Navigating Immigration, Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Exactly my point!!!! WHY does that happen???

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Tori it sounds like you're off to a good start but I'd be concerned about what you've submitted to prove your residence address: if it's not acceptable to the officer who reviews your documents it could cause a problem later

Here's something I wrote on the first page of this thread-

It would be better to go ahead and get this organized and submitted now rather than waiting for an objection to appear

3. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is all we were instructed to do...by our former lawyer as well as the lady accepting the application. But to get any info from my landlord is very easy...they love me : )

Not happy that it's been almost a week and when I checked online it still has Jan 2nd as the latest date and that the papers have been assigned. I really need the status to change to whether its accepted or even if they need more info.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This is the Temptation all right; but, to put it bluntly, the reliance is misplaced and risks unnecessary delay.

Your paperwork may slide through, but is not yet in correct form as correct is defined by the printed INM rules themselves, and could cause a delay when the case is reviewed.

You may have to get used to it.

In the usual course of events, the case officer will review the file at about four weeks, and determine if they are satisfied with what's been submitted- to that point in time.

5. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Then why in the world would they say to check back in 3 days if it takes 4 weeks? And why did you and TJ and whomever else get it done in days if it takes 4 weeks?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I feel for you Tori. You are dealing with "INM logic"... Ugh.

Im still waiting, since 6th of f*$#%& October... Still nada. At least it was submitted on time, making sure Im not illegal, hehe.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There is always a gap between what is required- and what is communicated, and understood about what is required. Take the time lost when you (Tori) dropped in your papers, simply because you didn't have the letter I'd told you would be required, in which you request the extension of the FM3. Something similar can now happen if the proof of your address is ultimately rejected by the officer who reviews the file. To avoid unnecessary loss of time, it's better to get everything in the best possible form from the beginning.

At a minimum, at this point, I'd get the proof of address set up correctly, just in case you're ultimately asked for it; that is, proof of your actual residence in Mexico, which can be a paid utility bill, bearing your actual address, for a utility service which is billed in your name; or, if the utility account is in the name of another, then, in addition to the bill and a copy of it- a letter from that person, 1) signed under a declaration they are telling the truth; which 2) shows the address of the property; and, 3) names you as living there, with 4) the date on which you began living there- together with a copy of their personal identification; and, a copy of each and every one of these.

They're really only talking about the first update of the file, which occurs in the first few days, and this is entered in the computer system where you can see it: the important update, in which you'll be summoned to the office, occurs much later (typically during the fifth week after submitting the paperwork).

T.J.'s case was taken out of sequence, and hand carried to the examining officer, because the agent wanted to do him a kindness. (She commented at the time that he had been very courteous in his dealings with them, as I understand it.)

The agents working there have repeatedly done nice things for me, and facilitated things, when necessary. It's not in their interests to make anyone's process harder than it has to be. They won't make it any harder for you, either, than it has to be; but, having the paperwork required will make things easier for them, and save everyone time.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  8. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I appreciate the PM you sent with all the info, and I passed it on to my Boss, whom is ultimately in charge. And when they spoke to the lawyer who used to handle our FM's, he told her otherwise. So while in the office, speaking to the "experienced" (and I say that loosely for obvious reasons) agent, we gave them what they each individually required. So for proof of address, they wanted a letter from me, stating I live there. No mention of the landlord. So if it is a "requirement", why didn't anyone say something there? If someone is working the intake of document station, they should know the in's and outs. End of story.

And do a google search around Mexico and the time line for the rest of the Countries turn around. Even Playa del Carmen has a less then 30 day turn around from time dropping off...to time FM is in their hands. There is no excuse for their lack of organization and information.

I was the third person handing in my documents after not accepting another person papers for 3 weeks. If they require more, that should have been already reviewed after 5 full days in their office.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond, but since you get favors done for you, you see things through rose colored glasses. I will have the landlord write something up, but I bet you I am never asked for it.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's right: it's just a matter of being prepared to meet any objection made later, to what you've submitted up to now, and they may never ask.

The difference between the approach I take, and that taken by some others, is that I look at the regulations, themselves, and what they state is required, rather than relying on anyone else to tell me what's required.

Frequently, the people working at the INM office have told me things which are not correct, about both the law and the proceedures: I ignore them, insofar as necessary, when they do. This has occasionally caused delay, but has not adversely affected me in any important way because I'm not relying on them for advice.

Should it be this way? Of course not, but that's the way it is, and it's that way in almost any government agency you care to name. I would never rely on the advice given me by IRS employees, either. It's just impossible for any of them to be as well informed on a limited subject as it is for the motivated customer.

10. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For proof of address, I've always had to bring in an electric/water bill, along with a letter from my landlord and a copy of their IFE (both sides).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice