Navigating Immigration, Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That was what I expected to happen, and that´s what did happen. My wife went today for her appointment. They were running late, so she had to wait about 45 minutes for them to call her case; but, five or so minutes later, she was on her way, having completed all the administrative processes involved in the appointment. She had told them she needed the FM3 no later than Monday, next week: they said that presented no problem, she could come back tomorrow and pick it up.

Now, if past experience is any guide, they may not have the FM3 ready when she gets there; but, past experience also teaches that they can prepare it in a reasonable amount of time, while she waits, which she will be prepared to do.

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Turns out I was entirely too pessimistic: my wife went, today, to pick up her FM3. There was no line, and the card was ready. She merely signed for it, and that was it!

The card itself contains the notation that it was her second renewal and, that she is a temporary resident of Mexico.

G., have you got any good news for us, yet?

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Handed the cash over to the lawyer on Tuesday. She said they would simply pay on Wednesday then go to immigration to pick up my FM2, and she'd probably be sending me an e-mail Wednesday afternoon.

Thursday afternoon and still no news... I'll shoot her an e-mail tomorrow.

4. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got my FM2 today :)

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    'Bout time! Congratulations! Next year, let's go for "inmigrado"!

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Our friend Yuvonne got her FM2 renewal last week, after 4 1/2 months, speaking of about time.

She traveled outside the country a couple of months ago and got the "letter" at the very last moment, on the way to the airport. 5 minutes more and the flight would have been closed and she would have been totally out of luck.

Bienvenidos a Mexico ! ! !

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Who was handling it for her, T.J.?

Well, G., looks like we both have to wait awhile, though I'm nearly a year ahead of you! On the INM website it says you have to be in inmigrante status for five years before applying.

Let's wait to see if there will be any changes in this, this year. Going "inmigrado" means no more renewals!

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V,

No one for a fee. I think SWilson was helping her but basically she did it herself. She will admit not to have good language skills so I guess it is amazing that it took ONLY 4 1/2 months. At least she laughs about it too but no one was laughing when I was taking her and a friend to the airport and was waiting outside of INM.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Few Changes

I was in the offices of INM, Cancun, very recently, and nothing much has changed that I could see. Most of the same people were still there, thankfully among them were the ones who have consistently been the most helpful and approachable among the staff.

I'm in the process of collecting the documentation for my FM2 renewal, and will have everything ready to submit fairly soon.

When I went from FM3-FM2 last year, it caused my renewal date to change: it's now the 26th, rather than the 8th of November, so I have a little longer to wait before I put in the paperwork.

T.J., another of the "do-it-yourselfers" among us, was also in the office, recently, and I think he has a fairly positive experience to report. He was asking for a change from FM3-FM2, as I understand it, something very adviseable for those who can manage it in anticipation of the implementation of the new law, which will probably come either very late this year, or early next year.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  10. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right V,

The trip to INM before I went to turn in my application was quick and smooth and informative. The gal with the long, very curly hair helped me and she is great.

Turning in the paperwork was quick too. In and out in about 30 minutes or less. They kept the following:

-Original FM3
    -Copy of Passport, picture page only
    -Copy of CFE bill
    -The signed and dated application form that I filled out online (Iin the Comentarios section I had entered my FM3 number, issue date and expiration date

- A very short letter stating
    "Quiero cambiar mi calidad migratoria de No Inmigrante a Inmigrante" and not much more. Short and sweet.

- Printouts of my most three recent bank statements in the name that matches my passport. RIGHT STEVE??
    I think that was all for now. I had other assorted things that they just handed back. My submissions were all packaged nicely in a one gallon ziplock freezer bag.

They gave me the form with the number of the application, password, telling me to check the site in 4 days and thereafter until I get a message to come back.

Should be good to go for now.

Thanks to V for taking a look at my file over a glass or 3 of good wine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice