Navigating Immigration, Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh, man. That is a clusterf****. :) Good luck!

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Opps! Well, G., what would you think about just letting it be until the next renewal: notice, you'll get a new card at that time (doesn't the one you have now have an expiry date, on the back? Mine does), and you can check to be sure they don't give you one with obvious errors in it.

In the meantime, whenever you have to verify your BD for any purpose, you could use your passport, or other document, which does have the correct date on it.

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yup, expires in August!

Only problem is that Jorge and I are getting legally married in the next few months, and I wouldn't want the incorrect birthdate to affect any of my marriage documents... maybe I'll just sort the whole thing out then.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The judges are awfully nice and easy to deal with, in my experience. We met with two different ones in setting up our marriage in Mexico, and they were both pleasant. I'm sure they will NOT rely on what your INM documentation says but will rely on your original passport and (for good measure) apostiled birth certificate, since there is that discrepancy.

On the otherhand, I would expect it to be simple and straightforward to get INM to reissue your card, with BD corrected! (But, it would probably involve two to three trips to INM to get the job done.)*

I'd try going to the appointment station (counter on right, as you enter, leftmost station) where an extremely nice pair work. Tell them the situation, present originals and copies of your FM3, passport, apostiled birth certificate, and a letter, written in Spanish, requesting the reissuance of your FM3, with data corrected. You will also need to provide new photos. If there is anything else you may need to do (such as to go to the INM website, initially) these ladies will tell you so.

There will be no fees associated with this, I expect.
    *The reason I don't think much will be involved is that this is a simple clerical error, easily established, and changed. If they wanted, they could present your matter to one of the senior staff, point out the error and get permission to reissue the card, on the spot, in one visit, with total elapsed time of one hour.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  5. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks V! I assume it would be easy, but I would hate to take 2 -3 mornings off of work in addition to a few extra mornings to get permission from INM to marry a Mexican (yet another tramite).

To keep my boss from getting frustrated, I'll probably try to do both at once. Thanks for directing me to the "nice people" counter... can't stand the two ladies with the sour faces at the middle counter (straight ahead as you walk in the door).

Also, I believe Registro Civil only requires a passport. The list of requirements they gave us mentioned an apostilled birth certificate, but said that if none was available, a passport would be just fine. :)

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best of luck, Gringation! :)

My process should get rolling tomorrow, when Mauricio will go to INM and demand a meeting with the lady who is handling my stuff.

He was NOT pleased with how they had handled this and agrees that the time spent waiting and lack of info is, simply put, wrong.

He also mentioned that with the latest changes, things are SLOWER than they supposedly were only some 6-8 months ago...

Reorganization doesnt always mean improvement, haha ;)

I hope to get my stuff sorted in a couple of weeks or so.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But Rawkus, as you know, you turned in your application the day before I turned mine in. I have had my FM3 for weeks.

That is so not right and I am sure no Mauricio.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,212 / 14
    They've had mine since early December. Getting the come back tomorrow routine too. They dont say why or what we need to bring, they'll tell us that tomorrow.

We'll go back in 2 weeks.

9. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They claim to need a written petition to correct their typos. Such was the case when I needed a new CURP after my typoed bithday on the old CURP under than FM3 and I got a new FM2 last year. They typed it wrong one of of three times. I tried and they said a written letter. I happed to see Mauricio outside and he said, written letter. I said, why don't you go in and tell them this will greatly delay my declarations to SAT. He did and came back with the corrected FM2, no letter. Went right back to Palapas and they didn't even bat an eye that I was back the same day!

10. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T.J.: Ive decided to not waste any more energy on being angry at INM and their incredibly incompetent staff :)

Mauricio will handle it from now on.

Sucks when sh*t like this happens, especially when you do it all the RIGHT way... Ugh.

Steve: I know what you mean, unfortunately...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice