Navigating Immigration, Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Went back today, to get my finished FM2.

Knowing that arriving late would pay off in terms of wait times, I went at 12:30 PM. I was asked to "wait a minute". I sat down, comfortably, thinking I knew what a "minute" was there. Thirty seconds later, my name was called, and I was handed my card! I was in and out in two minutes, card in hand!

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Congrats! Seems like INM are going in the right direction, at last.

Im still waiting. Nothing since I turned in my application(everything accepted, yada yada yada..) on the 6th of October. Lets see if they can break their 9 month record regarding yours truly, haha :)

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V - Congrats. I must remind you that my record remains intact, yet all are made to be broken. LOL

Rawkus - It must be the shoes.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    True, T.J., and I can't imagine it being broken! It's more solid than a three minute mile!

I remember a time when you used to pay big bucks to get someone to do renewals for you: aren't you glad to have the savings, and the hand's on feel you have now? If there ever were any real problem with your application, you'd now be the first to know it, and could quickly solve it, with none of the BS being laid on you by someone trying to cover up their screwing something up through inadvertance or inattention.

Recently I had yet another experience with that phenomenon when I violated my own rule about using "professionals" to do what I could do myself: I hired an accountant, just because I was tired of making trips to the tax office and dealing with the SAT's confusing website. It seemed fine, at first, with him jumping right on it and telling me he'd have everything in fine order in two days. A month later, when he hadn't yet completed what he'd said he'd do, and I got an email notice from the SAT reminding me that September's tax declaration was due, I gave up on him, and went to the tax office myself. Now, all truly is in order! (The reaction of the SAT representative, when I told them what had happened, suggested to me that they could probably offer a long list of "so-called accountants" around here who were more trouble than they were worth.)

There are, undoubtedly, some processes which require a professional's assistance, but poor professional assistance is worse than none at all....

For those who, for any reason, prefer to have someone go through the processes of obtaining an immigration document for them, and do it very professionally, there continues to be Mauricio Mendoza, frequently mentioned on this forum as an honest, and capable person who can do this for you, for a fee.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Started Jan 2, 2012: FM3 Renewal for Worker

A little long, but here is my experience......

Well, yesterday was my turn for the renewal process. Since last yr. the company had a lawyer, I only saw the inside the the INM office once. Since we are doing it ourselves to save $, I have to be present the entire time, and our office assistant whom seems to amazing at everything is accompanying me for translation purposes. So, here are my thoughts after day one.....

After the office being closed for three weeks for Holiday, I thought there would be a line down Nader. When I arrived at 8:15, there was about 10 ppl already there. Unlike other Government Offices, nobody "lines up," so the first one there is the first once served. Ya just sit around until the doors open and then it's a free for all. I ended up towards then back of the "line" at 9:00, which was about 30 ppl deep.

Once inside, I saw they finally used their pea brains to establish some kind of order with signs and ropes to create lines. Even so, some people still had no idea where to go. I was the 4th person in the line to the right to hand in my Documents. Bad thing was, a Lawyer, whom got there as the doors were opening was the first one in this line. She was submitting 6 peoples Applications. WTF!!!! (Lawyers should have their own day, time or location to go to.) Finally my turn and was told I was missing two pieces; a letter from me in Spanish requesting the Renewal, (which I told my office I needed but they said they never did one for anyone before, and pay stubs for me, (something we don't get).
    Got out of line and Angie and I created a letter and since the previous woman was gone, we will see if the next girl will ask for proof of salary. Back into line...got up and she didn't ask for it. But she didn't like our letter, so we had to do another one. And she didn't accept my water bill as proof of address since it isn't in my name. We needed to write a letter proclaiming this is indeed my address. Out of line again, and write up my letters. What I hopped was my last time getting in line she finally didn't ask for anything more and gave me the paper to check the system on Thursday as to it's status.

All in all... the office was not super busy yesterday, but I was actively working for the Renewal, in and out of lines for just over 3 hrs.

So, the clock has begun for me. Let's see what happens for a Working FM3 Renewal done by two newbies to the process.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think those who feel that the highlighted in red words above are relevant to them, are those who are new at it, like my friend Tori B, and simply don't submit the proper paperwork the first time. Seems she took someone with her who was inexperienced and gave her bad info.

I and others have gotten FM3s and FM2s without feeling "hassle, hurdles, insurmountable, or complicated."

Those who don't feel like doing it themselves need to use Lic. Mauricio Mendoza, who gets nothing but rave reviews from his clients. My bet is that he tells them what they need to bring him and they do it the first time and if they don't he does not turn it in to INM until he has the necessary docs. He has been recommended countless times on this forum. Fast and cheap. Doesn't get any better than that.

It stands to reason that if your electric bill (seemingly the most commonly acceptable document for proof of residence) is not in your name, then you need to get it into your name, or if it is in your landlord's name, you need to have a copy of the lease between the applicant and the person titled on the CFE bill. Duh - it is "Proof of Residence" and if the bill is not in your name, you need to connect the dots between the bill and the applicant.

In 2010 my FM3 took 3 weeks. In 2011 my FM2 took 9 days. Presumably I turned in the proper documents the first time.

Before turning in my docs for my FM2 I went to INM and asked exaclty what was needed. They gave me a paper and checked off the items I needed and it seemed pretty simple to bring them in. They did specify a letter in Spanish about what I wanted to do and it was about 3 sentences long. Going between 12:30 and 1:00 has been recommended multiple times by V as being the best time to avoid hoards of people.

K.I.S.S.

GOOD LUCK TORI B.

7. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The thing is the lawyer never ever asked my boss or any other employee for any additional information then what we took with us on Monday. So, it just proved to us, he did this very illegally and probably forged our signatures many times. Or just paid the ppl off, which are two theories as to why she no longer wants him handling our papers. So taking our office assistant went to "learn" the process. The day we went to find out what we needed was the last day they were open before their very extend holiday so they were beyond packed. And Monday was the first day open and with just two days to get out butts in gear before the FM3 expired. We never felt hassled or found the process complicated. Just annoyed they don't stream line the process so each worker gives all the same information. Not a case by case thing which is what happens over and over again... As I heard, "that is not what that lady/guy just told me" a dozen times. And with work, going mid morning and the hight of my work day is impossible. Must be done first thing. Again, would have been in and out but was given different info from different ppl. And the letter they wanted from me was about 4 paragraphs long by the time the second lady looked at it.

Glad to see they are getting the office organized, but their process is still all over the place

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good luck Tori. I used to freak out when my attorney, not Mauricio, did it and it went right to the wire where I had an out of country trip planned. But things at INM were drastically different then.

Chew some tail and you will get it done. But start with the list of what you need for the type of status you are seeking. And send Rene down there to flirt. I have seen him in action. LOL

9. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FM3 is already in process .So just waiting to check the status online later today, but I am not holding my breath. But like I said, I went early Monday and it wasn't too crowded, so I am hoping if they do need something else, they let me know asap.

The list of requirements, even for a workers FM3 renewal isn't bad at all. Just not all the agents there ask for all the same things....so just going and standing in the info line for an hr doesn't mean when you go to turn it in they won't request more or give you back things they don't want.

10. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its like the concept of procedures hasn't occurred to the Mexican government. My GF and I made the same FM3 application and she had to provide much more than I did.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice