Navigating Immigration, Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I dropped in my request for renewal of my FM2 on 31 October: on 7 November it was listed as "clasificado" on the website, which I understand to mean it has been reviewed, and approved. Next step is to get the appointment to present my evidence of payment, turn in my photos, and be fingerprinted.

Just to speed things up a little, I may drop by and ask for them to go ahead and schedule my appointment, rather than wait for an invitation to return to the office to appear on their website: if I don't, I'll be invited in two weeks or so after the change to "clasificado", if all is functioning normally. (No race to beat T.J.s processing record, as you will note!)

Recently, three exchange students from the UK applied for their FM3s. Somehow the personnel at reception of tramites didn't catch that the students had used the wrong online application forms: taking responsibility for this error in processing, the local INM helped the students amend their applications, accelerated the processing by setting an appointment just four days later, and they will get their migratory documents this week.

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Submitted my application on the 6th of October. All papers were accepted, but, not a word since... Nothing on-line, nada.

V: Have you heard any recent news on the new visa thats coming "soon"? Im curious regarding how they will do the transition. Called the jefe in DF, and he told me that I am qualified for the new visa, since Ive been this long on an FM3. At least some nice news for me, personally. :)

Im excited about Mexico finally taking this step - progress! :)

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nothing is being said, yet, that I've seen, on the official INM website.

As for the way the transition will be handled, this has been discussed on the "New Immigration Regulations" thread, under the heading "transitorios". A search for "transitorios" would probably take you to the posts involved.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think Rawkus is snakebit when it comes to INM. Something is wacky in that relationship. Admittedly I know nothing about his type of Visa/Application.

Hey Rawkus, did you just consult with Mauricio or is he on the case for you?

5. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Thanks man, will read about it later today. I can imagine that the entire INM is confused about it all.

TJ: Yes, Mauricio is on the case - Im done wasting time, energy and anger(haha) when it comes to INM. :) Cant wait for the new visa - not having to set foot in the office for 4 years, wow. :D

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Taking their sweet time

Well, today they finally got around to inviting me back to their offices to complete the last two steps in the process, which will require three more visits (the invitation appears on their website, when you access your case. It took them exactly one month from the time I dropped in my papers requesting renewal to "process" it).

When I go in tomorrow, they will set an appointment for me to return, and give me the instructions about how to pay, and what kind of photos to bring back to the office at the time of the appointment. Then, they'll invite me to come back in a day or two to pick up the document.

Boy, I'm glad I only have to go through this once a year!

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Well, time for us to start our annual 3 month immigration marathon again.

No sign of the new rules when Jannet went in today. This will be my third FM2 renewal, which followed a 4 yr old FM3. Doesn't seem to be getting any easier.

8. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I submitted 6th of October, and still nothing. Not surprised anymore. Kind of stopped caring, which is nice. :)

I really want the new visa to be as good as it sounds...

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The new rules are not yet in effect (and I see no signs of them being, any time soon), but there have been some subtle changes in the website, and in the flow of the application, even since T.J. went through his renewal.

As things stand now, when the message is posted to the website that you are to report to their offices you must take the following with you (unless you like making multiple trips as much as I do!)-

your passport, your photos, your CURP (not just the number but the CURP document, printed online); AND, you should have completed and printed the online form "Pre-registro en linea". [I haven't yet been able to open this (perhaps I don't have the right JAVA, or something), but it is found in "Seguimientos del tramite" on the website.]

Finally, you can now print the bank form, online, that you will need to pay the official fee at the bank. This is also an innovation in the process: we used to all use a xeroxed from provided at the INM offices. (I did this today: my "refrendo" of my FM2 costs 2,801 pesos, which I believe is the same fee I paid last year.)

I'll go back tomorrow, hopefully with everything in hand, including the Pre-registro, if I can get my computer to open the form for me. They told me today, they will give me a date and time to come pick up my new FM2 when I do.

P.S. If I understand what the girl told me today, if you can get all your stuff together before you go in, just as I spoke of above, they have cut one trip to the office out of the way they are now handling the cases!

It appears they are now doing everything they used to do at the appointments, such as the interview and the fingerprinting, without an appointment, eventhough there is still a sign that speaks of appointments!

There appears to be one other change: they now have you present evidence you've paid for the process at the time you receive the document, not at the time of the interview, as it was before- sensible changes, which will slightly expedite the process for those who are familiar with it, and its requirements.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I went back, as I mentioned above that I would, with all the required items: they served me while I waited, with no appointment required.

There was a line, so it took a while for my turn to come up. After they interviewed and fingerprinted me, they asked if I had my paid receipt with copies for the official fee and explained that they could, if I was willing to wait further, give me my document on this visit! I told them I'd prefer to come back for it Monday, and they said that'd be fine.

So, it's true that they are taking some of the trips out of the process, for those how know the requirements well enough: a well prepared person could now get through the whole process with just two trips to the INM- one to submit the application; and one to have the interview and receive the document. The first visit would take 30-40 minutes; the second, two hours or so, I'm guessing. If it proves out in practice, this would be a big improvement, for many (there were some minor wrinkles, such as people wandering away so that, when their names were called, they couldn't be located).

Had I been willing to wait, today, I'd have had my FM2 renewal completed in one month, and two days, which is near the time they give themselves by administrative rule (30 days). The cost was 2,801 pesos in official fees.

For max efficiency, timing is important: go to the offices at 12 Noon to drop in your application; go to the offices at 11 AM to submit everything else, if you wish to face the shortest lines, and wait times. Going early will, more often than not, net you more rather than less wait time- as you compete with everyone else who thought they'd get in and out, early!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice