa).

We presented our request this morning, and they said to come tomorrow afternoon to pick it up.

They also said they were working with a great backlog of renewals at the moment and had not yet completed those renewals submitted in June: knowing this will allow us to relax about hearing from them anytime soon about ours!

(Details regarding the requirements for the permiso are contained in the INM website: not mentioned is a requirement for a color photo!)

There is a fee of 287 pesos associated with getting the permiso, but the requirements are straightforward enough.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Renewals

This renewal process looks like it's going to end up being nearly eight weeks from start to finish, (FM3 Visitante Rentista). Online, we kept seeing the message, "sin resolucion", until about a week ago, when we stopped seeing anything! All we got was a message saying, "pagina no se encontrada", or something like that when we attempted to check the status of the case.

Since my wife was soon going to have to travel out of the country, again, we decided to go "rattle the cage" yesterday. We planned to complain, if necessary, but it turned out the renewal had been approved and we were given an appointment to come in to get the new document. They said it would be assembled, and delivered to us, at that appointment.

For me personally, the administrative end under the new procedures don't seem any more efficient that they were before. Having the card will be pleasant, but I wish the net result of the changes had been greater efficiency in the issuance and renewal process.... As far as I can see, there has been no change in that regard, but ours is just one case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice